"Natural Green" Fiberglass Kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlnessW

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone nowadays sells Performance Rocketry kits (Competitors, Intimidators, etc) in the original "natural green" fiberglass? As I understand Curtis' designs are now available through Wildman, but it would seem as though Wildman kits are now ALL in black fiberglass.

Give WM a call he might to able to get you one. Or maybe there is a kit Mad Cow sells you may like, I think he still has the green FG.

Give WM a call he might to able to get you one. Or maybe there is a kit Mad Cow sells you may like, I think he still has the green FG.

Cool, thank you!
Hmm, Madcow's got some nice stuff too... ;)

Out of curiosity, what advantage do you get out of green FG over black FG?

I like natural green, because I can see the epoxy and internal structure as the airframe is built.

InjectCR.jpg

Here the epoxy is visible as it is injected above the centering ring

...I wish it was something we still saw in kits...the last kit I received from Wildman, I asked for natural green; it wasn't available in anything but black.

All the best, James

Last edited:
I like natural green, because I can see the epoxy and internal structure as the airframe is built.

InjectCR.jpg

Here the epoxy is visible as it is injected above the centering ring

...I wish it was something we still saw in kits...the last kit I received from Wildman, I asked for natural green; it wasn't available in anything but black.

All the best, James

Whaat kit is this?

Gotta admit - I really like the black fiberglass simply for the cool factor. But all things considered, I'd prefer that they still came in natural/green as standard.

I had grand designs of painting accents on black fiberglass for my 3" DarkStar, but in the end that proved to be much more difficult than simply painting the whole rocket. Which sort of negates the whole "black fiberglass" thing. The actual builds are easier with green, or at least somewhat translucent, parts.

I also kit-bashed a RW Rascal that came with a old-school molded nose cone. This cone also came in black. But all sanding/smoothing/fitting that was required pretty much made a mess of the gelcoat finish on it so, again, in the end I had to paint it anyway. And again, the fact that it was black was a moot point.

s6

I agree, most of the time I'd prefer natural. I'd also prefer G10 over G12 tubes, but nobody seems to be making those any more either.

But all things considered, I'd prefer that they still came in natural/green as standard.
Likewise.

Ah, the "good old days."
But back to the question at hand...
I'm wondering if anyone nowadays sells Performance Rocketry kits (Competitors, Intimidators, etc) in the original "natural green" fiberglass?

Couldn't you just primer it first with gray primer and paint it white? I mean that's what I would do
Yes, I always prime with a flat coat of gray or white before shooting color.

Ya I prefer the natual color just called wildman today to order a mini darkstar kit still on special only had black. he said all his kits are all black. I wanted the natual green color for a night rocket for the opacity for the color to shine thru. Kinda bummed out:cry:

I'm wondering if anyone nowadays sells Performance Rocketry kits (Competitors, Intimidators, etc) in the original "natural green" fiberglass? As I understand Curtis' designs are now available through Wildman, but it would seem as though Wildman kits are now ALL in black fiberglass.

Wildman has the exclusive rights to those kits [and many more] you mentioned above. If you are willing to wait till another run of tubes comes up, call him and ask how long it would take to get one in raw/green.

Otherwise black is where it's at.LOL

I do see your point on the green fiberglass, about being about to see the epoxy. I do like the look of the black glass though. I just got my av bay tube and some bulkheads from Wildman. Ready to do some more building. :)

So I should put my all green glass 4" Vindicator Dual deploy up for auction???
Cripes! I'd have to find the box it's hiding in.

Adrian (who's mostly kidding, but if you throw too much money at me... :confused2:)

Dang, I just built three 4" green glass kits. May have been worth their weight in gold!

[HINT] HINT HINT HINT

Dear Mr Wildman...... Pls have one of your upcoming specials which offers a couple of kits (3,4 or 4+") in OLD SKOOL Green!

HINT HINT HINT [ENDHINT]

Funny thing is I'm starting to like night flying and the black kits would really bite for that use. C'mon CJ even you can see that!

Ya I prefer the natual color just called wildman today to order a mini darkstar kit still on special only had black. he said all his kits are all black. I wanted the natual green color for a night rocket for the opacity for the color to shine thru. Kinda bummed out:cry:
That is a bummer! And like you mention, black fiberglass isn't much use for night rockets.

Wildman has the exclusive rights to those kits [and many more] you mentioned above. If you are willing to wait till another run of tubes comes up, call him and ask how long it would take to get one in raw/green.

Otherwise black is where it's at.LOL
That's exactly what I thought. I'll get in touch with him for sure...

So I should put my all green glass 4" Vindicator Dual deploy up for auction???
Cripes! I'd have to find the box it's hiding in.)
Hehehe...

[HINT] HINT HINT HINT

Dear Mr Wildman...... Pls have one of your upcoming specials which offers a couple of kits (3,4 or 4+") in OLD SKOOL Green!

HINT HINT HINT [ENDHINT]
Oh yeah - now we're talking!! :wink: Hmm, maybe even 5"...

Just heard back from Tim at Wildman, he said that all of his kits are in black fiberglass now, just like many of you suspected. Harrrrrrrummmmph!

To paraphrase Henry Ford, "You can have any color as long as it's black."

Then can we have opaque 'black' please. That would be tres kewl. Think about it, an opaque black rocket with a BRIGHT set of LEDs inside it. The glow would be real spooky.

Then can we have opaque 'black' please. That would be tres kewl. Think about it, an opaque black rocket with a BRIGHT set of LEDs inside it. The glow would be real spooky.

Opaque (adj) - not able to be seen through; not transparent.
"the windows were opaque with steam"
Synonyms: nontransparent, cloudy, filmy, blurred, smeared, smeary, misty, hazy.

Opaque (adj) - not able to be seen through; not transparent.
"the windows were opaque with steam"
Synonyms: nontransparent, cloudy, filmy, blurred, smeared, smeary, misty, hazy.

How about "translucent" black? (You could call it smoked glass.) Not sure if that's possible, as I'm not in the business of manufacturing FG tubing.

I built a Rocketry Warehouse tomahawk kit in December and that came in the natural green!

As to "translucent black" working in night/lighted rockets - not really.

All that would accomplish is to darken/dim whatever lights are inside. Which would mean for it to work, you would need VERY bright lights. And then the effect would be pretty much the same as using much less powerful lights (which would be cheaper/lighter/etc.) in a white or light-colored translucent airframe - like natural/green fibreglass.

s6

Back