What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are at least three other people including myself going for L2 at October Skies. Have you taken the written test yet? You may want to contact Bruce Rohn and let him know.

And yes that would be my Level 2 Cert flight.

Ordered some E20-4 Motors(2 Pack for $13.31+$4 S&H), a Book, and a Sunward Triple 24mm to BT-80 MMT.

Last edited:
Built a quick and dirty Hummingbird with a 3" BT-20 tube. If this works I plan to build an upscale using a 7" BT-60 tube.

IMG_8156.jpg

I've been taking advantage of the gaps in the storms to paint, got 7 primed with 2 of those getting the first color coat, flat black for those 2. I also primed and sanded the BT80 based rocket intended for a 1 level attempt this weekend. Tomorrow's going to be nice and perfect to paint. Rustoleum dries fast so there's no problems there even with the 2 colors it's getting. I'll be striping it late at night but it will be done Saturday morning :) H242-10 should be a good flight :D I have a back-up rocket on a H128-10 on standby. I won't load that motor the night before, just have it with me in case ;)

Watching UPS tracking of my US Composites order. Looks like the wait ends today, so I may get to work on my Arapahoe-J tonight.

I'm painting the Critical Mass' primary color (orange). I'll paint the ailerons black tomorrow.

Given how the orange looks (Rust-Oleum Fire Orange), this will make for a perfect autumnal rocket that looks like a pumpkin, except long an pointy :) I'm almost tempted to change the name to pumpkin head.

Realized that primers are not a waste of time. In the future, I will prime my rockets. (repeat 10 times).

Finished my second Magician. My first had the catalog color scheme, but it was signed by Vern Estes at NARAM, so my wife says its grounded. Thus I decided to go a little more flamboyant on the color scheme for this one.

magicianII.jpg

Recieved my 29mm Urethane Conical NC from PML for my Crossfire 29X. It is Beautiful!

These go like stink if you mod them to take the Estes 29mm BP :) F15-8 on this one is amazing. (The Magician)

Last edited:
Pulled out a couple of "Mothballed" rockets in my fleet to see what they need to be flight ready as backups for Rocket Jamboree this weekend in case some of my scouts lose/damage theirs and still want to fly. (Or have siblings who get the bug to push the button.)

Spent a little bit of time with my thing-a-ma-jig filling and sanding balsa (I didn't paper the fins) I'm not going to have it painted in time for flying this weekend, but I have other stuff to fly.

Talked to Mike at Bay Area Rocketry to make sure I could get a light kit for Harold for the night launch. (Now I just need to pick motors.)

Are you going to fly Harold with lights at TCC's October skies or the Rocket Jamboree? That should be awesome, I'm trying to get lights for my partizon for october skies.

Loaded up on extra spray paint (Rusto 2X on sale at Menard's for 2.75), mineral spirits (tired of getting splatters on my second and third coats), some Helping Hands for finishing the soldering on my launch controller (seriously, it is a pain to solder freehand, as I discovered last night), some "crochet thread" (have to re-attach some parachutes before this weekend's launch). Primed my tiny little Estes Star Trooper - which looks terrible. I botched the surface prep pretty badly, and my first attempt at papering fins was a total farce. But it'll still fly.

Cleared Daughters Mega Der Purple Max.

Ordered some Estes Sonic ignitors for the range box and pre-ordered some AT motors - fingers crossed for LV delivery.

Integrated a shock cord mount into forward stuffer centering ring for RED ALERT night launch rocket ..want to install last so have to be careful with the order of assembly so I don't paint myself into a corner.

Called and wished Wildman a happy birthday , ran thrustcurves to see how the MEGA would do with a H400-VM , H550-ST and I500-T

Kenny

I bought some 1/8 in. elastic to repair shock cords on rockets for this weekend. (I really don't need 1/4" on an estes viking)
talked to a new scout parent about attending Rocket Jamboree. (I think he's going.)

I still need to figure out what motors I'm going to fly. (I'm taking my Ventris, "Harold - the Purple Crayon (Bank)", and maybe my Darkstar Mini (with an unpainted DD upgrade to use as bay for a night-flight-light?) I think I might try doing a few dry runs with the BRB, Yagi, and Baofeng HT I bought back in March as well. I'll practice tracking rockets down when we aren't flying them high or far enough to lose visual on them (I hope.) That reminds me I need to program my vanity callsign into the BRB.

Probably going to fly single use motors. I guess that depends on what Bay Area Rocketry has on hand.

How well did the paper hole punch work vs the leather hole punch? Neat design, but keep it slow.
The hole punch worked the best. It was a little tough going thro the fiber CR sfor the straw holes. Punched rite thru clean on the balsa too. I had to ,press,rotate,press again ,ect using the leather punch.

Fiberglassed the fins on my Arapahoe-J. My first experience with US Composites epoxy, and I'm quite pleased. Pot life was right at 25 min, just like it says, and the viscosity was just right for laminating. No more Zpoxy for me.

NICE !

Time to draw a bath and pour a glass of wine !

Good call on the kevlar strap and the proline 4500 ... do you have a 4th centering ring and motor retainer alao ?

Yes on both. AeroPack tailcone retainer. :-D

Back