Smallest GPS receiver + data logger ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikeRam

Reaction score
Everyone,

What is the smallest GPS receiver and data logger currently available ? I am asking about physical size L x W x H, could be with or without an integral antenna.

NikeRam

There are tons of inexpensive / small SirfStar based GPS data loggers out there, but they won't accurately track altitude during flight -- is this a requirement? I'd say a u-blox based one shouldn't be much bigger than 1" x 1" x 1/2" with integrated antenna and micro-controller to initialize the GPS and store the data. But I haven't seen one.

Greg

Good guess. Here's a prototype that's 0.8" x 1.5" https://altusmetrum.org/TeleGPS/

Nice work Keith! That is a little smaller than the mini gps tx I'm building now (mine is 1" x 1.5"), but it doesn't log.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you buy the ublox parts from? I can't find a us distributor and I really don't want to order from places like alibaba. :(

Thanks!

The TeleGPS prototype has logging and built-in USB for data download, along with a lipo battery charger. Talks to our existing TeleDongle or TeleBT devices, and also sends APRS.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you buy the ublox parts from? I can't find a us distributor and I really don't want to order from places like alibaba

We bought a whole reel (500 parts). There's a guy in the UK, Anthony Stirk <[email protected]> who sells onesies for about $50 each.

Greg,

Thanks for the reply. Yes sorry I should have stated that the basic requirement is to "accurately track altitude during flight ". I am asking about the smallest size to permit me to move it between launch vehicles. Actually if more requirements were stated, I would like it so store XX minutes of continuous flight data [lat, long, altitude, date/time] and retain that data regardless of battery condition. Other aux sensors are not important to me: temp, accelerometers, baro pressure, etc. I just am interested in a minimum sized recording GPS I can obtain, obviously with some sort of standard data I/O [i.e. USB port]. Telemetry has little value to me at this time but would probably be a major requirement for other users.

I am not anticipated flights above Mach 1 so that is another requirement (or non-requirement depending on how you see things.).

There are tons of inexpensive / small SirfStar based GPS data loggers out there, but they won't accurately track altitude during flight -- is this a requirement? I'd say a u-blox based one shouldn't be much bigger than 1" x 1" x 1/2" with integrated antenna and micro-controller to initialize the GPS and store the data. But I haven't seen one.

Greg

Greg,

Thanks for the reply. Yes sorry I should have stated that the basic requirement is to "accurately track altitude during flight ". I am asking about the smallest size to permit me to move it between launch vehicles. Actually if more requirements were stated, I would like it so store XX minutes of continuous flight data [lat, long, altitude, date/time] and retain that data regardless of battery condition. Other aux sensors are not important to me: temp, accelerometers, baro pressure, etc. I just am interested in a minimum sized recording GPS I can obtain, obviously with some sort of standard data I/O [i.e. USB port]. Telemetry has little value to me at this time but would probably be a major requirement for other users.

I am not anticipated flights above Mach 1 so that is another requirement (or non-requirement depending on how you see things.).

This one logs:

746_MED.jpg

https://www.adafruit.com/products/746

Keith, do you have any idea of the price tag for these units?

Most of the cost turns out to be assembly, so until we've got something that works (and these don't yet), I'm not comfortable trying to guess what they'd sell for. I have some idea of what I *want* to sell them for, of course, but I really don't want to promise something and then discover that we just can't do that.

Back