Southern Nevada Rocketry THIS WEEKEND

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickershock23

Reaction score
I'd like to announce the NEWEST NAR club... and Launch

Southern Nevada rocketry.. NAR 741 Just got all its duck in a row. we have a new waiver. we have a permit from the BLM and we have a launch site..

so although it is last minute.. we have decided to hold our first launch EVER!

due to the HOT summer days in Las vegas... during the summer we will hold launch in Southern Utah... Cedar city to be exact.

This launch will be held out by the three peaks area.. I will post directions ASAP.

this launch starts Friday morning May 9th as soon as the sun rises and ends sunday when we run out of rockets

Camping at the launch site is permitted. campfires in above ground containers are OK.

there are hotels/motels close to the launch site. (contact Curt Beasly for more info on that) I am sure there is a motel 6 and several others.

We do NOT as of yet have a vendor.. but if you go out early FRIDAY Aerotech is VERY CLOSE.. bring your ID your Certifications and any other needed paperwork for what you will be purchasing and I am sure you can purchase reloads there.

we will have launch equipment there to handle pretty much anything you want to launch or bring your own!

Contact Curt Beasly (president) for more info at [email protected]
or by telephone at (702) 354-7911

Directions to the launch

Take I-15 to Cedar City, get off @ exit 59 and head West 4.5 miles on HWY 56. At the 4.5 mile mark turn right onto Iron Spring Rd and follow it 6.7 mile. At the 6.7 mile mark you need to take the center road straight, (I AM NOT SURE THIS IS CORRECT I BELIEVE ITS A LEFT TURN THERE.. Its right before the railroad tracks.. there will be signs there) named E. Antelope Rd. Go 3.1 miles and look for a spot that goes left with Markers. This spot will have signs that tell you this is the place.

there will probably only be a few of us out there due to the short notice BUT that just means more air time for the rest of us!

The weather looks to be really nice.. maybe a little cool at night but in the 70's during the day!

the launch site has some nice ground cover so NO dusty dirty lake beds... no hard landings and no dragged rockets!

hope to see you out there!

Last edited:
Sounds like a great deal Mark! :D I wish you all the best getting this going out there!

thanks Bro..

there will soon be a regular schedule we decided to do this last minute.. heck we gotta go sign the BLM papers thursday night.. since were there we might as well launch!

there might only be 10 of us there.. but I am SURE we will have some fun!

This is great news. I was wondering if/when this idea was going to become reality. I'm all for flying in "southern Nevada", especially if it's it Utah!

As it stands, especially with the short notice, I'm going to have to sit this one out. But if this does become a regular thing like you say, I really hope to be able to make it there to fly now and again. The possibility of us actually meeting and flying together just got a bit more possible.

I like it.
s6

Yes it should be a regular thing, started working on it last year. A COA was issued for 2013 summer months but had to hold off on BLM permit because of state wide fire ban. This year COA was issued for full year starting April 1, 2014. The COA authorizes launch operations for the second or third weekends if each month, but in May and Sept operations are authorized for a Fri, Sat & Sun launch...
The BLM permit will be issued for a one year trial period starting April 8, 2014 after signing Thursday. Foreseeing no problems, next year BLM will issue SNVR a five year permit.

This will be my first launch not on a dry lake bed!!!!

This is the time of year when we generally have to stop flying west of Utah Lake because of fire restrictions. Will your site be so limited? I can see a road trip to Cedar City in my future. Probably not this weekend, but I'm pondering it.

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

To see the launch site go to Google Maps, put in the search, N 37 45 57 W 113 17 42, ( that will work for Google Maps).
See you Fri about 10 am.
Jim

PLEASE NOTE I CHANGED THE DIRECTIONS IN MY EARLIER POST I DONT THINK IT WAS CORRECT

I will be going out thursday evening I will put out signs at each turn so follow the signs!

The change is I believe at e. antelope rd. you make a LEFT TURN (not straight like it says) there is a railroad track crossing there you turn left JUST BEFORE THE TRACKS.

you will see a motor cross track on the left side shortly after the turn.. that will tell you you are on the right track.

call me if you get lost 435 669 9237

How did this launch turn out? Were you able to buy reloads directly from Aerotech? I had know idea they were set up to handle walk-up sales.

the launch was NICE great location.. but the weather turned on us... we did get in several nice launches on the last day!

I dont Know about Aerotech they used to let you come in and buy but I WONT deal with them anymore..

hope to see you at the next one!

Hey Mark,
Any new plans for launches at this site coming up? I'm itching, and I MIGHT just be able to sneak down there to fly in the coming weeks.

s6

Hi, Is there any historical information on the resulting year of the waiver for this site? Was there any issues with fire bans, neighboring properties, airspace, etc?
I have obtained a copy of this old waiver from Mark and am interested in following through on possibly re-activating the area, but a bit further to the south.

Back