-

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the first report of D12-5 two-packs in a Wal-mart that i am aware of. This would mean that they will be selling a rocket that can use the D12-5 motor. Obviously this new rocket is part of the product mix that will be on the shelves as the stores complete the 're-set' and get in the new stock.

Hopefully the average in-DUH-vidual does not install the D12-5 motors in the booster stages.......

The Walmarts in my area are stocking motors/ E2X boosters, and basic launch kits. The one I frequent most often of course only has 2 packs of D12-0, but one of the others had B6-4 (3 pk), C6-5 (3 pk), D12-0, and D12-5. Now that store only has D12-5 2 packs, and D12-0 2 packs....wonder how that happened :D I havent checked the other 3 Walmarts in the area to see what they have.

I saw them at my Walmart today the two packs of d12-0 for $2 apiece is that a good deal? What can i do with them without an ejection charge?

I saw them at my Walmart today the two packs of d12-0 for $2 apiece is that a good deal? What can i do with them without an ejection charge?
two bucks per-SWEEP THE SHELF, MAN! Even if you have no use, these are bargaining chips. I need to send my BIL (He's in ST George) and maybe Stickershock (he's just a few miles up the road) out to claim as many as possible. Every once in a while Wally drops the ball. I got a very nice CF deepsea rod and reel for $12.00! HA! Do you think I complained or even thought twice-nope! How many times do I do salt water fishing a year? 1 or less. As far as ejection charge- these are for two stage rockets as the booster motor. Trust me-SOME time in the future, you will wish you snapped these up!

Having seen a few posts here about the "$2 for a two-pack" on D12-0 motors, I've scoured the Walnuts in this area for this deal and have come up with no such deal. Many of the stores don't even carry Estes products. The ones that do have only discounted them to half-price, $5 for a two-pack (picked up two of these - all they had). I've found some stores that have many packs of the D12-0 and some three-packs of the A8-3 motors but they are still all at their regular price of $9.97 each. One store had lots of both of these plus some three-packs of B6-somethings; they were on a Clearance shelf but still carried their full price on the tags. I checked with the price scanner and it confirmed the full price.

When I told someone at the customer service desk that they were behind the curve on marking this product down, she told me that each store responds to it local competitors. As best I know, there aren't too many other stores or shops selling these in this area. A floor manager confirmed the half-price at the other store in the region and offered to sell me one of her full-price packs at that price. I thanked her but told her I was looking to buy more than one pack. I'll keep checking back in the two stores I know have stock but I'd be surprised if they stay on clearance to make it down to the $2 level.

BTW, what is that smell that carries over from each Walmart to another?

Kenn- that smell is from the shipping containers. We send them landfill and they send back kitchen gadgets for the dollar stores. Every other trip, they get routed to Wally's.....

I think it was Walmart where I got a couple of c6-5 packs that had wadding too. Toys R Us may do that as well. Hard to keep track, but you never know where you are going to find a good deal.

It is possible they are preparing for Christmas sales, Halloween stuff appeared in Walmarts here several weeks ago.

As for Walmart prices, several times over the last 5 years I have caught C and D engines on close out for $1-$2 per 2-3 pack and scooped them all. Usually you get wadding too. If they're stocking up now there will be a super sale at some point in the future probably right after Christmas but you have to be there to get in on it. I have found the Walmarts in smaller towns the best chance for a great deal.

Verna
www.vernarockets.com
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
https://www.facebook.com/RocketBabeDustStorm

Last edited by a moderator:

Lots of things-- saucers and pyramids, spools and monocopters and other such rockets typically use -0 motors... They're also good for CHAD staging and of course their intended role as D12-0 booster motors in multistagers...

Art Applewhite's site has a ton of fun designs for saucers and pyramids to make use of -0 motors of all sizes.

Great fun! OL JR :)

If it's not too late, sweep the shelves, man, and then you can sell them out of your trunk at an area launch and make a profit!

Last timeI looked over rocket motors at a WalMart, it appeared that they did not pro-rate by impulse. So one paid as much for a pack of B-motors as for C-motors. I can't recall ever seeing D12s offered recently.

Canned tuna is now 5oz instead of 7oz.
Ice cream is now 48oz instead of 64oz
Orange juice is now 59 oz instead of 64oz

And the price has gone up on all of them, and more besides...

And they're still not fooling anybody...

Later! OL JR :)

I saw a show a few years back where a "marketing weasel" said the consumer preferred it that way.

>And they're still not fooling anybody...

No they are not!

Everything in stores now comes in smaller packages. Hard to find sugar in 5 pound bags anymore but the 4 pound price is the same as 5 used to be. We buy Keebler crackers; the box is the same size but the stacks inside are about 8 crackers per stack shorter than last year. Even soap bars are smaller.

Don't even get me started on Oreos! :mad:

Verna
www.vernarockets.com
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
https://www.facebook.com/RocketBabeDustStorm

Last edited by a moderator:
YA I noticed that in my Oreos too!...those bastards.....I can still get 5 lb bags of sugar from Wegmans. The store brand is still 5lb bags. Icecream same thing, no more half gallon cartons. But sadly sooner or later at the rate things are going these will be moot points. This country is slowly tearing itself apart. :(

YA I noticed that in my Oreos too!...those bastards.....I can still get 5 lb bags of sugar from Wegmans. The store brand is still 5lb bags. Icecream same thing, no more half gallon cartons. But sadly sooner or later at the rate things are going these will be moot points. This country is slowly tearing itself apart. :(

Blue Bell is "still a half-gallon"... says so right on the container...

Plus it is THE best ice cream known to man--- everything else is a cheap imitation not worth buying...

Later! OL JR :)

And the way we calculate inflation now is different that we used to, so the rate we hear from the Fed is not the true rate as when food and fuel prices used to calculate inflation. I wonder if there is a website that shows the true inflation rate?

So to keep this thread on topic - Where in a Walmart would I find Estes stuff? Toy Dept? Near what?

Finally located D12-0s at the Midland MI Walmart. Had to ask a sales associate. They were on a floor-level shelf in toys and scanned at $9.99 per two-pack. There are other items in the stores which have been reduced in price which the displayed price hasn't caught up to yet.

There was a new display standing in the isle as Walmart is want to do and there were several RTF's and A, B, and C motors. The display said there were more in the toy isle.

Looks like my store is now carrying rockets after years of nothing. The display was printed cardboard with other toys, I'm betting they hit many Walmarts.

Where in a Walmart would I find Estes stuff? Toy Dept? Near what?

I found them on the bottom shelf in the Toy department, next to the models and action figures. Look for things designed to appeal to teen boys. They group interest levels together.

For those of you who have a WalMart that is stocking Estes Rocket products are they using the new wire engine rack display? This new rack will allow any WalMart to order any engine that has been depleted when needed instead of having to wait until every single pack of motors has been sold before new stock can be ordered.

John Boren

The 2 packs are coming and as a previous poster pointed out, this is likely due to inflation and demand.

There comes a time with any hobby product company wherein the cost of their product begins to have diminishing returns with each subsequent increase in cost.
Actually this affects any company that produces non-essential goods or services.
It does a company, such as Estes, no good to raise their prices by 5% if that increase in price decreases the dollar amount of product sold by 7%.

The above is exacerbated when a large percentage of the people doing the purchasing are seeing an actual dollar amount decrease in their take home pay; this above and beyond the inflation of all other NECESSARY goods and service consumer prices.

Everyone has a tipping point; that price for a product that we simply will not pay. If the product is something we have to have, food, transportation, housing, medical care etc. that price can get pretty steep, actually it can go so far as to drive people into the streets.

Hobby items don’t fall into that category, so as they reach that price-point we simply stop buying them and move onto something else. That’s one means by which any hobbies participation numbers shrink. Another is that with the increasing prices new potential hobbyist looks at those prices and thinks “I’ll just stick with playing games on my computer” and the hobby doesn’t grow.

Personally I’m of the opinion that getting young kids interested isn’t the way to grow the hobby. Kids are dependent on their parents’ dime and time which can disappear in an instant. Sure it might leave an impression on the child and twenty years later, assuming we haven’t suffered the “Zombie Apocalypse” and the child in question hasn’t had his brain eaten, he or she might return as a “BAR”. That’s a heck of a time frame on which to pin the hopes of the hobby.

What we need is to get one or both of the parents interested in participating, get them flying mid and high power and the kids get to tag along.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I certainly don't want to buy my rocket motors at Walmart. This is especially true seeing how the price is basically full retail. Heck, i don't want to go to Walmart for anything if I don't have to! Price is about the only factor when shopping at Walmart. It is definitely not the service.... The selection bites as well. I used to shop there all the time until I had to go there several times to get basic items.. razors, soap etc.. they never seem to have what I went there for! Don't even get me started on the majority of the people it attracts! I only go there if I need to save a few bucks, even then the horrible experience is almost not worth it. Oh, and if I really need something from Walmart and I can wait a couple of days, there is this thing called the "internet". Walmart will deliver items to your front door! It is amazingly wonderful without the full up Walmart experience!

Back to the original subject.. the price per motor in a 2 pack is about the same per motor as a 3 pack..... so what's the big deal?

Jerome

Sorta related...

Spotted at HobbyLobby in Allen TX at noon today, 2-pack of D12-5's @$11.49 right above a 3-pack of the same motors @$16.99. Not a welcome trend.

"See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end." Matthew 24:6

Back