What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Printed forms, liability waivers, and flight cards for some upcoming high power launches. Fretted a bit over the weather forecast for next weekend's L2 attempt.

Worked on a few competition models today. An upscaled, rear ejection Mosquito. A 13mm Streamer Duration model. A Two Minute Egg (with a conical body made from an old calendar photo). And a start on a second egg lofter based on another plan I found in the NAR archives.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1494119757.462965.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1494119774.845928.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1494119798.483565.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1494119817.499545.jpg

Launched 4 rockets with 4 kids today... two scratch built ones on D12s that I made with/for my boys (8yo and 11yo) and introduced my partners two kids (5yo and 7yo) to rocketry with two little RTF 18mm streamer MDs on A8s (got them for $5 each at my local hobby store's clean out!)... all modelled to keep them as close to 400ft as possible...

All flew really well (and straight!!) The last one of the day caught a strong wind coming down on its chute about 200ft off the ground and my eldest and I had a jolly run to retrieve it.. waaaay past the car park - drifted back about 200m past the launch point...

Best part was watching the random dad at the playing field mocking my son when we informed them we were launching rockets (safety first), then hearing his "Oh WOW!" when the first D12 went up!!

Did a dry run of a school demo I'm doing soon. Light breeze, 5 flights up, 2 misfires (shorted igniters), 5 successful recoveries, max walk 55 paces, which means I'm in good shape for a fun launch

It's not a perfect soldering job, but my Eggtimer Quark is ready to get wired up for testing in my Go Devil 29.
IMG_8860-2.jpg

Started an Enerjet Aero Dart clone and slight upscale from the original 2" to BT70 (2.2"). While listening to some classic 80's glam rock by Alice Cooper, WASP, etc.

Looked at my Nike Smoke kit sitting on the table from across the room. Thought about getting started on the fin sanding. Then started the laptop and came to the Forum. Rough day so far...

Went to the R/C field to spend the afternoon with Grandpa (97), and took a handful of rockets with me to launch also, not as many as I usually take. Flew my newly finished (still in primer) upscaled, rear-eject Mosquito on a B6-4. Flawless! The last flight of the day was an Estes Crossfire on a C6-7. Winds aloft were a little stronger than anticipated and I ended up walking 1/2 mile through briar and bramble to retrieve it, but retrieve it I did, about ten feet shy of tall trees and power lines!

I did the last few tweaks to the Mobius camera mount design I made for my PML Quicksilver. The Quicksilver has a 58mm outer diameter on the body tube, so this should work for pretty much anything about that size.

The file to 3d print it is here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2303518

I plan to fly on Memorial Day.
Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 9.40.34 PM.png

Yesterday I tested my flyaway railguides on my first fiberglass bird. I also found a pond instead of my Lvl1.

el_stretcho.jpg found_a_pond.png

Shout out to all the other flights at Tulsa Rocketry yesterday, had a great time.

Took the GF and her grandson (5 yo) out to one of the local school yards to launch a few rockets this afternoon. We only flew about half a dozen A-C models, but we did pretty good. We only had one drift a little too far, but Nana went for a walk to retrieve it. The rest all landed within 50 yards of the launch pad. Little man is already looking forward to the next time. :D

Just couldn't live with it any more. Cut the fin can off of Scraps
070.jpg

Cut the root at an angle so they will have some sweep. Think I'll order some BT56 (while it is still available) and put one of the nose cones I have at the homestead to use with the fin set.

The BT50 parts are right for an original size EAC Viper, just need to duck into HL and score a piece of 1/16 balsa for the fins. Conveniently they are right across the main drag from my hotel....

Started to clean out my workshop. Expect a "Matt's leaving for college" sale in the yard sale forum sometime soon.

Stopped at Hobby Lobby on my way to work tonight and purchased a piece of 3/32 balsa. Planning to cut original size EAC Viper fins from it. I know the originals were 1/16, but playing with the sim showed a minimal difference in performance for what I hope is a more durable fin. Besides all the 1/16 they had was cupped (warped in the short direction).

Went out by myself this afternoon and launched a few models. The weather/winds have been to good to pass up an opportunity to launch. Everything landed within a 50 yard distance of the launch pad, and I had a great first flight on a 1/2A RG. I didn't time it, and it probably wasn't a record-breaker, but I was quite stoked. I haven't built or flown one in over 30 years and this one boosted well and transitioned into a perfect glide.

Done with calibrations and test prints, so I'm currently about 20% of the way through printing an altimeter sled in PETG. PETG is definitely more finicky to dial in than PLA.

Done with calibrations and test prints, so I'm currently about 20% of the way through printing an altimeter sled in PETG. PETG is definitely more finicky to dial in than PLA.
Once you get your temp right though, it's fantastic to print with.

EDIT: I just finished my Eggfinder Mini. Smoke check is good!

Once you get your temp right though, it's fantastic to print with.

EDIT: I just finished my Eggfinder Mini. Smoke check is good!

Lost print to bed adhesion failure. Made it about 3h before coming loose. I am trying to print vertically, so it is a small footprint relative to length. I'll try again tonight.

Added the Eggtimer Quantum to the avbay of the 4" frenzy. Just using it to record my L2 flight - I'll upgrade to dual deploy after I cert.

Back