The Last Ship?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hornet driver

Reaction score
Anybody else watch this. I was looking forward to it but after the first episode I had some-------hmmmmm---problems with it !!! I'm going to give it another chance next episode but I think it will go the way of The Dome--Revolution--and Continuim----in my ," not to watch list " I liked the premise but they need to get the tech/real world parts correct.

I watched it, and yeah, it was pretty Cheesy. Like a Sci-fi Channel Movie. I'll watch it again to see if it gets interesting though.

I watched it, and yeah, it was pretty Cheesy. Like a Sci-fi Channel Movie. I'll watch it again to see if it gets interesting though.

You hit the nail on the head--Sci-fi Channel Movie------ehhhhh, we'll see where it goes.

A few issues….

The "Russian" Helicopters sure seemed to look a lot like U.S. helicopters (as though the effects people had some computer model files of U.S. copters but not Russian ones).

Hunters can kill deer by shooting them with rifles while flying aboard a copter, but Russians with machine guns, flying in copters, can't hit the side of a barn (or snowmobile). Like, man, they didn't even kill one token "redshirt".

The ship gets all sorts of weapons, including missiles shot at it, and it GETS HIT several times.

End of episode, crew on deck, not one sign of any damage from those explosions at all. A sort of poor attempt to show some rust, I guess, but no damage from all those Ex-BAY-sions. It's not like they stopped off anywhere for repairs in between.

On the flip side, the ship has what seem to be an automated Phalanx gun system. On the show, they let the attacking copters fly PAST the ship before even getting one shot off. In real life, the Phalanx guns would be firing while the copters were thousands of yards away, and destroying them before they got close. Those guns have been tweaked to try to take out MISSILES coming in very very fast, a relatively "big" copter (compared to missile size) coming in at 150 knots or slower would be like shooting fish in a barrel for those things.

- George Gassaway

A few issues….

The "Russian" Helicopters sure seemed to look a lot like U.S. helicopters (as though the effects people had some computer model files of U.S. copters but not Russian ones).

Hunters can kill deer by shooting them with rifles while flying aboard a copter, but Russians with machine guns, flying in copters, can't hit the side of a barn (or snowmobile). Like, man, they didn't even kill one token "redshirt".

The ship gets all sorts of weapons, including missiles shot at it, and it GETS HIT several times.

End of episode, crew on deck, not one sign of any damage from those explosions at all. A sort of poor attempt to show some rust, I guess, but no damage from all those Ex-BAY-sions. It's not like they stopped off anywhere for repairs in between.

On the flip side, the ship has what seem to be an automated Phalanx gun system. On the show, they let the attacking copters fly PAST the ship before even getting one shot off. In real life, the Phalanx guns would be firing while the copters were thousands of yards away, and destroying them before they got close. Those guns have been tweaked to try to take out MISSILES coming in very very fast, a relatively "big" copter (compared to missile size) coming in at 150 knots or slower would be like shooting fish in a barrel for those things.

- George Gassaway
Yea. Russian CH-56's---I really got a chuckle when they shot one down with the 5 incher at close range no less !!

A few issues….

- George Gassaway

My thoughts watching it as well,, told my wife they would have never let them get that close.
I was told once by a good friend early in my twenties that when it comes to Hollywood and Politics to believe nothing of what I hear and only 1/2 of what I see,, holds true even more today with special effects and social media.

I think it will go the way of The Dome--Revolution--and Continuim----in my ," not to watch list " I liked the premise but they need to get the tech/real world parts correct.

Dunno,, I was bummed when "Revolution" was cancelled before I found out whether in the "Post Blackout" world and the scene with weeds growing all around Wrigley Field if the "Cubs" ever won the world series.:surprised:

I've given up on Sci-Fi series. Every time I get into one it gets cancelled. The last one I watched and liked was Defying Gravity and it got cancelled after 7-8 episodes. The network just played a rerun of some ladies drama and didn't even announce that it was cancelled.

I'm hooked on Continuum for my part - it's not great, but I like the main character and that's enough to keep me watching. Saw the first episode of Dominion, will probably watch a few more to see where it goes.

Read the book....a helleuva good read
Thank you. The book was great. Same with the Steven King "Dome" novel. Sad fact of LIfe #4,346: I had a yard sale with 1,200 paperbacks ( I read 2-4 books a week) and about 60 videos. Vids were 2 bucks and the books 5 for a buck. Videos gone in an hour. I offered the books in the afternoon at 10 for a buck and guess what? I still had 1,160 books left to pack up. The VA accepted them happily. Nobody wants to read anymore. And Hollywierd? C'mon now-Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher in the Lee Child series?? Idiots. Totally shoulda been Vincent D'Onofrio, but what do I know?? Your imagination is the best possible movie screen.

Thank you. The book was great. Same with the Steven King "Dome" novel. Sad fact of LIfe #4,346: I had a yard sale with 1,200 paperbacks ( I read 2-4 books a week) and about 60 videos. Vids were 2 bucks and the books 5 for a buck. Videos gone in an hour. I offered the books in the afternoon at 10 for a buck and guess what? I still had 1,160 books left to pack up. The VA accepted them happily. Nobody wants to read anymore. And Hollywierd? C'mon now-Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher in the Lee Child series?? Idiots. Totally shoulda been Vincent D'Onofrio, but what do I know?? Your imagination is the best possible movie screen.

Thanks for giving them to the VA.
When I have to go to the VA Hospital I always go to the "Free Books" Shelves in the various Lobbies/Waiting Rooms. I've scored a few good Books there.

The SeaWhiz system would have taken down the helo long before it got anywhere near the ship. My biggest problem with this episode was a glaringly massive problem. Cruise ships use Heavy Fuel, basically everything that is left at the bottom when crude is refined, well not at the very bottom, that would be asphalt, but one step above asphalt. Arleigh Burke class destroyers like the one portrayed in this episode have four GE gas turbines for propulsion. There are currently only two cruise ships that use Gas Turbines and they are the two Millennium class ships from Celebrity which the cruise ship in this episode clearly was not. In the case of those two cruise ship turbines, they are used for power generation not propulsion, as are the ones on AB class Destroyers.

On another note, it is clear that the Navy has given access to an operational destroyer for the production of this show.

The SeaWhiz system would have taken down the helo long before it got anywhere near the ship. My biggest problem with this episode was a glaringly massive problem. Cruise ships use Heavy Fuel, basically everything that is left at the bottom when crude is refined, well not at the very bottom, that would be asphalt, but one step above asphalt. Arleigh Burke class destroyers like the one portrayed in this episode have four GE gas turbines for propulsion. There are currently only two cruise ships that use Gas Turbines and they are the two Millennium class ships from Celebrity which the cruise ship in this episode clearly was not. In the case of those two cruise ship turbines, they are used for power generation not propulsion, as are the ones on AB class Destroyers.

On another note, it is clear that the Navy has given access to an operational destroyer for the production of this show.

I saw a thing on some TV Program where they were talking about the Making of this show and how they got to film on an actual Ship.

Listened to an interview with Baldwin the other day. They filmed on two ships and all the episodes were filmed at the same time to fit around the Navy schedules for deployment. On a side note---I did catch the part with the fuel off loaded from the cruise ship---I had to raise an eyebrow on that too !! Did anyone else have a problem with the EMP burst totally knocking out the ship----ummm, hardened?? And the captain putting in the --LAST-- fuse to restart the entire ship.

Well, you do know the saying that 10% of the population reads 90% of the things written? Too bad it so true :p

Listened to an interview with Baldwin the other day. They filmed on two ships and all the episodes were filmed at the same time to fit around the Navy schedules for deployment. On a side note---I did catch the part with the fuel off loaded from the cruise ship---I had to raise an eyebrow on that too !! Did anyone else have a problem with the EMP burst totally knocking out the ship----ummm, hardened?? And the captain putting in the --LAST-- fuse to restart the entire ship.

Yeah! That part was Super-Cheesy!!!

I read all the time I still have a library card and go to the library once a week

+1 On "Dome" Actually, the only movie adaptation I liked was "The Hunt For Red October."

Also, they grabbed all the food from the ship but it just went into bags. Was there a decontamination procedure? A pandemic virus would have much tighter protocols I would think.

I saw the first episode and i plan to watch a few more to see where it goes. I do believe that there are going to be 10 episodes. But I do not know if it plans to end after all the episodes air or if they plan to have additional seasons. If they find a cure for the disease then the series is over!

I agree with others that spotted the US helicopters playing the Russians!

Rhona MItra is enough to keep my interest for a little while!

LT. Greens Rifle has a Flip up Back-up Iron Sight on the front of his Rail, but no BIUS in the back. LAME!!!

The did make some modeling errors, but I thought the CG pyro stuff looked pretty good, it didn't have the "puffball" effect that is often apparent.

It was "50 below" and people are running around with no gloves or face masks. Snowmobiles are turned off. The dog has no protective clothing at all.

I always wonder why Hollyweird never hires a Person to do a "Details Check" when producing Movies and TV. I'de do it for free just to see some quality TV.

Last edited:
I always wonder why Hollyweird never hires a Person to do a "Details Check" when producing Movies and TV. I do it for free just to see some quality TV.

They do,, trouble is,,they haven't a clue because they live in a fantasy world not the real one.

Back