The MARIAH-38 IS BACK!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well you won't have to fill spirals on the fiberglass. That is what I am doing on mine. Not too bad, but not as nice as painting fiberglass.

Are the 38's still available? Just curious as I now have the funds available!!!!

I am still on the fence. Changing to a fiberglass body tube is an improvement, on a good design. Very happy with the direction. But in looking closely the functional components (such as the breadbox) have not changed. Do you have more information on the mass improvement, or is it just adding strength?
Thanks
Andrew

I am still on the fence. Changing to a fiberglass body tube is an improvement, on a good design. Very happy with the direction. But in looking closely the functional components (such as the breadbox) have not changed. Do you have more information on the mass improvement, or is it just adding strength?
Thanks
Andrew

Dear Mr. Hal,

You are correct, the only change we have made is a glass AF. As far as the interior components, they have not changed for these reasons: they work, they are lighter and less expensive than glass and I do not have a spare cnc router laying around to do the component fabrication (specifically cutting out the Breadbox window in glass). As stated before, this version weighs 217 grams more than the Magnaframe version and was changed to provide increased strength.

Kent/GLR

Not if you use washable, kid-friendly School Glue.....
(uh,yeah- that's actually the second motor for this bird after it's shakedown flight. Pay very close attention to instructions and use the fiberglas provided.)

Hi Kent,

Do you have dado slots on the body tube for the fins in the new fiberglass version, or are the fins directly attached? Great looking kit. Thanks.

Thanks for the response. The breadbox is pretty neat.
Andrew

Hi Kent,

Do you have dado slots on the body tube for the fins in the new fiberglass version, or are the fins directly attached? Great looking kit. Thanks.

Dear Mr. Kids,

Previously, I cut dado slots in the Magnaframe for the Mariahs and all was well. I tried to do the same with the glass AF and proceeded to break carbide router bits right and left so I had to cut slots all the way through. I provided an updated instruction sheet about the change and Mylar, recommending the builder wrap the Mylar around a 38mm motor case of the appropriate length. That is then inserted inside the slotted end of the airframe providing a "floor", preventing the builder from over-inserting the fins during attachment.

Thank you,

Kent/GLR

Previously, I cut dado slots in the Magnaframe for the Mariahs and all was well. I tried to do the same with the glass AF and proceeded to break carbide router bits right and left so I had to cut slots all the way through. I provided an updated instruction sheet about the change and Mylar, recommending the builder wrap the Mylar around a 38mm motor case of the appropriate length. That is then inserted inside the slotted end of the airframe providing a "floor", preventing the builder from over-inserting the fins during attachment.

This is the same way the KestreL is done, and it works really well.

-Kevin

Dear Mr. Kids,

Thank you,

Kent/GLR

Thanks Kent. I was just curious. Didn't think there were dado slots on fiberglass. I have read nice build threads about the technique that you are describing including Troj's nice Kestrel build thread. All of this M38 talk is getting me to finish my magnaframe version and get some flight time.

I think that the guys at GLR are REALLY busy with their "day jobs" and they seem to do 1 run of kits a year (or two) of the Mariah series. I am sure that one of them will pop up here and comment on the availability of the kits.

I agree the Mariah is a great looking rocket. I have learned that MD is really not the best thing here in New England so I'll pass.

I had always wanted a Doppler Shift as I love the strakes that cover the fin area but I missed the original run(s) and they have since pulled the rocket from the catalog. I suspect that it was a Vertical Assault with the custom "fin-ders" that one could fashion up with enough time and energy. I have neither so I can only lament the passing of the kit (and if anyone has a Vertical Assault they want to sell for a good price I'll GLADLY take it!).

Hope we hear from the GLR guys on Mariah availability for you all.

I think that the guys at GLR are REALLY busy with their "day jobs" and they seem to do 1 run of kits a year (or two) of the Mariah series. I am sure that one of them will pop up here and comment on the availability of the kits.

I agree the Mariah is a great looking rocket. I have learned that MD is really not the best thing here in New England so I'll pass.

I had always wanted a Doppler Shift as I love the strakes that cover the fin area but I missed the original run(s) and they have since pulled the rocket from the catalog. I suspect that it was a Vertical Assault with the custom "fin-ders" that one could fashion up with enough time and energy. I have neither so I can only lament the passing of the kit (and if anyone has a Vertical Assault they want to sell for a good price I'll GLADLY take it!).

Hope we hear from the GLR guys on Mariah availability for you all.

Dear Mr. Sarg,

This is Kent from GLR and I must thank Robert at "BuyRocketmotors.com" for letting me know of this discussion. Here is the skinny, yes, the Mariahs, Talons and other new kits you have never seen with features not available before are coming. I am making parts for the Mariahs right now, but since this is a one man show plus a day job, it takes time and for that I am sorry. I have told others that the Mariahs will be coming out around this time and that is my goal. I want them out there as much as you do. You will hear about them first right here. Thank you much.

Kent

Dear Mr. Sarg,

Kent

Kent - I was pretty sure you would chime in before too long. No worries on this end! I am fully aware that you are very busy. Happy to hear you are still in the game and we always look forward to whatever you have up your sleeve. Thanks for the reply!

Kent,

you have my full attention....waiting for your updates !

ABC-Always-Be-Closing-Alec-Baldwin-Quote.png

Back