TLP Kormoran rivet detailing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketbuilder

Reaction score
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I was last on here, but I'm getting back into rocketry mode as summer approaches. :)
Anyway, one of the kits I'm working on is the TLP Kormoran, and I can't figure out what to use for the rivet detailing on the fins. I looked at straight pins in Michael's thinking that the heads from those would work nicely, but even the largest ones seemed pretty small to me. The instructions say to use "modeler's pins," but I've not been able to find anything called that that looks like it would work. I have heard about Bradycros' method of using accelerated CA glue, but I'd rather not use that method on this build.
So, any suggestions?
Thanks in advance! :D

I don't know where you got the idea I use CA for rivets, but your getting it straight from me... I don't!

Last edited:
You can use a nice thick white glue, thicker the better ,as when the water evaporates ,the dot will shrink a bit also.I use Weldbond all prupose white glue to make rivets on my Merc. Redstone capsule ,worked quite well, just used a pointed toothpick and dabbed on dots of glue,keeping them uniform.

If you can get Titebond Trim and molding glue (nice and thick) that may work well for you.

Others may have better advice.

A fellow in my rocket club actually did the pinhead thing on one of his kits and while it was probably a major PITA ,it looks really nice and very scale and lifelike.

Paul T

Paul T

I'll Second Sodmister on using Thickened white glue with a dotter or toothpick applicator for large diameter rivets. Works will be is very labor intensive.

Straight pin heads an also be an easier way to simulate tinners rivets depending on the "scale" working with.

another way is to use micro-marks rivet decal sheet. for BT-80 stuff the O-gauge size sheet may do the trick particularly if you're really doing this as a sport flying stand-off scale model they might be the easiest way to get the job done.

O Scale Rivet Decal-a_8.5 x 11 decal sheet_09-12-11.jpg

I used the small bump stickers the Michael's carries for my Acme spitfire:

IMG_3705.jpg

I used Titebond Molding and Trim glue and a toothpick on the door.

I used the small bump stickers the Michael's carries for my Acme spitfire:

View attachment 128779

I used Titebond Molding and Trim glue and a toothpick on the door.

Wow, very cool; and it looks like it's exactly what I need! :) I assume they are with the rest of the stickers/scrapbooking supplies?

I don't know where you got the idea I use CA for rivets, but your getting it straight from me... I don't!

Actually that was me... It works with varying success.

Whoops, sorry about the confusion. :blush:

........The instructions say to use "modeler's pins," but I've not been able to find anything called that that looks like it would work.
They probabling thing about something like I use on my trains layout, I don't know if it's good to make rivets, but it as many use in a shop,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Woodland-S...531581?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2a2c47d53d

what I will use in your case , it's those pounce wheels with pins on it, you roll it on the reverse of the piece of paper

View attachment 128803

they sell it here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Excel-Poun...407079600?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item5d3a1f2ab0

Last edited:
Wow, very cool; and it looks like it's exactly what I need! :) I assume they are with the rest of the stickers/scrapbooking supplies?

Yup. They have a million different kinds of colors. The round ones are fewer than ones that look like jewel faces though.

They probabling thing about something like I use on my trains layout, I don't know if it's good to make rivets, but it as many use in a shop,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Woodland-S...531581?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2a2c47d53d

what I will use in your case , it's those pounce wheels with pins on it, you roll it on the reverse of the piece of paper

View attachment 128803

they sell it here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Excel-Poun...407079600?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item5d3a1f2ab0

I used those pounce wheels on my model airplanes (1/48 scale) made so so kits into much better kits along with scribed lines.

Paul T

I used those pounce wheels on my model airplanes (1/48 scale) made so so kits into much better kits along with scribed lines.

Paul T

I use it to make nails hole in my 1/48 scale trains layout wood buildings , lol

I doubt it. Their website is useless.

My thoughts exactly. I guess I'll just wait until next time I can get down there, probably tomorrow. I just can't understand why such a large retail chain wouldn't have a better website.

Try one of those Dollar store joints ,they sell various sheets of self adhesive domes etc by the hundred.....and for.....yup.....a BUCK !

I go there to buy assortment packs of paintbrushes ,used to apply and brush on finishing epoxy and Balsa sealer etc. They can actaull;y be washed in lacquer thinner and alcohol and re-used.Pretty good for a dollar.

Need heavy cardstock for templates or rolling nosecones,tailcones or transitions ?

Yessir ,one dolla !

HOW DO THEY DO IT........:facepalm:

I do however go to Micke`s for those times i want to pay full retail + 100 % LOL

Paul T

Last edited:
Since I won't be able to get to the dollar store or to Michael's today, I went ahead and cut 32 ~1/8" long pieces of 3/32" diameter dowel, which will be mounted in holes cut in the 1/4"x1/16" balsa strips once the CWF dries. It's going to be a rather tedious process, but I think it will be worth it; I'm aiming for a very high level of detail on this one. :)

My thoughts exactly. I guess I'll just wait until next time I can get down there, probably tomorrow. I just can't understand why such a large retail chain wouldn't have a better website.

Thanks all... I'll meander over to a Dollar Store or Micky's and check it out. I can tell you CA kicker activated detail works, but is not consistent. But like any detail, so few people do it, anyone who sees it in line thinks its cool. No matter how bad you think it is.

Back