Sheri's Mercury Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you sir. Doing scale stuff is way easier when it's bigger. Your work is very impressive, imho, much more so than mine, especially because of the scale.

Thank you sir. Doing scale stuff is way easier when it's bigger. Your work is very impressive, imho, much more so than mine, especially because of the scale.

IMHO, you've definitely got "the right stuff' as a craftsman, that's for damn sure!! Just simply marvelous work! :wink:

IMG_0026_1_zps084a5699 (1).JPG Here's a squirrel I've trained to climb up my leg, then sit at my computer eating peanuts. She'll let me pet her too.

I'm continuing on with the placement of the rivet decals around the rest of the fin unit. I will also continue to fabricate the LOX vent, LOX fill and drain and fuel fill and drain details. I'm very satisfied with the results so far, never having thought that I'd be taking this build this far. It's testing my building experience, (which I can't say how much or how little) to the limit. Yet as this progresses, I see an ability in myself that had never been there before. And it's because of everyone who has been both watching and commenting on this thread. Thank you one and all!!:wink:

I meant is the H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) fill and drain assembly, the same as the LOX fill and drain assembly?

I meant is the H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) fill and drain assembly, the same as the LOX fill and drain assembly?

Now I get it.:confused2: No, as it's the only one that is rectangular in shape. All other fill and drain assemblies are circular in shape.

Gotcha. I don't have any experience with Mercury Redstones, hence the question. It'll be interesting to see how you do the circular details.

I've run out of rivet decals and ordered more. Once in place, the drain/fill vents will be built and installed.

IMG_0001.jpg This is the start of the fill/drain plugs. Correct diameters and such. I've more to create and they will come.

View attachment 258602 Here's a squirrel I've trained to climb up my leg, then sit at my computer eating peanuts. She'll let me pet her too.

I like it. We had Peanut and Mighty Mo' in our yard. Peanut, a female, hung around for 5 years. Lived outdoors and came when called. I pet her too. Very soft. Mighty Mo would run down the tree and run up my pant leg and hang from my belt for a treat.

I did a lot of squirrel feeding and never had been bit. I've had 'em grab my finger by mistake going for the nuts but no one chomped down at all. Just mouthed the finger, spit it out and went for the nuts. One young squirrel started nursing like my finger was
a teat/pacifier! That was cute. I commented it wasn't the "right thing" and he let go and went after the nuts.

The key is not to do anything that from the animals point of view is predatory. Do not try to pick up! I would feed and then gradually pat the head and go from there. If they wanted to jump on me, fine. They did it on their terms. I was petting Mighty Mo one time and decided to rub her tummy. That was a no-no from her point of view. I did not get bit but she jumped back and "barked" at me. I realized my faux pas and she went back to eating and I patted her on the head without incident thereafter. I guess the predators flip you and rip your guts out. Squirrels are not considered a reservoir for rabies (neither are house mice) so that is a bit reassuring.

Another interesting aside is other squirrels would see Peanut being fed and come up and take a handout from me. It was, "If she can do it, I can do it situation." Another advantage was they generally stayed out of the bird feeders.
If Peanut jumped on the bird feeder by the kitchen window, I'd look out the window, didn't even have to yell and she'd come to the back deck for a treat. Kurt

I like it. We had Peanut and Mighty Mo' in our yard. Peanut, a female, hung around for 5 years. Lived outdoors and came when called. I pet her too. Very soft. Mighty Mo would run down the tree and run up my pant leg and hang from my belt for a treat.

I did a lot of squirrel feeding and never had been bit. I've had 'em grab my finger by mistake going for the nuts but no one chomped down at all. Just mouthed the finger, spit it out and went for the nuts. One young squirrel started nursing like my finger was
a teat/pacifier! That was cute. I commented it wasn't the "right thing" and he let go and went after the nuts.

The key is not to do anything that from the animals point of view is predatory. Do not try to pick up! I would feed and then gradually pat the head and go from there. If they wanted to jump on me, fine. They did it on their terms. I was petting Mighty Mo one time and decided to rub her tummy. That was a no-no from her point of view. I did not get bit but she jumped back and "barked" at me. I realized my faux pas and she went back to eating and I patted her on the head without incident thereafter. I guess the predators flip you and rip your guts out. Squirrels are not considered a reservoir for rabies (neither are house mice) so that is a bit reassuring.

Another interesting aside is other squirrels would see Peanut being fed and come up and take a handout from me. It was, "If she can do it, I can do it situation." Another advantage was they generally stayed out of the bird feeders.
If Peanut jumped on the bird feeder by the kitchen window, I'd look out the window, didn't even have to yell and she'd come to the back deck for a treat. Kurt

This female would let me rub it's feet and belly while it fed out of my hand. mostly sun flower seeds as it went through those like crap through a goose.

IMG_0001.jpg These are the finished product along with decals from Archer's Transfers. I'll be using the round 'drain/fill' decals to replicate rivet detail. Great product Archer's has!

IMG_0001.jpg Now on to the application of the detail. I've got the outer 'rings' installed with inner detailing to follow. :)

IMG_0001.jpg Not exactly the best picture here but this is one of the decals I'm using to create the rivet detail.

Last edited:
IMG_0001.jpg I know this is not true to the real version. It's the closet I could get using the technique I chose. I'm 50/50 on this. If I stand all the way back into the hallway, it looks better. :eyeroll:

IMG_0002.jpg This is not an uncommon occurrence for me. I may leave them in for too long, cut them too close to the printed side, or a combination of both. Nevertheless, these are the bee's knees as far as Archer is concerned! I hope I didn't just date myself there.

IMG_0003.jpg This is a bit further into the afterwards process. It's demonstrates how easily you can reposition water slide decals.

IMG_0005.jpg This is the Squitch laying on my David Weeks drawings while I was looking for rivet placement. She's a ton of a cat. Purrs like a chainsaw.

Back