DVR Camera and Mount

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samtc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A short history .....

In the late 90's I watched a friend build and fly a video camera with transmitter. With the exception of the time it triggered the altimeter when he turned it on, the system worked great. From that time on, I have been interested in packing a camera or a video camera on a rocket. I have flown various versions from $500 down to $80. Most were packed in the rocket with or without mirrors with mostly good success. With the availability of cheap cameras from China and the advent of 3D printing, Malcolm and I have put together a pretty neat combination. The U8 video camera, 8 gig memory card and 3D Printed Mount for 3", 4" 5" and 6" airframes. We offer two colors, White and Black ABS. Since the mounts are printed with ABS Plastic, you can paint them any color you like. Although the printing is not as smooth as I would like, it has turned out to be very functional.

FC_CAM_3W_Mounted_Painted_001.jpeg

Information and videos can be found at: https://theflightcommander.com/flight-commander-video

Cost of the Camera, 8gig Card and Mount of your choice is $60. We include shipping within the US and will pay the sales tax if you live in South Carolina.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Sam

Last edited:
It is a nice little unit. I bought one a couple months back.

way cool! any chance you'll offer the mounts without the camera?

Absolutely.... I'll have Malcolm load them on the website. If there is a demand, we can print mounts for other cameras.

Thanks all..... Malcolm called and wanted to know what I did in the we hours of the morning. He has been busy boxing them up. Thanks!!

you guys have some interesting products on your site. care to talk about any of them?

you guys have some interesting products on your site. care to talk about any of them?

All are in various stages of testing. FC Deploy was close till we did a heavy round of testing and were not happy with the CO2 flow designed to blow the nose cone. Malcolm is in the middle of a redesign. FC GPS is close.... We are also working on GSE for wireless HyperTek systems.

Last edited:
I'll definitely pick up an 808 mount.

the deploy sounds interesting. I look forward to hearing more about it.

thanks!

Ordered the 808s on Saturday using Amazon.com and my Prime Membership. Arrived at Malcolm's this morning!! Hope to have something to show you by weeks end.

Here are screen shoots of the CAD File for the 808 DVR. The thought is to have the 808 snap in place. You would then secure the DVR with a screw through the lanyard slot. We have printed a couple but still need to adjust the form to ensure all buttons are accessible. We would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks, Sam & Malcolm

FC-2_808_Mount_001.png FC-2_808_Mount_002.png FC-2_808_Mount_003.png

Looks nice! Any chance you could extend the mounting tabs for more area? I was hoping for a less permanent mount with some tape.

The tabs are .45" wide. How wide would you prefer? Would you still want the mounting holes?

Last edited:
Will the 808 #16 V2 with the 120 degree "lens D" fit in your 808 mount?

Will the 808 #16 V2 with the 120 degree "lens D" fit in your 808 mount?

I suspect it would require drilling the front edge to accommodate the lens. I'll order one and check it out.

808_NoTabs_002.jpg808_NoTabs_001.jpg

We have been working the 808 design since last week. Malcolm and I reviewed the progress and have opted to bag the "tabs". We can produce them with tabs but we think placing the mounting holes under the camera will work better. We are having some issues with overheating when we get to the top of the unit. Not sure we will have this resolved by Monday but, we are working on it.

Thank you for the continued interest.

Sam

Ok Guys...

808 Keychain Camera Mount:
We have noodled around with several designs for the 808 and the 16 Keychain Camera Mounts. We have gone with a little more robust unit than the first prototypes. The unit has two mounting holes under the camera and can be fastened to the airframe with wood screws or a number 6 screw. The mount has a number 4 nut pressed in the back under the lanyard hole of the camera. To insert the camera, simply slide the camera under the overhang and fasten the camera to the mount with a number 4 screw. This mount will offer a significant amount of protection to the camera.

16 Keychain Camera Mount:
We have a separate design for the 16 which has slightly different dimensions. The final design should be complete in a week or so.

Let us know what you think?

Sam

808_4B_Mounted_SideView.jpg808_4B_Mounted_TopView.jpg

Sam sent me a prototype that FCS didn't feel was up to their standards for me to check it out. i was happy with the quality but it shows their goal of perfection. i was truly impressed with the design and how easy it would be for me to add video to my families rocket flights. every detail and need had been accounted for to mount the cameras in a secure and stylish way, much better than the electrical tape mount we used before. i can't wait to get the "improved" version.

Thanks Lance,

We are planning to fly several this weekend including a 54mm version. I really do like the thicker higher walls. Took a little engineering on Malcolm's part to get it all to print right.

Reach out to Malcolm and he will put you in the cue for replacements. Thanks for the beta !

Sam

Back