Mind the Gap... Binder Design Velociraptor Fin Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm attempting to create a downscale BT-60 (violet shifted) 2 stage clone of the Velociraptor. Problem is... Open Rocket doesn't like the boat tail/rear fins, and will display the boat tail, but not the fins.

I think I've figured out the shape of the fins, but I don't know how much space exists between the rear of the main fins, and the leading edge of the back fins. From the image below, it appears that they coincide with the leading edge of the boat tail. Is that right?

My solution to the Open Rocket issue was to forget about it having a boat tail, and model it as if it is just a ~5" length of body tube with fins glued to it.

Thanks!
Jim

The two sets are 1.75" apart. The rear fins are .25" below the tailcone joint, the upper set is 1.5" above the joint.

Last edited:
That design is tight! Awesome looks. And the phrase, "please mind the gap" brings to mind many fond memories of a distant land.
-Ken

Ready?

Prepare for mind blowing....

Here's the updated look with Ogive boat tail. I know that it shows <1.0 cals, but I can add a payload to improve the margin of stability.

Sustainer: (Finished, 3D View)

Booster: (unfinished, 3D view, shoulder omitted)

Last edited:
Ready?

Prepare for mind blowing....

Here's the updated look with Ogive boat tail. I know that it shows <1.0 cals, but I can add a payload to improve the margin of stability.

Sustainer: (Finished, 3D View)

Booster: (unfinished, 3D view, shoulder omitted)

Ever since first seeing the Talon/Eagle Claw/Velociraptor design, I've wanted this to be done.

It'd be a nasty prank on an RSO, telling them that it's single stage and then oops, the tailcone falls off.

Ever since first seeing the Talon/Eagle Claw/Velociraptor design, I've wanted this to be done.

It'd be a nasty prank on an RSO, telling them that it's single stage and then oops, the tailcone falls off.

Probably a really good way to get into some trouble... I'll let you decide.

The RSO table is always a great place for jocularity.

Exactly right, Grouch. Remember, rocket launches are serious business. The last irresponsible clod that got jocular at one of our launches was promptly removed from the property. We split their tools.

Scott w

Last edited:
I realize that this is an old thread... but are you going to upload the ork files? I have need for an ogive boattail design and this one is fantastic.

Back