Umbrella Recovery Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Hall

Reaction score
umbrella_rocket_09_1024.jpg

Here's my photoblog on how it works and how it was made:

https://hallbuzz.com/blog/2014/rockets.htm#Umbrella_Recovery_Rocket

Looking forward to your flight report. BTW nice web page. Looks like your students are having fun.

I wish I could adapt this to my Velociraptor build, but I'm afraid I just don't have the space. Although it strongly reminds me of my idea for the Chinese fan-like recovery device (and is giving me ideas...) Portland is full of broken and lost umbrellas.

Last edited:
I wish I could adapt this to my Velociraptor build, but I'm afraid I just don't have the space. Although it strongly reminds me of my idea for the Chinese fan-like recovery device (and is giving me ideas...) Portland is full of broken and lost umbrellas.

Velociraptor+ Chinese fan-like recovery = Dilophosaurus! That dino from Jurassic Park that we all thought was cute until it unfurled it's frills, spat ink in Newman's eyes and then slashed him open and presumably ate him. I'm imagining a rocket that looks like it's going to lawn dart but at 100' folds out those frill things and unloads a few cups of nasty ink.... and maybe a duck-call pops out into the airstream as all of this happens....

jurassic_park__spitter_fight_colored_by_march90-d5lvov1.jpg

As much as I find that idea funny, the scientist in me hates how Crichton/Spielberg took such a broad creative licence with the animal. There's no evidence supporting the frill lizard neck, nor the spitting cobra behavior (like evidence of forward facing holes in venom delivering fangs), and now most people believe that they did spit venom and have frills. Then again, they upscaled the animal (the velociraptor is closer to a wolf than a person in size), but I think that there is a *chance* that a person sized velociraptor species may still be waiting to be found. [EDIT] Deinonychus is a better match for the Jurassic Park "velociraptor". [/EDIT]

800px-Dromie_scale.png

Funny thing... The velociraptor was about 2M long (about the length of the Binder Design rocket).

Since mine is a downscale, I was thinking "Microraptor" would be a better idea (BONUS: it had 2 sets of "wings"). One thing about the Velociraptors, there's evidence that they were feathered.

microraptor1.jpg
microraptor_1.jpg

Microraptor

Last edited:
Back