My Aerotech Arreaux build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man you got the cheap engine mount with that kit too, I see guys going with the Aeropack retainers, it there anything wrong with the estes 29mm retainer? Its a bit cheaper..

What's wrong with using the elastic shock cord? Rocket that size the cord will last longer than rocket. I got several dozen flights on my Arreaux's and Mustangs. The rockets are all beat up, tubes have tears in it, motor hook broke off, but the shock cord just as strong as it was brand new.

Personally I never seen the appeal of using kevlar on smaller rockets.

I do agree, you want to ditch the aerotech motor hook. They break so easily. Aeropack seems overkill, I personally would of gone with an estes retainer.

Other than that, looks like a fun build :)

FWIW, the elastic cord on my Arreaux tore in half on the maiden flight. I am replacing it with kevlar for the next flight. :D

Mike

P.S. Nice build so far! The aeropack retainers are really, realy nice, but I have to admit that I just got a package of the 29mm estes retainers for a new build and they work great. At ~$2/ea, I don't think you can beat the price to performance ratio!

I'm working on a GFORCE build right now. I have a build thread in the forum under Mid Power Rockets and I'm considering using the stock elastic in conjunction with Kevlar as an anchor cord. The elastic in my opinion will allow some give when the rocket separates and the chute deploys. I'm going to get loops sewn on each end of the elastic and Kevlar and use quick links to fasten the cord(s) I don't see it as being a problem and I'll save a few bucks in the process.

It's all good. The aeropacks looks great. No reason not to install what you want!

If you wanted to use both types of cord I guess you could tie each end off to a swivel with a bowline. I'm not sure I would add that many extra failure points myself. I think it would be easier to just use a single longer length of kevlar and add a couple of pull-apart loops (taped up with masking tape) for shock/strain relief. I plan to try that on my arreaux.

Mike

I love the Arreaux! I really like the looks of the aeropack and I cant wait to see how it looks on your Arreaux when you finish. I've stuck with the stock shock chord and it has served me well. No sign of wear yet.

Do you thin your Bondo spot putty with somthing? I'm sitting here filling spirals and flaws on my Sumo with the same stuff and your picture looks like it would be much easier to sand.

Yeah I use the Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty...havent come across the pro before. I guess I need to start using a squeegee. I've been applying mostly with a gloved finger and it tends to go on thicker than I would like.

I treat it like the Elmers wood filler. Thin it slightly so it is thick syrup/thin PB. Use a laquer thinner. Then brush it on with cheap bristle paint brush (1/2" - 1"). Do about about 1-2 ft of spiral at a time. Let it be a little thick. Then imediately follow with a new safety razor as a "puddy Knife", holding it about 90 degrees to the tube and axially in line with the tube. Clean off buildup on the blade as it gets thick. Sanding is easy. On bigger BTs, I use a 1/4 sheet vibrating sander.

Last edited:
Anymore Progress? I did a similar modification on my Arreaux (leave out motor hook and block, replace with Aero Pack). I did leave the cooling mesh in place though, as I find it works well and you can still easily fit a CTI 3-Grain case in the rocket. The Arreaux was my first MPR flight and despite the flaws I made during the build -- I'm really quite fond of it that rocket.

Cheers.

SDC15795.jpg

SDC15791.jpg

SDC15660.jpg

hey thanks for this post. im just starting my first Aerotech build, the Wart Hog, and have already gotten some good pointers.
thanks.

This is really cool...I might try something like this down the road. Cant wait to see the vid from your camera set up.

Hey! Somebody else who rips apart keychain cameras! Can't wait to see how you work the mirror bit.

Very nice approach to mounting the tramsmitter. How are you securing it? I was hoping for a transmitter on my Arreaux when it went BVR on a G40.

Back