Good digital scale for small batches of epoxy?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey gang, can I get a recommendation here? There's approximately 1,283,922,606 different scales out there and I'd like to just cut to the chase and get something that's known to work.

I had to mix some JB Weld last night and I tried my postal scale (10LB max w/ supposed 1 gram resolution). It was absolutely useless. I tare'd out my container and even with huge blobs of JBW it still read zero.

Thanks!

The harbor freight scale is a deal. I checked mine with a OHauss triple beam and its dead on accurate.

I use my electronic reloading scale that I use for measuring powder. Works great fro small amounts. I also have the Harbor Freight scale good to 75 pounds and I have an Ohaus scale for weights up to about 3000 grams. I use the reloading scale the most. I hope this helps someone.

So you measure the expoxy resin and hardner ?
I've been doing it by eye.
I take it you get more consistency by measurement.

Do you use small paper cups as the holders ?

Still learning,
Peter AI6PG DM04pg

Still learning,
Peter AI6PG DM04pg

Yes. Most quality epoxies will give you "by weight" measures which most find easier to get accurate (vs "by volume" measures).

Still learning,
Peter AI6PG DM04pg

Yes, you get better consistency if you weigh per the manufacturer's recommended ratios.

Two things are required for a good epoxy join (actually a few more, but for now just two):

1. Proper amounts of resin and hardener
  2. Mixing the resin and hardener until thoroughly mixed

I always put the resin and hardener into the same receptacle, whether it is a paper cup (for larger amounts) or just a sheet of paper (for smaller amounts).

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also if you want the greatest accuracy from a scale you need to calibrate it with proper calibration weights.

You probably don't need 0.01 gm accuracy. I would think 0.2 to 1 gm should be enough.

I've been using a lab balance (borrowed from a classroom)... 400g max, .01 g resolution, for 5:1 by weight epoxy.

It's nice to have the .01g resolution when doing tiny, tiny batches. 1 g is definitely too imprecise, but 0.1 would be sufficient.

You probably don't need 0.01 gm accuracy. I would think 0.2 to 1 gm should be enough.

This is what I've seen. I'll admit that I only mix batches of greater than ten grams, but my 1g-resolution scale has worked just fine. I've been using it for Aeropoxy ES6209 and so far I haven't had any issues with proper curing.

Also if you want the greatest accuracy from a scale you need to calibrate it with proper calibration weights.

Not really if you use it to measure 50-50 ratio epoxy, it's not important to know the exact weight in gram; If the balance have an error, it will be on both . Now if you want to measure epoxy with another ration than 50-50 , you need to have a good linearity to make sure the weight is ok, but many balance will need 2 weight to adjust the linearity calibration.

Now when you purchase a balance even if it as a readability of 0.01, you have to check the spec what is the accuracy.

I'm using the same one. I've used it on various flavors of AeroPoxy, and a few other epoxies, and it has worked quite well.

-Kevin
I took your advice from another thread. Worked quite well for me on my Piranha and Fantom builds.

Thanks all. Lots of good ones to choose from, it seems. I ended up scoring one of these. 200g and 0.01 resolution. Should do the trick!

scale.jpg

Not so, if you want to measure epoxy, the actual amount doesnt matter - just the relative amounts. A strain gauge scale will work just fine, as it should always measure the same amount of strain, even if that strain is wrong.

It depends on the volume of epoxy you mix. If you need 2g of epoxy, then the 0.1g is quite inaccurate.

Having 0.01g scales, I find that I mix all my epoxies in much smaller volumes that I would have in years past. I usually end with a few drops of epoxy in the bottom of my container after each bit of joint, which is exactly what you should (especially at $90/500g for high end epoxies.)

I use these:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portabl...60?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2ebe3ece24

Last night I had to pull them apart for the first time in 2years. Enough epoxy had gotten into it, and other crap that the screen stop working half way. All fixed up now, and all cleaned up working again. It's had many times it's value in epoxy spilt on it and still works great. I'ts got a nice 300g strain gauge in it and does the job pretty well. It has decent construction.

Not really if you use it to measure 50-50 ratio epoxy, it's not important to know the exact weight in gram; If the balance have an error, it will be on both . Now if you want to measure epoxy with another ration than 50-50 , you need to have a good linearity to make sure the weight is ok, but many balance will need 2 weight to adjust the linearity calibration.

Now when you purchase a balance even if it as a readability of 0.01, you have to check the spec what is the accuracy.

It appears my post is being misinterpreted, I was saying to get the most accuracy out of any scale. You need to calibrate it, I understand for epoxy its not that big of an issue.

But in general is what I was talking about, not for epoxy but for anything.

Last edited:
I think there are many NTEP certified scale that providing accuracy up to three decimal why not you try that . I am using one that i bought from Amazon and also getting accurate measurement with that scale. But these scale are little expensive but you get accurate measurement with that scales.

Last edited:
Back