1/2 scale PML Patriot build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Got the first set of external fillets done, I mixed 1/2 tablespoon of resin and hardener and a tablespoon of baby powder to thicken the epoxy and I used a Popsicle stick to pull the fillet and once I was done I then removed the tape to let the edge to smooth out.

Your build is turning out great! The fin fillets look great, keep it up.
Thanks RockDoc, the more I do fillets the better I get, I still have 3more sets to do then it's spot putty, high fill primer, sand, repeat.

image.jpg
This was waiting for me at the door :grin: this will be my next project, not sure if I'm going to do a build thread on this rocket, let me know if you would like to see a thread on it.

Of course we want to see a build thread!

Ok, you twisted my arm, I'll do a thread for this.
I'll have all four sets of external fillets done on the 1/2 scale Patriot, then it's primer, filler, sand repeat a few dozen times:caffeine:

The build is done, except for the av bay. Now it's time for the body work and paint.:gavel:

Ok, so I have been busy with the holidays and the 1/4 scale Patriot build but I did get some work done on this build.
image.jpg
Almost forgot how big this rocket is, before sanding.
image.jpg
So glad I have a electric palm sander, it took forever to sand at this point.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Using Elmer's wood filler to fill in the pin holes.

Holy Moses, that's a big 'un! Will it require nose weight for stability? What will your paint scheme be?

Holy Moses, that's a big 'un! Will it require nose weight for stability? What will your paint scheme be?

I think I will have to add weight to then nose cone, just not sure yet, as far as paint, this is the scheme, but bigger.
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Getting ready to start sanding the rocket.
image.jpg image.jpg
Got the payload section sanded, mid way done the lower section, the electric palm sander is making this a breeze.
image.jpgimage.jpg
All the sanding is done, it's now ready for primer.

Looking good. Almost tempting me to start the PML one I've had in the basement for ten years. Waiting for it to age a little more... :facepalm:

Adrian

Looking good. Almost tempting me to start the PML one I've had in the basement for ten years. Waiting for it to age a little more... :facepalm:

Adrian
Thanks, well it's the start of a new year, why not start on that rocket? And do a build thread if you don't mind, I would like to see your progress on it.:cool::madnote:

Great thread..always wanted to do one because my friend built one a long time ago out of CCA parts .

Don Gates, handle rocketman from the 80s and his half scale Patriot

zPic.jpg

Kenny

Now there are 2 fine looking Patriots. I think, I'm going to have to get one and build.

Nice job!
Thank you, since I had some unschedule time off from work I had more time to work on these and got them done sooner then expected, I would like to paint them but right now we are in a deep freeze with lots of snow. Come on Spring.

Great thread..always wanted to do one because my friend built one a long time ago out of CCA parts .

Don Gates, handle rocketman from the 80s and his half scale Patriot

View attachment 158157

Kenny
Thanks, I say go for it, you can't go wrong with a Patriot kit, I would like to do a full scale Patriot but there are two things well three if I include the wife :rofl:holding me back
1: I'm not Cert L3 yet. I must start on that.
2: money, I don't have the funds for it. I must also work on that.

Sean;

Have you thought about what you're going to use for your level 3?

Sean;

Have you thought about what you're going to use for your level 3?
I'm looking at the Insane Bovine 5.5" AGM 33 Pike to do my L3, but I have to start saving $$$ for it. But that could change.

Finally been able to send pics from phone, here's what I went with

Good choice, I like it on my 1/4 scale!

View attachment 158655
You can't go wrong with the original paint scheme, I'm going to have the same colors on my 1/4 scale but not painted the same way, when this weather breaks I can get started on the painting. Looks good, what are the specs on this?

I made it a true DD (no piston) and the upper section was to small for the chute. I added 1 foot to the upper section (now over 9 feet tall) to make room for the chute so I added nose weight (how much ??) Just filled the nose cone 1/2 way with foam, not much. 98mm MM but I reduce it with an adapter. It weighs 35 lbs loaded, no build thread. Flew on K550, low and slow and K1100 fast to about 2000 ft.

As the Patriot sits, I still need to do the body work before I start painting, it's been siting in the corner of my bedroom for the past year, I will soon bust it out and start work on it again. I need to get this Patriot done and in the air.

My last post on this was 11/18/14, today's date 1/21/17 and the half scale Patriot is still unfinished. It still needs a lot of body work, paint and electronics. I really need to get my rear in gear and get this rocket done and in the air.

Back