URRF II - Who's flying what?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My rocket Sprite came down in a no-recover zone at Red Glare, so it is gone. At this point, other than a little 2" on a 38mm motor, I have nothing ready to fly. I might not have time to build anything, so...

What I'm considering doing is making up another 7600 motor matching the one I burned at Red Glare and seeing if anyone wants/dares to fly it. It is nominally an M5100. It is a risky motor compared to most as I'm really pushing the limits in a few ways. Chamber pressure is roughly 1400psi for instance (perhaps double commercial loads) and the propellant is more energetic than most any commercial motor. Though the motor hits like a ton of bricks it is smooth burning. I've yet to CATO a motor but there could always be a first time. I still want the flight data on the motor before continuing its evolution, so, if someone has a rocket which can take roughly 1300 pounds of thrust for about 1.7 seconds from a 75mm motor and get me some data there might be one available to fly. It'll be a risky flight. I'm pushing the hardware very hard and the motor could readily shred a rocket.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveyfire/13954637014/ - photo courtesy of David Reese. That's a 6" 60# rocket on the left hydraulic tower at Red Glare. I think it'd be cool to put that motor in a very solidly built little 4"! I'm developing it for a min diameter flight.

Gerald

Sorry, didn't realize my inbox was full. I never saw an indicator. There should be space now.

Gerald

Looks like I will be making it to this launch! Just need to finalize the backsplash in our kitchen and have someone install the crown moulding!

I'll be bringing a couple of high performance blue motors for your viewing pleasure. First planned flight is my Performance Rocketry Half-Mongoose flying on a 54-2550 7:1 Blue, most likely in the L1100 range. Hoping for 18,500' and Mach 1.9+. Second flight will be my Hawk Mountain Bad Attitude on a 76-6000 M2500 7:1 Blue, shooting for 12,500' and Mach 1.2.

Should be a fun launch!

Looks like I will be making it to this launch! Just need to finalize the backsplash in our kitchen and have someone install the crown moulding!

I'll be bringing a couple of high performance blue motors for your viewing pleasure. First planned flight is my Performance Rocketry Half-Mongoose flying on a 54-2550 7:1 Blue, most likely in the L1100 range. Hoping for 18,500' and Mach 1.9+. Second flight will be my Hawk Mountain Bad Attitude on a 76-6000 M2500 7:1 Blue, shooting for 12,500' and Mach 1.2.

Should be a fun launch!

SMOKIN..........................

I'm glad you jived it out so you can make the event...........

If I find the time to jive out the rocket
I'm planning on a 54 / 2560 K 480 W in my Green Hornet...........
Hoping for 10K but I don't honestly think I'll get quite to that mark.............

Teddy

I'm trying to keep a light load for this..... but I'm tempted to built my mini eagle claw and slide an H250G into it. must resist. (eyes H268R.....)

Hopefully I can get the wildman built first.... time is getting tight.

It looks like the 75mm M5100 project will be flying! It'll be in a rocket big and heavy enough to keep it sane. Details should show up on the featured projects page later. The rocket donor will post it up. It should be a cool flight!

Gerald

The launch is fast approaching, and I still have a lot to do. Been fighting a bad cold for the past 3 days, so that is not helping.

Bad Attitude
- 76-6000 grains are cast, need some beveling of the fore grain faces
- Need to machine a bulkhead for the 6000.
- Once bulkhead machined, cut liner and bond grains
- Rocket is being painted after its minor repair work due to 2 snapped shock cords at Red Glare...
- Altimeter bay is ready to be prepped

Mongoose
- Propellant is currently in the bowl awaiting curative and packing...otherwise it's ready to be loaded
- Altimeter bay needs assembly. RRC2+, Raven, Tragic Little Aerospace GPS and all required batteries are going into an 8" coupler!
- I am going to be making a tower out of 1/4-20 allthread and some mountain bike rims...should be interesting!

Where's everyone else stand?

Still trying to get the Av bays together for my Calvin&Hobbes 2 stager. Got the body tubes and coupler for the top of the sustainer yesterday. Need to get the nose cone ordered. The I just have a lot of painting to get done. Good news is theta my DX3 is practically finished.

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

I'm Bringing Real Men Fly Pink Rockets on an M-something or another. As it is research days I have a 50/50 AMW Green Gorilla and Dan Patell Blue whatever combination for a 75-6000. I just need to decide which case I want to blow up with it...

Other things planned

Mini BBX/Terrier on an I to H 2 stage
Thunder & Lightning on a J to I 2 stage

The Irritator on a K1100

A King Viper on 3 x I - something or another (possibly a second flight on 3 x J350)

Odds and ends from there.

I have a J1299 that I need to fly, just can't figure out on what.

Got my plan:

Kronos-3 (Scratch built 3-stage): H699N -> H238T -> H175SS to 3100 feet

Kosmic Karma (Scratch built 2-stage): I435T -> I110W to 7500 feet

Instant Karma (Scratch built 3-stage): J1799N -> J460T -> J420R to 6400 feet

Sonic Karma (Scratch built 2-stage): K2000VM -> L1170FJ to 14500 feet

Camiator-IIIE (Scratch built camera rocket): H128W to 1600 feet.

...Fred

Got my plan:

Kronos-3 (Scratch built 3-stage): H699N -> H238T -> H175SS to 3100 feet

Kosmic Karma (Scratch built 2-stage): I435T -> I110W to 7500 feet

Instant Karma (Scratch built 3-stage): J1799N -> J460T -> J420R to 6400 feet

Sonic Karma (Scratch built 2-stage): K2000VM -> L1170FJ to 14500 feet

Camiator-IIIE (Scratch built camera rocket): H128W to 1600 feet.

...Fred

Wow Fred,,,
That sounds insane,,,
fantastic,,, then insane again.....
I can't wait to see those flights......

Teddy

This guy will be making an appearance! Just need to make it shiny and add the decal

darkstar.jpg *edit: for some reason it got squished when I added it. click for best view*

Matt

DRATS!
While moving from NYPOWER18 to home, the trailer damaged my HUGE Independence! Crap! Can you say Crap again? Yes, yes I can. CRAP!. Oh well, time to cut it down a bit. Did I mention at least the Nike is flyable? It is and it shall fly high and FAST!
The Gizmo Xl is in great shape. It won at the last Potter LDRS race. Anyone want to do a 10" Gizmo XL drag race?

IMGP5438.jpg

I have a few flights posted on the Featured Projects page but I may switch it up a bit. Here is my planned flight list as of right now! lol

FORMULA 200 - CTI M1520BS
FORMULA 150 - CTI M1101WH
INTIMIDATOR 5 - CTI M1830CS
STINGER 6 - CTI L995RL
PAINKILLER 3 - CTI J355RL

The PAINKILLER 3 is my newly released kit under "Gary T Designs" One will be raffled off at URRF 2 so be sure to get your Raffle Tickets now.

I have a bunch of people picking up their PAINKILLER kits at URRF 2. If your interested in reserving a kit for delivery at URRF you can do so by Paypaling me the 119.00 to [email protected], just select sending money to Families & Friends. Why not save a few bucks on shipping.

I will have kits on hand for sale but to be sure on getting one "Reserve Yours Now"

View attachment 174155

Last edited:
DRATS!
While moving from NYPOWER18 to home, the trailer damaged my HUGE Independence! Crap! Can you say Crap again? Yes, yes I can. CRAP!. Oh well, time to cut it down a bit. Did I mention at least the Nike is flyable? It is and it shall fly high and FAST!
The Gizmo Xl is in great shape. It won at the last Potter LDRS race. Anyone want to do a 10" Gizmo XL drag race?

When you bring an M to an L drag race, you should win...:grin: I think my little L motor still beat you off the pad...:smile: He says, "still looking for the wayward nose cone"...LDRS31drag.jpg

Here's some pics of my progress so far...

Mongoose 54 with a blue nosecone and red anodized tip. Looks a little Captain America-ish, and I really like it!

gNR4XJP.jpg

Bad Attitude re-painted after two tumbles at Red Glare. I will be using 30 feet of 5/8" tubular Kevlar for the apogee event this time, no snapped cords here!

uNggZJc.jpg

A blurry but good enough picture of some propellant grains prior to final core sizing. I need to hide all of those voids from you guys somehow... The 76mm needs one grain opened up to 1", and the 54mm needs all grains opened to 3/4". Once that is done, I will chamfer the leading edges of the cores to promote easy flow through the cores at start up and glue the grains into the liner with some opacified R45/Curative mixture.

UqPE3HU.jpg

It should be noted that the paint looks awesome in those pictures...but it's really not. I got some weird crazing around the rail buttons on the Bad Attitude, but it appears to be in a fractal-like pattern which is kind of cool. The Mongoose nosecone is a good paint job for me, but still has some pinhole imperfections. It will probably lose me some altitude and velocity, but I should still set personal bests regardless. Assuming all goes well and I break my own altitude and velocity records, I think a new airframe is in order to improve even more!

We're getting close!

Grains cored, grains glued, motors assembled...

Rockets are ready to go!

DSC01968.jpg

DSC01969.jpg

We're a week away guys, come on!! Let's see what you're all bringing!

Bringing my DX3 which is on the featured flights page already. Going to finish my Calvin&Hobbes 2 stage build to fly on an H999 for the booster and a H242 for the sustainer. Also am bringing my Blackhawk38 which it may or may not fly on a H148.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403273440.797153.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403273452.066471.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

My Darkstar is ready to go on a K805G, and the Wildman is progressing well, should be ready for a K1100T.
The Optima may fly on an H250G/H268R or maybe something smaller.

12161841263_5807df46ab.jpg
14276406358_46f0308754.jpg

6233017906_0e00c723f5.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm.... got my red skid N motor done, as well as my Jimbo Jart motor. Gotta finish drilling the holes and get some buttons on it, rig the kevlar and should be good to go. Seems like so much to do...
gonna call my jart "Single Use"

Getting closer to launch!

Here's a few pics of what I've been up to:
Building motors!
This one being a 3 grain 98 mm Blue M 2750.
It's for my Mad Dog Blue 6.0.

2014-06-20 19.45.28.jpg

This: is showing the grains before the gluing process and other motors I'm working on.
2014-06-20 16.55.15.jpg

JD

JD - Any more info on the 98-3G? 2750 avg thrust is pretty high for that motor, looks to be a blue?

Are the other motors 54mm?

Back