Can you cut tubes with a miter saw?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsume99

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Title says it all. I think it is possible if you have a sharp blade and go slowly but wondering if anyone has done it before.

Yep. Assuming you are saying cardboard tubes. Account for the saw kerf, and it makes a beautiful clean cut. :)

Later!

I haven't cut cardboard yet. I have done a lot of acrylic and polycarbonate with great success. I use a coupler to stiffen the tube, and tape over the part I want to cut with painters tape. I also use a high tpi blade.

Title says it all. I think it is possible if you have a sharp blade and go slowly but wondering if anyone has done it before.
Yes, but make sure both halves are held in place or the blade may kick and mar the cut edge on the loose section.

Go for it. I use a fine tooth blade.

For smaller tubes the Estes cutting guides can't be beat.

Bones

Yes, a power miter saw (chop saw) works very well to cut paper tubes but...

After the cut while the saw blade has finished cutting and in the down position, release the trigger and let the blade come to a complete stop BEFORE you let the saw blade go back up.

Sometimes (OK most of the time) if the blade is turning when it returns to the up position the kerf will catch on the tube and will take a chunk out of it.

So be careful.

I cut paper/cardboard tubes all the time with my band saw. I prefer to soak the cut area with thin CA then I use the miter block and get nice clean cuts all the time.

Anything 4" and under I cut with a compound miter saw, 12" 80-tooth carbide-tipped blade. I particularly like cutting BlueTube, the ends come looking as though they were turned on a lathe. The thin paper tubes as used on Estes kits I cut with an X-acto knife in a jig made of aluminum angle and a wooden stop block.

Last edited:
Adding one more 'yes' to the thread. Perfect for Blue Tube and other harder cardboard, trickier as others have said with LOC or similar. I use the 'wrap with tape' approach on these.

I have cut phenolic and quantum tubes on my miter saw a number of times with no issues. The wound fiberglass tubes don't cut all that well.

We have a 12" at the barn.
Works great for everything from cardboard casting tubes to carbon fiber tubes.
Just need to get the blade sharpened every season...

That miter and our disc sander are probably some of the most used tools in the shop.

Adding another yes to the thread.

I wrap the tube with masking tape and mark the cutline on the tape. Use a fine tooth blade and go slowly.

As Gordy says, let the blade come to a complete stop before raising the saw. That's the recommended practice when cutting anything on a miter saw.

I've used a 100 tooth+ Miter saw as well, mine came out okay except for the fuzz around the cut.

Since I cut many tubes now I purchased a laser cutter and now cut the tubes with a rotator attachment, then I slot them to save time.

I have cut fiberglass with a compound mitre saw. I taped the area to be cut with painter's tape, secured both ends of the fiberglass tube, and made sure the blade was stopped before raising after the cut.

Ya don haf ta do all dat................

Home cheapo sells fiber blades for your miter saws,,,,,,,,,,,
You'll think you just sanded the edge of the tube after you cut it...........

Just make certain you square the saw before you cut the tube............
Muy importante the tubes sit squarely on each other over a coupling ( av bay )...........

Teddy

I have one o dem blades Ted ol buddy. I just didn't want to take a chance, as I'm not very handy with power tools.

Yea Hank,,,,,,,,
Those fiber blades work fantastic for cutting
all kinds of composite material...........
The cuts are as smoooooth as a baby's eeeehhhhhh,,,, well you know..........

Just be very certain to check the RPM on the blade and on the saw,,,,,,,,,,
Make sure you don't spin the blade too fast........
They can come apart..........

Teddy

Last edited:
I use a triple chip 10" carbide blade from Bam Carbide. It's meant for cutting Aluminum but works just as well on fiberglass.

https://store.bamcarbide.com/alsawbl10in1.html

Home Depot has two blades which are reported to work well on composites but I've not tried them:

Diablo 7-1/4 in. x 56 Tooth Carbide Circular Saw Blade
Model # D0756N Internet # 202035231
Store SKU # 517197
--
Diablo 10 in. x 80 Tooth Carbide Circular Saw Blade
Model # D1080X Internet # 100022265
Store SKU # 330489

I use a triple chip 10" carbide blade from Bam Carbide. It's meant for cutting Aluminum but works just as well on fiberglass.

https://store.bamcarbide.com/alsawbl10in1.html

Home Depot has two blades which are reported to work well on composites but I've not tried them:

Diablo 7-1/4 in. x 56 Tooth Carbide Circular Saw Blade
Model # D0756N Internet # 202035231
Store SKU # 517197
--
Diablo 10 in. x 80 Tooth Carbide Circular Saw Blade
Model # D1080X Internet # 100022265
Store SKU # 330489

Thanks for the tip! The last tube I cut was with a 10" metal cut off wheel in my miter saw. It wobbled quite a bit so I have been looking into metal blades.

Thanks for the tip! The last tube I cut was with a 10" metal cut off wheel in my miter saw. It wobbled quite a bit so I have been looking into metal blades.

The Bam Carbide blade is awesome. It's not that expensive either. They have a 12" version too IIRC. The kerf is pretty wide. I use the 10" in an old standard Craftsman chop saw and mainly use it to cut aluminum bar stock but it cuts through fiberglass very well too. As others have said, tape up the spot you are going to cut. It helps to reduce frizzies.

Latest posts

Back