Bull Pup AGM-12C by The Launch Pad (24mm)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Morgan

Reaction score
Well, I've turned into Power-Building Rockets! A couple anyways.
I've started the Bull Pup. Here's that paper cone tip. I cut off the lapping
piece and will be placing it on the inside of the "cone tip", like sodmeister
and others do. The gluing tab doesn't go all the way to the tip...
TLP Bull Pup AGM-12C.jpgBull Pup paper nose tip.jpg

I need advice on the motor tube. I'll keep it 24mm, but should I get a longer
piece of tubing? (BT-50) I think is what I need. And how long should I cut it? I've got
3 other TLP kits to build so having to buy more than one piece of tubing is OK by me.

I'll purchase the Aerotech 24/40 case. Reloads come out cheaper and I get some experience
on loading motors.

JP

PM me if you'de like a 12" Section of LOC 24mm MMT. I'll Mail it right out to you.
The LOC Tubing is pretty nice, and 12" should be plenty, but I could part with a longer length of it if you need it. I have plenty.
Plus, then you don't have to buy anything.

PM me if you'de like a 12" Section of LOC 24mm MMT. I'll Mail it right out to you.
The LOC Tubing is pretty nice, and 12" should be plenty, but I could part with a longer length of it if you need it. I have plenty.
Plus, then you don't have to buy anything.
Thank You! PM sent with address.
What length should I cut? 3.5", 4"? No idea what the AT24/40 needs...

Here's the paper nose tip. It helps to shape it over a steaming pot on the stove top,
keeps the tip from creasing. TLP needs to upgrade to nose cones with sharper points
so one doesn't have to go to all of this trouble!
BP paper nose tip.jpg

JP

Last edited:
Thank You! PM sent with address.
What length should I cut? 3.5", 4"? No idea what the AT24/40 needs...

Here's the paper nose tip. It helps to shape it over a steaming pot on the stove top,
keeps the tip from creasing. TLP needs to upgrade to nose cones with sharper points
View attachment 165011

JP

the 24/40 case doesn't need anymore length than an Estes D. Besides that, your motor tube doesn't need to be as long as the motor you intend to use for any specific reason.

D's and 24/40 cases approx. 2.5", E's & 24/60 cases 3.5". assuming that you're not needing a stuffer tube.
Rex

the 24/40 case doesn't need anymore length than an Estes D. Besides that, your motor tube doesn't need to be as long as the motor you intend to use for any specific reason.
OK, I get that.

"D's and 24/40 cases approx. 2.5", E's & 24/60 cases 3.5". assuming that you're not needing a stuffer tube".
Rex

If this kit just had a little bit heavier tubing, I would consider the 24/60 case. 24/40 looks to be a good choice
for all of my TLP kits.
Thanks guys!

JP

The BT80 tube will withstand the thrust of an F35 (24/60) easily. Be sure to check your stability margin before you fly.

I follow Pauls Technique of using a different Coupler than the one supplied with the TLP Kits to increase the Stiffness of the BT-80 Tubes.

I follow Pauls Technique of using a different Coupler than the one supplied with the TLP Kits to increase the Stiffness of the BT-80 Tubes.
I'll look back on that idea.
I still haven't figured out how to do multiple quotes!

JP

Just got home from the Post Office. Your LOC MMT is on its way.:)
I "overbuilt" the Package so it does'nt get crushed in transit.

Just got home from the Post Office. Your LOC MMT is on its way.:)
I "overbuilt" the Package so it does'nt get crushed in transit.
Thank you my Friend!
I sent out the Mylar parachutes to the guy looking too.
Rocket Men get along vey well...

JP

Thank you my Friend!
I sent out the Mylar parachutes to the guy looking too.
Rocket Men get along vey well...

JP

No problem. Others here on this Site have sent me stuff, and just asked me to "Pay it forward", so I'm glad to be of service to fellow Rocketry Enthusiasts. Especially when a Scale Missile Build is involved!

Got a little more done today. My wife says "you'll put your eye out" with the nose cone tip!
Bull Pup nose.jpg
So I shaped the rear fin slightly different than stock, closer to an image I got off the web.
Instead of the balsa pieces for the root edges I'm using birch pieces. Found the stuff at Wallyworld.
Used my aluminum angles to keep the pieces flat when glued up, clamping two pieces together.
Bull Pup rear fin mod.jpgBull Pup root edge replaced wood.jpg
Bull Pup root edge.jpgBull Pup fins.jpg

And I got some real motor hooks from Jonrocket.com
Estes engine hooks.jpg

JP

The Nose Cone is looking good. Heed your Wifes advice. I made the Tip of my TLP ALARM Kitbash so Sharp that I accidentally stabbed myself in the Thumb with it while Sanding.

The Nose Cone is looking good. Heed your Wifes advice. I made the Tip of my TLP ALARM Kitbash so Sharp that I accidentally stabbed myself in the Thumb with it while Sanding.
Dang dude!
That's when you know you've got it right :wink:.
It's right then! If I tried it would puncture skin!

The rear fins are dry and straight. They had no choice but to come out straight! I've got to strengthen
the fins somehow. Not sure if I want to do paper and thin CA or straight CA. Thought about a layer of
balsa, crossing up the grain and sanding the edges to a bevel, similar to other TLP kits that use the balsa
and paper method to achieve fin airfoils...

JP

Last edited:
Inside glue tabs, cutting angles off at the tips. Glue one half at a time, letting it dry before
rolling and gluing together.

Make sure the tab is flat while drying.
I press it on the "green builders matt" (most of us have) with a small metal ruler for this.

inside glue tab.jpgBP Shroud and boat tail.jpg

JP

Waiting on the motor tubing from TR to arrive, it's time to do the Flares that glue to the tail cone.
I made this JIG for sanding them to a taper. Most of the time I don't fasten the sand paper to my
sanding bar. This way I can slide the sand paper half way off the bar, as shown, that way I don't sand my JIG.
If you build rockets and you don't have a sanding bar, such as the Great Planes one, how do you manage!
The wood disc (JIG) is from Wallyworld, only 97 cents each, found in the Crafts section with dowels, artist brushes and such.
I've used these discs to make Centering Rings. They are lighter than most plywood Centering Rings and sand easier too.
I used CA at the rear of the dowels only so as not to mess up the finished product.
Bull Pup Flares 2.jpgFlair JIG.jpgFlairs.jpg
This first image (above), is at a point where the Flares are close to being finished.
I cut slightly beyond the pencil line and rounded back to it.

JP

Last edited:
View attachment 165011JP

If you can get a Nose Cone from the Executioner or Phoenix it would work well. Here's one on ebay

Not as pointy but.....

If you can get a Nose Cone from the Executioner or Phoenix it would work well. Here's one on ebay

Not as pointy but.....
That's a good idea. The paper nose may give way after a few landings. This would certainly replace it.
Thanks!

JP
I have built quite a few TLP kits replacing the coupler with a Jonrocket BT 80 Baffle...works great!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/171240914127?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Very sturdy and you can still use the stock parachute shelf.

Cheers!!
I'll check that out. Thanks!

JP

I got the LOC 24mm motor tubing today from TopRamen! Thank you again!
Got the motor mount made up and drying.
Here I used the E size motor clip from Estes. The package came with an adaptor
so I can also use D motors.
24mm LOC tubing motor mount E.jpg

JP

That's a good idea. The paper nose may give way after a few landings. This would certainly replace it.
Thanks!

JP

I'll check that out. Thanks!

JP

You can always do what I do and fill the Paper Cone with PC Superpoxy.

Back