What Became Of The Launch Pad TALOS???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang that looks nice! What kind of paint system are you using???

Thanks, I have been using Rustoleum and Valspar spray cans...

I think it is too glossy for a military missle so when finished, it will get a top coat of FLAT clear...

Thanks, I have been using Rustoleum and Valspar spray cans...

I think it is too glossy for a military missle so when finished, it will get a top coat of FLAT clear...

At the risk of losing some scale points, I'd vote for keeping the shine. Beautiful. Any pictures of the entire model ?

At the risk of losing some scale points, I'd vote for keeping the shine. Beautiful. Any pictures of the entire model ?

Thanks, more pictures to follow...(construction is ongoing)

Started to glue the rear fins on the sustainer today... (using Titebond II for internal fillets)

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

Cant see why anyone would vote down this thread - its brilliant work being done here.

Here is my fancy fin-jig... (coffee-cup, ink-pin, and painters-tape)

IMG_1981.jpg

Not just wow, but double wow. I can't wait to see a launch video.

Dave

Quite right Daddyisabar, blowing mine too. I love the craftsmanship, thought and work that goes into these two projects. A great read!

This thread is blowing my mind. I will have to step out for some clean air. Great work guys.

I thought this thread was going to be about wishing for a new TLP kit and here I see it turns into a very pivotal discussion.

Hey rocketed,

I have not yet decided on a motor for the first flight as this is still in production...

There is still nose weight to be added for stability so I don't yet have the empty/flying weight...

Once construction is complete, it will need to be balanced and then I will start looking at motors...

At this point my best guess would be around 38oz. w/an empty 29-40/120 RMS case...

I would like a motor with alot of initial punch right off the pad but keep it below 1500'...

I'm thinking a large "G"...

Any suggestions?

Kid

Hey rocketed,

I have not yet decided on a motor for the first flight ...

I'm thinking a large "G"...

Any suggestions?

Kid

Well, the obvious choice (IMHO) would be an AeroTech G64. Great all around "G" impulse motor. And loud, too.

Excellent work BTW on the Talos.

Greg

Hi Kid, it appeared to me you had a case that takes Aerotech reloads, and Aerotech has several choices with their G motors, but Greg's suggestion of the G64 seems like a good one. Quite a punch off the pad with initial thrust at 24 lbs, with 118ns total. (https://www.thrustcurve.org/simfilesearch.jsp?id=2074I) Guestimating loaded weight of about 2.7 lbs with the G64, a second (rough) guesstimate would put the altitude at 1,250 ft. The G64 is 50% of a "full" G.

Well, the obvious choice (IMHO) would be an AeroTech G64. Great all around "G" impulse motor. And loud, too.

Excellent work BTW on the Talos.

Greg

Thanks Greg,

I will take that under careful consideration awaiting the official weight...

Really awesome stuff there - like everyone else cant wait to see a video.

Really awesome stuff there - like everyone else cant wait to see a video.

Definitely!
KidRocket knocked it out of the Park with this build as far as looks go, so I hope she flies as good as she looks!
I'm interested in the Recovery Gear too.
He'll likely fly his before I'm done building mine, so that will be of great interest to me.

...I'm interested in the Recovery Gear too...

Hey Top,

I'm getting closer to finishing this project...

Got the rail-buttons on the other day...

The second picture shows a notch in the outer booster coupler... (there are two couplers)

There is a corresponding tab located in the sustainer...

These two interlock and provide a solid hook-up between the two... (there is NO twist between stages)

There is also ZERO wobble between them but they slide apart like butter...

The sustainer gets 12 feet of 550 paracord... (kevlar below)

A nice 36" Fruity Chute and an orange nomex blanket round out the recovery gear...

Working on nose-weight next...

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got around to making some lead ingots...

These were made in my brother's neon shop...

Used fishing weights and a 1.5" freeze plug for the mold...

These will be assembled in the nose section...

One step closer to launching this beast...

IMG_2099.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

The Talos Rim 8 has entered the stable...

And has reached flight ready status...

image.jpg

Thanks Top, you inspired this build...

Will post flight pics and video of first launch...

Back