Altimeters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accooper

Reaction score
Could some one explain how altimeters work, and what needs to be done to existing rockets to get them to work.

Andrew

They measure air pressure. As you ascend in the atmosphere, the pressure drops in a fairly predictable manner, so you can pretty accurately measure how high you went. This needs clean air and a port to equalize pressure, and clean subsonic airflow. This sometimes is inaccurate during boost, but it is almost always fine once at apogee and during descent.

GPS is used by some altimeters; that uses triangulation grin satellites. As long as the radio reception isn't hindered by metal or carbon fiber, or high speeds or acceleration, you get fairly accurate readings independent of altitude.

and what needs to be done to existing rockets to get them to work.

Andrew

Oh my this is quite a topic. How to incorporate alts into rockets is one of those infamous subjects rocket folk have a bunch of different ideas of how to do it. I would spend some time reviewing build threads and seeing which method appeals to you most. There are vendors out there that will sell you complete e bays and the like so there is that option. I've built 8 or 9 e bays over the years and I don't think I've ever done 2 exactly the same.

-Dave

Back