• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

or [Trade] DIY Telemega Flight Computer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbertelsen

Reaction score
In a weak/crazy moment of wanting to get my hands dirty with surface mount circuitry and microcontrollers, I went about cloning the Altusmetrum Telemega flight computer over the summer. I currently have a spare that I can't justify hanging on to. The original though was to make sure that I got at least one working board out of the process, but my success rate was 100%.

You can get all of the technical specs from https://www.altusmetrum.com/TeleMega/ if you aren't familiar with them. Some of the construction process specs:

• 4-layer PC boards from OSHpark.com
  • all components from major US suppliers
  • solder paste applied with a mask for correct amount application
  • all parts hand-placed under a dissecting microscope (this took HOURS!)
  • reflow soldered on a laboratory hot plate
  • all components visually inspected
  • larger components placed and soldered
  • powered up, firmware loaded, RF calibrated
  • tested GPS, transmit/receive, and firing circuits

The Telemega pictured below can be yours if you can pique my interest enough. I will consider any offers PM'ed to me during the next couple of days. I will give priority to trades* over cash.*** As with any rocketry electronics, you are responsible for its verification and use. (Check your laws for amateur radio license requirements.) There is no implied warranty from Altusmetrum.

*Trades that might entice me (in no particular order):
  • CTI hardware (38mm+)
  • FG HPR rockets
  • LPR & HPR scale rockets
  • Sirius Rocketry Saturn V???
  • HPR parachutes

***As I mentioned, this was mostly to try my hand at the process and make something I've been drooling over in the process, not to make quick buck or detract from Bdale's and Keith's sales.

TeleMega-Overall.jpg

TeleMega-SMTside.jpg

TeleMega-TableScreen.png

Last edited:
I don't do things half-way. :D This was a a great way to get my hands dirty with SMD circuitry. My rocket room has temporarily turned into the electronics room. I've made a total of about 12 various devices over the last two months. I started on some easier projects and worked my way up to these.

Holee cow,

Impressive clone. Gold medal do-it-yourselfer if you ask me. Kurt

I've got a couple of offers on the table for the TeleMega and plan to decide in the next 48 hours or so. It's still not too late to make an offer. (Quick clarification: I'm looking for kits, not RTF rockets -- as you might guess, I'm a builder.) ;)

Doug

In a weak/crazy moment of wanting to get my hands dirty with surface mount circuitry and microcontrollers, I went about cloning the Altusmetrum Telemega flight computer over the summer. I currently have a spare that I can't justify hanging on to. The original though was to make sure that I got at least one working board out of the process, but my success rate was 100%.

You can get all of the technical specs from https://www.altusmetrum.com/TeleMega/ if you aren't familiar with them. Some of the construction process specs:

• 4-layer PC boards from OSHpark.com
  • all components from major US suppliers
  • solder paste applied with a mask for correct amount application
  • all parts hand-placed under a dissecting microscope (this took HOURS!)
  • reflow soldered on a laboratory hot plate
  • all components visually inspected
  • larger components placed and soldered
  • powered up, firmware loaded, RF calibrated
  • tested GPS, transmit/receive, and firing circuits

The Telemega pictured below can be yours if you can pique my interest enough. I will consider any offers PM'ed to me during the next couple of days. I will give priority to trades* over cash.*** As with any rocketry electronics, you are responsible for its verification and use. (Check your laws for amateur radio license requirements.) There is no implied warranty from Altusmetrum.

*Trades that might entice me (in no particular order):
  • CTI hardware (38mm+)
  • FG HPR rockets
  • LPR & HPR scale rockets
  • Sirius Rocketry Saturn V???
  • HPR parachutes

***As I mentioned, this was mostly to try my hand at the process and make something I've been drooling over in the process, not to make quick buck or detract from Bdale's and Keith's sales.

View attachment 177193

View attachment 177194

View attachment 177195

Pm sent

The Telemega has been offloaded. Thanks to all who looked and offered up trades. There may be a similar offer made up for a DIY Telemetrum.

Thanks,
Doug

Well done!

Heh. Thanks, but no worries! If nothing else, you've proven to anyone who may have had doubts that Keith and I really are dead serious about our commitment to open hardware and open source! Bravo!

Bdale, if you are at one of the OROC meetings anytime soon, you can get a look at his neat handywork!

Bdale,

It has been a great learning experience; I eventually hope to dig around a bit in with the Android app and pay it forward. That might be my next summer project. I'll try to drop by during AIRFest and bring a board or two. I did have a chance to meet up with Keith last year, but you were at the away pads during the hold on Saturday; perhaps the stars will align this year.

Doug

Bdale, if you are at one of the OROC meetings anytime soon, you can get a look at his neat handywork!

I live in Colorado, but I hope to join Keith at the late August launch in Brothers, and will then be in Portland for a few days attending part of Debconf...

It has been a great learning experience; I eventually hope to dig around a bit in with the Android app and pay it forward. That might be my next summer project. I'll try to drop by during AIRFest and bring a board or two. I did have a chance to meet up with Keith last year, but you were at the away pads during the hold on Saturday; perhaps the stars will align this year.

That would be great, Doug! With two international friends trying to get L3 certs done (both successfully!) in our group, the weather, and the fire, I really did spend a bunch more time sitting out at the away RSO tent last year than usual...

I have some fun flights planned this year, but nothing that complicated or stressful! Definitely come find us and take a look at some of our new toys... hopefully we'll be in our "usual place" in the vendor area.

With two international friends trying to get L3 certs done (both successfully!) in our group, the weather, and the fire, I really did spend a bunch more time sitting out at the away RSO tent last year than usual...

....And it was greatly appreciated! Wish I could attend this year, but a new child curbs the travel spending a bit ;)

Back