TRF put toilet paper ads on my pictures

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, logging in or using an ad blocker extension will make it go away. For you. But it will make your forum posts and pictures look like crap for anyone who isn't logged in (like potential new members) and who doesn't use an ad blocker.

If I saw this crap on here when I started looking for rocketry stuff online, I would not have registered here. I'd be over at YORF exclusively.

Sorry for the confusion. There was a Skimlinks plugin on here and I asked our developer to replace it. He installed a propriety one that includes all our Javascripts including Skimlinks and also others that by default in-text/in-image ads were enabled. Got it all cleared up now. :)

Sorry for the confusion. There was a Skimlinks plugin on here and I asked our developer to replace it. He installed a propriety one that includes all our Javascripts including Skimlinks and also others that by default in-text/in-image ads were enabled. Got it all cleared up now. :)

Good thing that nobody noticed before it was corrected. Someone might have gotten upset.

Good to know. But while you're here, can you give us an idea what plans or ideas there may be with regard to ads, infolinks, and user fees?

At this time there is nothing planned. The private ads and Skimlinks are suffice.

To comment on other sites we often create high quality vinyl decals and if so we usually create some sort of "Supporting Membership" subscription to roll those out. Shrox is posting TFC screenshots, you can see there you get a few extra stuff but it's all fluff. Members really just upgrade for the decals but even more so in most cases it's just to give back to the site. We started doing that because people just wanted to flat donate so we setup that up but then felt they should get something in return. On all our sites you can disable every single ad even as a free member sans the private ones like you have here. No plans for this now though here.

Almost all our ads on our sites come from lurkers who won't register. None of your user experiences or any new members user experience will be impeded now or in the future. We know from experience that ads do not effect lurkers converting to members, the conversion rate is the same ads or sans ads. We do know that showing ads to members is not positive.

If we do something or plan something I will post about it. In this case there should not have been a change as we were just replacing an already existing plugin but it was not setup correct.

I'm glad to hear it was just an incorrectly setup plugin.

I'm curious, now that you've taken ownership of TRF; will the Moderators remain the same, or will you be appointing new ones?

At this time there is nothing planned. The private ads and Skimlinks are suffice.

To comment on other sites we often create high quality vinyl decals and if so we usually create some sort of "Supporting Membership" subscription to roll those out. Shrox is posting TFC screenshots, you can see there you get a few extra stuff but it's all fluff. Members really just upgrade for the decals but even more so in most cases it's just to give back to the site. We started doing that because people just wanted to flat donate so we setup that up but then felt they should get something in return. On all our sites you can disable every single ad even as a free member sans the private ones like you have here. No plans for this now though here.

Almost all our ads on our sites come from lurkers who won't register. None of your user experiences or any new members user experience will be impeded now or in the future. We know from experience that ads do not effect lurkers converting to members, the conversion rate is the same ads or sans ads. We do know that showing ads to members is not positive.

If we do something or plan something I will post about it. In this case there should not have been a change as we were just replacing an already existing plugin but it was not setup correct.

I did not post any screen shots.

I am heartened that someone has listened and responded to the requirements of this special community. Thank you. However I agree with Mr. Holmes, I myself am often turned off by sites recommended by friends simply because of the ads. No thanks on that. If a video has an ad before, well, I don't watch it, and I find another way to see it without the ad.

I too have a great deal of experience in marketing from print to television to internet. The truth is, the vast majority actively seek to avoid ads, either by scrolling to not see them, or turning off the sound until the video they want to see comes up. A salesperson won't tell you that though. I know this from observing "experience groups", where people are observed freely looking at media, very different from "focus groups" which only tells and shows you want you want to hear and see.

We don't want obnoxious ads. The banner above and one below is plenty.

This comment does not parse. How can advertisements originate from temporary visitors viewing a web site? Please explain.

Misspoke, the ads were only shown to visitors not logged in, but that has been taken care of.

Misspoke, the ads were only shown to visitors not logged in, but that has been taken care of.

Many members of this forum have a wide variety of experiences. None of us want to "call anybody out", but some of do know marketing, web design and IT, so certain pat answers you might have been told to give us just won't work here, like about consumer behaviors regarding their web habits. Statements like "don't worry, ugly ads don't drive people away" is just not true. Some of us also have legal knowledge regarding use of content based on established publishing precedents.

I think that all of us appreciate the forum's usefulness and comradery, and that is what will help keep TRF as we want it be.

Maybe you could tell the new "owners" something like "No! I won't go back! They're mad men! I won't go back, those people are crazy! Don't make me admin that place!" Then collapse in a heap like Gene Wilder in "Young Frankenstein". You might get some paid time off even.

We do know that showing ads to members is not positive.

If we do something or plan something I will post about it....

So, I guess this is what's generally known as "lying", right?

So, I guess this is what's generally known as "lying", right?

You time and again lead the charge against me. I'm not sure why, but plans changed since December, and you leading the outcry forced me to remove the less than intrusive ads and ad structure.

You're not going to be happy with anything I do, although it appears you an American working within the same construct and understanding of economics as I do. Nothing is free, and you continue to use the community free of charge, so what am I supposed to do to keep you happy?

There's nothing. You're determined to be unhappy and lead the charge against me, so I don't know what to tell you anymore.

Don't listen to the complainers. These threads are far more tiresome and intrusive than the ads have ever been.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

You could add annual sponsorships as an option for users who hate ads. Me, I respect that some income stream is needed to keep a site like this running.

I have yet to see anything other than the banner ads at the top. Perhaps this is why most people don't seem perturbed. I can understand shrox being upset if they are altering his images.

the footer ads seem to have gone on holiday( for the moment).

I see one for Granite Countertops up to 40% off.

If you are in the market for granite, and can't see this ad, I can send you the link... :wink:

You could add annual sponsorships as an option for users who hate ads. Me, I respect that some income stream is needed to keep a site like this running.

I will do that and include an option to turn off ads then.

I have no issue with allowing options.

These ads only show up if you're not logged in don't they? I say this because I have never seen an ad. If so, then what's so hard about staying logged in. I don't get the complaining, STOP WHINING!!!:grin:

These ads only show up if you're not logged in don't they? I say this because I have never seen an ad. If so, then what's so hard about staying logged in. I don't get the complaining, STOP WHINING!!!:grin:
Nope, the ads that people are complaining about now are the bannera ds at the top of the page that you see while logged in. You don't see them if you have ad block installed.

I Installed add block and I see No ads. I seriously recommend this If the ads really bother you.
I've question though, would members who don't give monetary support see more ads than there are now?

Nate

Last edited:
I will do that and include an option to turn off ads then.

I have no issue with allowing options.

I would support the site even without an option to turn off ads. I have gained TONS of knowledge here that has helped me enjoy the hobby way more than I would have without this place. I'm all for Free Enterprise and if you need income to keep this place running then you need income. Ads are one way to go. Go for it. Memberships are another way. Hopefully there will be a benefit to being a paid member other than no ads. But I'll definitely support this site.

However, since I have AdBlockPlus on my Firefox browser I never see any ads here anyway, logged in or not. So that's not an issue.

So... if you want to see the ads minimized or almost eliminated—you can pay them to do that! Pay someone to not do something! Genius.

I have a better idea. Since there are people whining and complaining about the "whiners and complainers," why not have them pay the complainers to not complain! Perfect! You get all the ads and no complaints!

Some have already stated that they would willingly and gladly pay for a site that's free and the owners have said sure, we'll take your money. Which in this case is saying "we'll quit assailing you with unwanted ads if you pay us to stop. Well, if the deal is the same as The Flying Circus, it means that they'll kinda, sorta, almost stop the ads. Great deal, right? Especially if you're one of those who want to "give back to the site." Keeping in mind that the owners contribute nothing to the content of this site. You, the members, are the content and value of this site. Without you, they would not have anything of value. Nothing. And yet, you will pay them to put blinders on you so you won't see the adverts they put in your club house that they bought.

I think my deal is better.

Back