Sheri's Mercury Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where the fin extensions meet the main fin?

In response to your previous question to me; While self etching primer isn't ideal because it's not high-build, it is sandable. And I like it because it sticks pretty well to just about any surface, i.e. epoxy clay, cardboard, plastic, wood... I've had pretty good luck with the stuff. The downside is that it doesn't build nearly as quickly. I think I'm just going to lay one more coat of self etching down, then go to a couple of coats of filler primer, then go to my colors.

Yes, you're right about the placement. I think for the remainder of my build I will switch to Lustrekote from Top Flite. I've used it with all my RC aircraft where paint was used. It's the best stuff I've used bar none. But this is only an opinion though.

I must say, this is turning out better than I had anticipated. I really thought that I was going to cash in the project due to the fin fillet segment. It is ONLY because of the tremendous support from EVERYONE that I have not only gotten this far, but have been creating something that is holding up to my tastes. That says a lot about what support can do for you!! Thank you again!! I just teared up damn it...

I had shot my first coat of primer and still need to do some more filling. My emotional outburst on the last post was in part due to my bi-polar disorder. It just happens. A precarious balance at times. :)

I'm going to change primers. I've been using HD Designs Interior/exterior primer just because Joanne can get a 'bargain' at her store. I've mentioned earlier about my use of Lustrekote from Top Flite. I've ordered four cans of this on Amazon for a great price and will be receiving them in two or three days. They only come in flat white which is really not all that bad in finding flaws. I've got half of the body filled again and waiting for more 'push' on my part before going any further. This filling, sanding and priming is at the same level of involvement as the fin fillets were. Just when you step off of one land mine, you step on another. :eyeroll:

I've always considered painting the most annoying and tedious part of building a rocket. You are doing a great job pushing through and it's coming out great!

I've always considered painting the most annoying and tedious part of building a rocket. You are doing a great job pushing through and it's coming out great!

Many thanks to you! I so appreciate your comments on this thread! I wish I could meet some of you if it weren't for me not getting out of the house. I know I could otherwise with a bit of patience as I have arthritis in my back. And to think, I used to be in track and diving in high school. :facepalm:

The weather here lately has given me an excuse to not paint. I'm sure it's lovely for some parts of the country, but it's been drizzling here all day. Be another week before it's dry enough to paint again...

The weather here lately has given me an excuse to not paint. I'm sure it's lovely for some parts of the country, but it's been drizzling here all day. Be another week before it's dry enough to paint again...

You WILL keep us up to date, you know that, right? :wink:

Steven, would you mind letting me know what filler you use? I went back a couple of pages but you don't mention it. I have to say, filling spirals and the lumpy surface of brown tubes frustrates me. It's heartening to see craftsmen such as yourself and others here take the time to get great finishes. It's something I aspire to, but struggle to achieve.

Steven, would you mind letting me know what filler you use? I went back a couple of pages but you don't mention it. I have to say, filling spirals and the lumpy surface of brown tubes frustrates me. It's heartening to see craftsmen such as yourself and others here take the time to get great finishes. It's something I aspire to, but struggle to achieve.

Let me tell you something, I just can't for the life of me put myself in the position where people think that what I am doing is anything special. That's number one, number two is I really think I stink at this as I truly believe I'm no better than anyone else. Now, on to the important info for you. I have been using Red Devil Spackle for filler on the BT spirals and Green Squadron Putty on the tower assembly. I'm going to change primer paints using a heavy filler primer called Lustrekote. We'll see for sure how this turns out as I have used this on RC airplanes many times and found it to be a wonderful product. I still want to thank you for your kind words as these are the only thing that keep me going. Thank you again.

Steven, you continue to prove that a "disorder" is not a "disability." Please finish this project!

Steven,

Looking great! I'm going to need to try doing rivet detail like that some time; I need to work up the patience to really do it well though. What kind of weight are you looking at right now?

As far as the prime/sand/prime/sand ad nauseum process goes, I like to have a base coat of a darker primer (grey or ruddy red) and then spray white over top. When I sand to the darker primer, I stop. I find that the tube "fuzzies" are much easier to deal with this way. The filler I use will stick to dried primer, though. That's a necessity if you do it that way.

Thanks, Steven. Don't sell yourself short. One of the reasons I'm following your thread is you're trying to achieve a high standard, which is tough with scale. I often fall short of that in my own builds, particularly with detail work. I'm planning to build a Cosmodrome Vostok, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

As to Red Devil Spackle, I don't think it's sold here. I guess the key is Spackle. I'll have a look at what is on the shelves at my hardware store. Thanks. :)

No, I'm certain you won't be able to get a hold of her, but ask Red Arrow Hobbies what they can do. If you have a receipt, they may be able to work with you. Also, if you're up to it, try taking her to court. Fair is fair and right is right. BTW, thank you for your comment too. :wink:

Thanks for the input Steven. I may do that, just because its a matter of principal at this point. I've had deals with a ton of people in the industry online, and not one complaint with the exception of this one......so yea. Sorry to dump my gripe on your thread, and I will be watching to see how this little jewel turns out.

Thanks = )
James

Thanks, Steven. Don't sell yourself short. One of the reasons I'm following your thread is you're trying to achieve a high standard, which is tough with scale. I often fall short of that in my own builds, particularly with detail work. I'm planning to build a Cosmodrome Vostok, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

As to Red Devil Spackle, I don't think it's sold here. I guess the key is Spackle. I'll have a look at what is on the shelves at my hardware store. Thanks. :)

If you're going to use spackle, make sure it's "lightweight" spackle.

Thanks for the input Steven. I may do that, just because its a matter of principal at this point. I've had deals with a ton of people in the industry online, and not one complaint with the exception of this one......so yea. Sorry to dump my gripe on your thread, and I will be watching to see how this little jewel turns out.

Thanks = )
James

Dump any time, it's what support in "The Rocketry Forum" is all about. Keep us updated if you can too.

IMG_0001.jpg IMG_0002.jpg More sanding after partial filling and it looks like things are slowly coming around. Another coat of primer is next.

IMG_0001.jpg This is the primer I'll be using from this point on. It really does well at filling. I got four of these on Amazon for $47.32 with shipping. These come in 10 oz. cans. I'll finish off sanding the remainder of the tube then shoot a coat of this primer over everything. It comes in flat white only.

Looking forward to the primed pictures. I had no idea Krylon had a primer geared to model paint.

IMG_0001.jpg More dust. I start out with 180, 220, 320, 400 then 600. This is only after 180.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Steven...she is looking great so far! For me..sanding and filling is probably the toughest part of any build for me....gets real tedious real fast! you are doing an awesome job!!

Back