My Patriot!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't realize the size of this kit until i seen you holding it. Nice ride!

A good low priced, nice flying rocket. Yours came out very nice.:cheers:

Very nice job. Hope to build one of these one day but it might me a high power.

Very nice job. Hope to build one of these one day but it might me a high power.

My next Patriot is going to be Mid-Power. I wanna' see this size Patriot on a 29mm. That way I can also fly it with a 29-24mm Adapter if 29 is overkill.

Funny.....i have a Patriot that has been sitting about 1/2 complete for a couple of years. Two fins have broken off and I just noticed that my fins on my Patriot are different than yours! I need to go back and look at my instructions and see what happened there.......interesting.....

EDIT: Sonamabeetch........I can't believe it - I put the fins on with the wrong edge on the tube.......good thing I got two broken off, now I'm gonna have four......:facepalm:

Last edited:
My next Patriot is going to be Mid-Power. I wanna' see this size Patriot on a 29mm. That way I can also fly it with a 29-24mm Adapter if 29 is overkill.

A 29mm is definitely overkill for that size rocket. You'll never see it again. Even a 24mm E or D is going to be very hard to find again, in my opinion.

You've got 2 threads going on this same rocket, and from what I remember of the other thread, you've flown it on Bs. Try your stock rocket a few times on a C6 and see how high it goes. Then maybe build another with a 24mm mount and work your way up through C11, D12, and E9 or E12. I'd be amazed if you get it back.

Sonamabeetch........I can't believe it - I put the fins on with the wrong edge on the tube.......good thing I got two broken off, now I'm gonna have four......:facepalm:

The only way that gets more embarrassing is when they're fins you designed yourself.

Or, um, so I've heard.

A 29mm is definitely overkill for that size rocket. You'll never see it again. Even a 24mm E or D is going to be very hard to find again, in my opinion.

You've got 2 threads going on this same rocket, and from what I remember of the other thread, you've flown it on Bs. Try your stock rocket a few times on a C6 and see how high it goes. Then maybe build another with a 24mm mount and work your way up through C11, D12, and E9 or E12. I'd be amazed if you get it back.

I agree... I've done the 24mm... the E9 goes way out of sight.. makes for a long walk if the rocket gods don't keep it. I've launched my regular 18mm version on Aerotech D13 RMS loads a number of times out in the desert. Bring extra eyes if you attempt anything above a C6!

Hmm.. there are a couple of 29mm RMS E's.. but I've never used or Sim'd one...

Jerome

You are all correct. I'll just stick to a Patriot 24mm. It is more impressive to recover a Rocket that goes 1600ft. than it is to lose sight of one permanantly at 2000ft.

If you've gotten into kit-bashing yet, and you still want a 29mm Patriot, how about converting a Leviathan into a 3" diameter upscale? The nose cone isn't exactly right, but it should be close enough that it will still look good. If you need more 3" tube, you can order it from BMS.

I just learned that Estes used to make a 3" scale Patriot https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...Patriot-(MIM-104)-Gallery&p=291225#post291225.

4x24 cluster!

And, on the other hand, an 18 mm mini Patriot https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...Patriot-(MIM-104)-Gallery&p=291099#post291099.

The Patriot Pro comes up on Ebay from time to time: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Estes-2066...279228219?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item3cd574a13b

Neat kit with the boattail, diamond profile fins (built up with balsa stringers and card stock skins) and lots of custom centering rings. Of course, a Leviathan gets you the basic airframe and I think the plans are on JimZ.

Here's a Leviathan that a member converted into a Patriot when he had fin damage and had to cut some of the stock fin off.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...Leviathan-(-9700)-Gallery&p=409327#post409327

The fins are not exactly right, but I think it looks good. If you wanted to, you could cut new fins exactly the way you want them before building. I think making the yellow section into a payload bay would be kind of cool too.

There's a lot of great Leviathans in this gallery that aren't Patriots that are worth checking out too...

Last edited:
If you've gotten into kit-bashing yet, and you still want a 29mm Patriot, how about converting a Leviathan into a 3" diameter upscale? The nose cone isn't exactly right, but it should be close enough that it will still look good. If you need more 3" tube, you can order it from BMS.

I'm busy "Kit Bashing" a TLP ALARM Rocket right now. Here's todays Patriot Launch on a B4-4.:

Here's another shot of the same Launch. You can see it being effected by the Wind. I recovered her on a Streamer 50 Ft. from the Pad. Only climbed to about 150ft. on a B4-4, and the Streamer did'nt deploy until about 50ft.. That was neat though, because it was a good opportunity to observe the Deployment at close Range. It was like watching the Brakes come on.:

I have to run the Camera with one Hand, and the Aerotech Interlock Controller with the other. I start the Shutter with my Left Hand, and with my Right Hand I push the Safety Key in against my Knee, while I'm sitting, so as to only need one Finger to press the Launch Button.

I have to run the Camera with one Hand, and the Aerotech Interlock Controller with the other. I start the Shutter with my Left Hand, and with my Right Hand I push the Safety Key in against my Knee, while I'm sitting, so as to only need one Finger to press the Launch Button.

I've done that! Usually I get a picture of my hand. Or clouds.

Nice paint job, btw.

Flown mine on D12-5 in a big field (Higgs farm) not out of sight. Love that rocket, nice job on yours. It's a keeper.

I'm gonna do it anyways because I can, with a fiberglassed airframe and fin with cable cutter based dual deploy (streamer for visibility and parachute at 700 feet). The nose cone and top section (yellow from estes) will be my AvBay. May be overkill but our field has no trees in the common directions the wind blows, just a corn field almost a mile away. I've simmed it with AT 29mm loads (up to H250) and that puts it about 5200 ft (according to the sims, reality of course will be different) and a stability of 1.74 cal. Of course it will be flown with Ds, Es, and Fs first.

Back