• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Custom 4" nosecone...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on a special project, and I need someone who could turn out a faithful copy of this design...

Classified 4in nosecone.jpg

please email me your bids kteshath0tmai1d0+c0m

Thanks!
Jim

Attachments

• Classified 4in nosecone.ork
    1.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Keep us posted as to who you select, price, and results

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Building a Mega Streak?

I'm building something... but I'm not telling anyone, except those that already know out of necessity.

Well, I'll give you this little bit to gnaw on... It may be my L1.

What is the shoulder length and diameter?

What is the shoulder length and diameter?

I simmed this up on OR using a Giant Leap 3.9 tube. (4.01 OD x 3.928 ID). However, I could be talked into a different 4" tube.

L: 2"
D: 3.928"

(oh, and yes, the front of this is "dead flat", any curvature you are seeing in the image is an artifact of the 3D simulation (that goes for the back of the shoulder too))

The shape is flat, a bevel, an ogive, and the shoulder.

Front flat portion is 2.155" in diamater.
The bevel goes from 2.155" to 2.6" in diameter in a distance of .149"
The ogive portion goes from 2.6" to 4.01" in a distance of 3.046" (shape parameter 1.0)

Last edited:
So it looks to take on a "hollow point" design without the hollow point right?

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1405395049.689766.jpg
I have yet to finish this one but it will soon become the blank for a mold and then have a solid hardwood teak tip.

If you're interested in a wooden nosecone, Gordy can make you one out of basswood. Wood and the time required to do so aren't cheap, but he does really nice work -- I've had him turn a couple custom pieces for me.

-Kevin

Well, it could be printed. I've done a couple of 4" cones before. I would make the shoulder detachable via screws, giving access to the open interior of the NC. And it would have an integral 'pig snout' attachment point, which is quite strong.

flat-bevel-ogive101.jpg

Add this nose cone to an MDRM body tube...hmmmm.

Yes, you did put that together from my other post... Turns out that the MDRM is too short for my needs due to the slotted nature of it's body tube. I still am willing to bet that you are nowhere near what I've got going on. Say a $0.02 Gentleman's bet.

Well, it could be printed. I've done a couple of 4" cones before. I would make the shoulder detachable via screws, giving access to the open interior of the NC. And it would have an integral 'pig snout' attachment point, which is quite strong.

View attachment 177774

PM Sent... w/request for more info.

Last edited:
Yup, I'm completely clueless.

Bump... The first round winner for the bid hasn't been in contact with me for some time, so I need to put this back out for bid. I'd prefer 3D printed vs Balsa (gives me more flexibility for an additional "payload".

Anyone? Anyone?

You could always try MakeXYZ.com Lots of guys with 3D printers there. I've got a project out right now with a guy from there.

Thanks for the replies... I've got emails out there, I'm just waiting for replies.

Oh, and I've updated the image and .ork based on info from Mike Fisher (Binder Designs) as I'm using his 4" tube for the build.

Classified 4in nosecone (updated).jpg

Attachments

• Classified 4in nosecone (updated).ork
    1.5 KB · Views: 17
I've finally made a decision... I'd like to thank everyone for their bids and work.

Landru was able to come up with a bid and a solution to the shoulder's length that will work for me.

Thanks Guys!
Jim

Back