What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished working the range and helping 48 middle school, high school, and college teams fly as part of NASA's Student Launch Programs.

This is my favorite event, every year -- a great group of volunteers comes out to help, and a great group of NASA folks come out, as well.

Kevin, you and I have talked about this before but this had to be one of those times when you didn't even launch a single rocket yourself but still had a blast. I think its very cool that you guys give your time and knowledge helping these kids on this project.

Kevin, you and I have talked about this before but this had to be one of those times when you didn't even launch a single rocket yourself but still had a blast. I think its very cool that you guys give your time and knowledge helping these kids on this project.

You got it - a great time, without flying anything of my own!

Oh, and where's that build thread?!

I apply epoxy with gloves for the first time. I also listen the Apogee video on how to build a fiberglass rocket as I receive my 4" FG Madcow Little John today

As long as my wife holds the twins in for a few more days, I'm going to my first club launch this weekend. So I just went over all my rockets to see what I'll fly. Not counting the endless supply of LPR, I have three flyable rockets, and 11 in various stages of building/repair. ><. Ah well, gonna be good to get out and fly with some other people, and hopefully I get to go.

Last edited:
As long as my wife holds the twins in for a few more days, I'm going to my first club launch this weekend. So I just went over all my rockets to see what I'll fly. Not counting the endless supply of LPR, I have three fly able rockets, and 11 in various stages of building/repair. ><. Ah well, gonna be good to get out and fly with some other people, and hopefully I get to go.

Enjoy have fun.

Well....I spotted a rocket lying along the side of country road near my house. Unfortunately, it's a rather high speed roadway in spite of being narrow and only two lanes. Rush hour traffic precluded me from pulling over to investigate. Early tomorrow morning, I will make good on this.

My order from Adept Rocketry arrived today (Shout out!) and I ordered it late Sunday evening IIRC so I'm very happy with the response time. The downside is that I now realize there were other items I should have ordered as well. Doncha hate when that happens?

Sometimes it seems like I ordering rocket parts from all over the country and mostly not spending more than $20 at a time. It's all those little hard to find things. Charge wells, rail buttons, rail button standoffs, micro centrifuge tubes, etc.

I built an Aerotech Mustang today! Those things go together so fast I didn't even have time to start my camera. It's like EX2 for mid power!

More work on decals for the Estes Explorer Aquarius. I'm past the 2/3 mark, which still leaves a load o' decalin'. Also finished two reviews. Just need to go through my pics and attach them.

Bought a Nexus tablet, to use along with a TeleBT and AltOSDroid.

I got a chance to play around with this combination a bit (well, okay on Keith's phone, not a tablet), and it's really slick. No more carrying a laptop around, in the field, to communicate with a TeleMetrum!

-Kevin

Bought a Nexus tablet, to use along with a TeleBT and AltOSDroid.

I got a chance to play around with this combination a bit (well, okay on Keith's phone, not a tablet), and it's really slick. No more carrying a laptop around, in the field, to communicate with a TeleMetrum!

-Kevin

Is there an iPad version of that software? Peaseeeee say there is. I'm already mad I can't use a Bluetooth serial converter with my ipad....

Is there an iPad version of that software? Peaseeeee say there is. I'm already mad I can't use a Bluetooth serial converter with my ipad....

Nope. 'tis why I bought the Nexus; I already own an iPad, which is the tablet I'll use on a regular basis.

Keith and I discussed it, and there are some...annoyances...to how Apple does things, in terms of specialized Bluetooth hardware talking to an iOS device. Suffice to say, the financial aspects are unrealistic in a niche device.

So, I bought a "rocketry tablet"; I went ahead and threw OpenRocket on there, too.

My iPad will continue to be my "daily tablet".

-Kevin

Sanded and painted my MDRM nose cone yesterday, two coats of gloss black, going to wet sand it today and clear coat it. Also, attached the fins, going to be using Fix-It to apply the fillets. First time using it so I will be practicing on a piece of scrap BT that I glued a scrap piece of hobby ply to. I started an album under my profile of the build.

You got it - a great time, without flying anything of my own!

Oh, and where's that build thread?!

I will get started on it tonight or tomorrow - promise. Have tons of pics and since I am documenting the build for certification it will be a snap to paste in here little by little. Looking at 13,000 feet and mach 1 on a C-Star M2250! Should be very cool.

Ok, I admit, I'm a binge builder :p 5 more being worked on at the moment. From a Bt 5 to 3 BT 50 based(useing up the cones) and a BT 70 tube with a BNC70 AJ cone from BMS. As the Estes cutting rings nor the marking tools are made for the BT 70 it takes a little more to get the tube cut. I'm cutting this tube because I already have a full length 18" and a 2 section BT 70 rocket so a shorter one is in order.

I can tell when I'm building too much; I run out of things. I had to get elastic, ring eyes, some centering rings, balsa for fins. Next months orders will include a bunch of cones for 55, 60, 70, and 80 sizes of tubes. 5 BT20 and 5 BT50 tubes for motor mounts and I need motor block/centering rings. I have a bunch of Estes centering rings from Builders Specials I've got over the years so I'm still set with them. I still need eye rings, the ones I got are almost too small. Ok for BT5 but even BT20 is streching it. I found some on ebay for cheap. They are 15mm x 8mm so they should do fine. Still think I need something bigger for the BT 70 and 80 nosecones because they are so heavy. I really like the anchors that BMS have added to their cones.

Also on tap: even more motors, starting with the A8-3 Blastoff Pack, some C11's and a few packs of the Estes E's I haven't tried :)

dcbertelsen stopped by, to pick up the box I picked up from Wildman, for him.

Watched our cat stalk him, insistent on getting up in his lap. That was hilarious!

-Kevin

dcbertelsen stopped by, to pick up the box I picked up from Wildman, for him.

Watched our cat stalk him, insistent on getting up in his lap. That was hilarious!

-Kevin

Returned an untried RRC3. :(

Picked up said box from Wildman with more APCP in it at one time than I've ever launched in a year. :D

Had fun entertaining troj with my successful cat-dodging reflexes. :cool:

Saw some hardware that I'm seriously entertaining procuring! :drool:

Started organizing a "field trip" with our rocket club to the next club launch. Can't wait to see them go :y:!

Last edited:
Began my Level 3 build thread and watched the Mythbusters episode that featured the Dragon Rockets!

Sadly nothing&#8230; Was planning on starting on my Minnie Magg build for my L1 attempt that I&#8217;m hoping to go for soon. But with the nice weather, I spent the day planting some landscaping. Now I&#8217;m too sore to do much else. Got more planting lined up again tomorrow.

Painted outside 70* this afternoon, 3 days ago it snowed here

Vacuumed out inside MH , on weather watch if 10 day forecast stays looking nice will be camping week after May 4/5 launch

Read the forums, made a spreadsheet of motors I have in hand, washed some fiberglass tubes, and got up some more FFFFg.

Back