Swing Testing my GWIZ LC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hball55

Reaction score
Finally got my GWIZ LC mounted to its sled and installed the arming switch and decided it was time to do a swing test to make sure I didn't mess anything up when I did my soldering.

I decided to use a WC5 ejection canister from Pratt Hobbies (these are twelve years old as they have a different designation now). After several attempts nothing happened. I knew it was how I had the board oriented while doing my wind up swing, so I went online to see what I was doing wrong.

Sure enough, I found that the top of the GWIZ needed to be pointed at my shoulder when I rotated my arm. Once again, four wind up swings of the arm and point the GWIZ down. A couple of seconds later, POW!!! Scared the crap out of me . . . Glad I decided not to add black powder (j/k, I knew better, having done something similar before but I'll tell you about that in a moment). My two Yorkies were on the bed when I started this test and they were under the bed after the test, lol. A spark from the igniter also tried to set my bedspread on fire.

Anyway, it was successful!

Previously, 12 years ago, I wanted to test the ejection charge on my PML Bulldog. I wanted to be sure it would separate the nosecone from the body. I set the WEC5 ejection canister at the forward part of the mmt and inserted a motor case that had a plugged forward closure to make sure the charge fired forward. The ejection canister was attached to a magnetic apogee detector and I was using just a tiny amount more BP than is provided in a standard Aerotech reload.

I forgot to mention that my PML Bulldog was entirely fiberglass, having replaced the phenolic body tube with some filament wound fiberglass from Hawk Mountain. So, I stood on my porch, holding the rocket upright so the magnetic apogee detector wouldn't set off the ejection charge prematurely. I pointed the rocket towards my front lawn and proceeded to bring the nose down to simulate apogee. When the nosecone dipped far enough, the charge fired, the nosecone shot across the yard approximately 30 feet, and the recoil . . . yes, the recoil.

I hadn't anticipated the recoil being so strong. I couldn't hold onto the rocket it was so strong. In fact, the rocket slid back in my hands, the forward fiberglass fins on the Bulldog slicing my hands between the thumb and forefinger, leaving me dumbfounded and looking down at my bleeding hands.

Wow! Was all I could think. That was one helluva kick, LOL. Don't try this at home or at a launch.:bangpan:

Last edited:
Testing in the house, I thought I was the only one that said " I didn't think it would do that". Glad you didn't burn the house, would have been tough putting how it happened on the insurance form:wink:.

Testing in the house, I thought I was the only one that said " I didn't think it would do that". Glad you didn't burn the house, would have been tough putting how it happened on the insurance form:wink:.

What scares me most, with a house fire, is explaining all the single-use motors going off.:cool:

Everything about testing inside a House Scares me. I used to make my own Cannon Fuse, and dry it under a Heat Lamp. (I was only 16, and incredibly DUMB)
Let's just say I don't do that anymore, and thank God for Safety Gear like Fire Extinguishers.
Everyone gets one chance to learn from their Mistake.

As I recall this is the only way to test the old GWIZ. I did the same thing about 7 years ago building a little test sled for swinging. I did the swing test in the back yard with just an Estes igniter. It took some practice, but I finally got it to work. I decided to use two 9-volt batteries. One was used to run the electronics and the other one for the igniter.

IMG007_0001.jpgIMG009_0001.jpg

Eventually this went into my modified 'The Launch Pad' Standard Missile to ignite the second stage.

IMG_0155.jpgIMG_0156.jpg

Everything about testing inside a House Scares me. I used to make my own Cannon Fuse, and dry it under a Heat Lamp. (I was only 16, and incredibly DUMB)
Let's just say I don't do that anymore, and thank God for Safety Gear like Fire Extinguishers.
Everyone gets one chance to learn from their Mistake.

Truthfully, I was over-dramatizing the part about setting my bedspread on fire. I saw a spark but it burned out before even beginning to scorch my bedspread. Most of the pop of the igniter was contained by the plastic centrifuge capsule in which it was encased.

As I recall this is the only way to test the old GWIZ. I did the same thing about 7 years ago building a little test sled for swinging. I did the swing test in the back yard with just an Estes igniter. It took some practice, but I finally got it to work. I decided to use two 9-volt batteries. One was used to run the electronics and the other one for the igniter.

View attachment 157954View attachment 157955

Eventually this went into my modified 'The Launch Pad' Standard Missile to ignite the second stage.

View attachment 157956View attachment 157957

Nice setup in TLP missile. That had to take some patience to build the electronics bay, beyond even the patience and skill it takes to build a Launch Pad kit. I just ordered three TLP kits from Sirius Rocketry, The Hellfire, Anubis, and Alarm. I previously owned the Alarm but destroyed it during recovery at a local field. Looking forward to building it again.

Back