Sheri's Mercury Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great build thread, keep it going, like many others this is one of my favorite rockets.

Not sure if you were aware that NARCON 2015 is scheduled to be in Seattle in Feb, so if you are not able to get out to fly in this wonderful weather we've been having, maybe you can make it to the convention.
https://www.nar.org/

here is some coverage of the 2014 event, looks like it was a great event.
https://www.narcon.org/

Great build thread, keep it going, like many others this is one of my favorite rockets.

Not sure if you were aware that NARCON 2015 is scheduled to be in Seattle in Feb, so if you are not able to get out to fly in this wonderful weather we've been having, maybe you can make it to the convention.
https://www.nar.org/

here is some coverage of the 2014 event, looks like it was a great event.
https://www.narcon.org/

Well thanks. That does sound most interesting. I just might do it. : )

IMG_0001[1].jpg A view of one of the scale fillets. I'm using heavy paper, Ca and then a liberal dose of CA over the fillet followed by sanding.

IMG_0003.jpg And one more. I'll sand these down, shoot more primer, see how it looks and go from there. These fins and fillets will have rivets.

IMG_0008[1].jpg One more. Next, I'll be adding rivet detail. I've got some photos from online sources that show some very detailed rivet work. I'll be using a syringe with diluted white glue for the application. At this point, I will have to admit, I'm not entirely happy with the finished product. I just ran out of patience and unfortunately, settled for less.

One more thing. I only filled in the spirals around the fin can unit for now as I was focusing on getting this area right. The rest of the filling will be down hill from here.

I think you are doing a good job. but I get the settling for second. Its hard to maintain your focus when things don/t completely turn out how you like it. Been there done that and have on many occasion just thrown projects in the trash, but nothing to this magnitude. Stay at it and stay focused it will come together ... you can always build another one if need be down the road.

I think you are doing a good job. but I get the settling for second. Its hard to maintain your focus when things don/t completely turn out how you like it. Been there done that and have on many occasion just thrown projects in the trash, but nothing to this magnitude. Stay at it and stay focused it will come together ... you can always build another one if need be down the road.

Build another one?! Now that's funny. But thanks just the same. :lol:

View attachment 251108 One more. Next, I'll be adding rivet detail. I've got some photos from online sources that show some very detailed rivet work. I'll be using a syringe with diluted white glue for the application. At this point, I will have to admit, I'm not entirely happy with the finished product. I just ran out of patience and unfortunately, settled for less.

It looks fine! Sometimes you have to use what one of my favorite Modelmiesters calls "Carte Blanche"(Artistic License), and let yourself be the Artist.
I often hold myself to a higher standard than I am capable of when it comes to "Scale Modeling", but then I just "Do the Thing", and it comes out "Okay in my Opinion", but everyone else thinks it looks good.
I have a long way to go as far as developing my Skills as a Modeler, but the Journey has begun, and that is the ONLY thing that counts. I may be playing catch up, but I'm learning new techniques and styles every day.
I think your Build is going great! Keep up the good work!
Make sure to fly it and get a Pic!

It looks fine! Sometimes you have to use what one of my favorite Modelmiesters calls "Carte Blanche"(Artistic License), and let yourself be the Artist.
I often hold myself to a higher standard than I am capable of when it comes to "Scale Modeling", but then I just "Do the Thing", and it comes out "Okay in my Opinion", but everyone else thinks it looks good.
I have a long way to go as far as developing my Skills as a Modeler, but the Journey has begun, and that is the ONLY thing that counts. I may be playing catch up, but I'm learning new techniques and styles every day.
I think your Build is going great! Keep up the good work!
Make sure to fly it and get a Pic!

Thanks so much for your thoughts on this. It's comforting to know you're in fact not the only one with a certain disposition. Thank you again. :)

Last edited:
I too, have run out of patience and settled for less before. I have found that sometimes setting it aside and walking away for a few days or a week helps. I'm building a 1/4 scale Patriot missile, and it's kicking my ass. Priming and sanding, sanding and priming... Keep at it. You do good work.

I too, have run out of patience and settled for less before. I have found that sometimes setting it aside and walking away for a few days or a week helps. I'm building a 1/4 scale Patriot missile, and it's kicking my ass. Priming and sanding, sanding and priming... Keep at it. You do good work.

Thanks. :wink:

IMG_0001[1].jpg IMG_0002[1].jpg This is the pattern I managed to draw out. I will use this to make two outer 'plates' followed by the inside plate. Looks like one helluva' mess eh?

IMG_0002.jpg IMG_0003.jpg This is a slight modification as I have reduced the angle of the vertical lines to look more like the true angle on the real plate. I don't know if you can tell. The second shot is the modified version.

Last edited:
Steven, I have jumped jumped into this thread and read the whole thing. You certainly have a gift for modeling, and I add my voice to others that I want to see this finished, and maybe even flown!

I am the opposite of you, in that I like to just throw my rockets together and go out and launch; so I have a particular appreciation for people with the patience and the interest in detail that you have shown. I guess because it is so unlike me.

Keep it up, and I hope you make it to a launch!

Steven, I have jumped jumped into this thread and read the whole thing. You certainly have a gift for modeling, and I add my voice to others that I want to see this finished, and maybe even flown!

I am the opposite of you, in that I like to just throw my rockets together and go out and launch; so I have a particular appreciation for people with the patience and the interest in detail that you have shown. I guess because it is so unlike me.

Keep it up, and I hope you make it to a launch!

This is just too cool to hear from you and others! It is getting there though, isn't it?

Glad to see you're back on the wagon. I've been thoroughly enjoying your build so far. Keep up the good work!

Back