Super Alpha 24mm Mod Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

race 58

Reaction score
I'm building a Estes Super alpha and I have added a baffle, kevlar shock cord and a 24mm motor mount with an 18mm adapter.

The question I have is about the nose cone.
The earlier ones I have read had a real dense/heavy balsa nose cone while the newer ones have a plastic nose cone due to the (according to Estes) balsa shortage.

I have also read that others have converted to 24mm without adding any nose weight but would not some be needed with the plastic version?
If so... does anybody have any info how much did the original balsa NC weighed? I've been searching but I don't seem to find any references to the new/replacement plastic nose cone.

Thanks
Ed

my balsa nose weighs in at 43g, I don't currently have a plastic nose of that size/shape but, using a bertha nose suggests a weight somewhere around 14g. you should weigh yours to get an accurate weight. looks like you may need approx. 28g of nose weight (which sounds about right since a D motor is roughly 28g heavier.
Rex

I built a Super Alpha with a 29mm mount. Once I put a Raven and Tx in the nose cone my CG was good. I've not flown it yet.

Tony

my balsa nose weighs in at 43g, I don't currently have a plastic nose of that size/shape but, using a bertha nose suggests a weight somewhere around 14g. you should weigh yours to get an accurate weight. looks like you may need approx. 28g of nose weight (which sounds about right since a D motor is roughly 28g heavier.
Rex

Thanks Rex,, I will add some lead in the tip,, I'll be using 18mm with the adapter and aerotech reloads for it.

With a 43g baseline I will be able work it out now.

Ed

OR says the CP is about 2.75 inch from the back end of the body tube. (based on an original Alpha, upscaled to BT60) Just add enough weight for a proper CG....

Back