What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent some time this afternoon playing with clear silicone caulk trying to seal the av-bay bulkheads wherever there was a hardware pass through in the plywood. Nasty stuff: Bad fumes, sticky, hard to manipulate, mineral spirits clean up. Next time I'm just going back to epoxy for the hardware and Tack-It for the wiring pass throughs.

Also bought some stainless steel #12 flat washers and 1/4-20 nuts at the local rocket store Lowe's. Today I learned that a #12 flat washer fits a 1/4-20 thread tighter than a nominal 1/4-20 washer.

I drilled out the static vent ports on the OSXP av-bay while I was messing with it. VernK has a nice table for determining the size of the ports at this link... Altimeter Port Sizing

Last thing I did was try to remove the molding marks on the 2.6" LOC nose cone that belongs to my OSXP project with coarse and fine Perma-Grit sanding blocks. Should have tried this before. The Perma-Grit raises the finest "hair" I've ever seen on a nose cone. The plastic primer is going to love it.

Thanks for the tip Kit, I had some of those, but forgot what they were. Much better fit.

Started to cut out a 2X RAMJET from 1/4" balsa so that the rocket is true scale. Instead of 18 small pieces to makeup the inner to outer tubes I'm running 6 full length strakes. 29mm motor mount. BT60 inner and BT80 outer tubes.

This has been sitting for a couple of years, about time I got back on it :p

edit: :p I'm sorry, I put this in the wrong place.

Last edited:
Writing my 25th TRF post to make me eligible for the Wildman Rocketry Giveaway!

Dennis

...how the heck are you painting this time of year? Hasn't the cold hit you yet?

I was doing it in the basement. I say was - got a little carried away painting a maxi alpha and fumed out the house! Almost got yelled at - well maybe I should have!

Made a Black Friday/Saturday "Need" list while waiting for the plumber to show up. Dang Frozen Pipes... :mad:

I was doing it in the basement. I say was - got a little carried away painting a maxi alpha and fumed out the house! Almost got yelled at - well maybe I should have!

Wimin have no sense of humor as far as that goes, yer lucky to be alive!

Thanks for the Bomarc pictures! I took a bunch of that rocket a few years ago. Last night I was searching for them but still couldn't find them.
I just happen to be building a Mini Bomarc right now and wanted a look.
I am just about to glue the nacelles on. Still trying to figure out how to keep them in the correct position to glue them on.
Oh, that's what I did (so far) rocket wise today.

Thanks again,

Len B

Got the strakes on for the RAMJET. They are cut from 1/4" balsa and I used CA to attach them. I got the strakes cut so close all I had to do was just lightly sand the edges, less than 5 minutes work. The photo with the outer tube are just slid on, not glued, yet.

Then I got a group photo of the 6 I'm working on now. Still working out the fin shapes for the ones not RAMJET. :)

002.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

Today I cut out a pair of altimeter sleds to fit 3" tubing and epoxy'd the launch lugs on one of the sleds. Planning ahead to make sure the sleds will fit on 2" centers so that I can eventually move up to the MissileWorks/Landru sleds.

Then I tried to epoxy the 1/4-20 all thread rods in place but sticking out of the av-bay! Fortunately I caught the mistake and had to unthread the two rods, insert them into the bulkhead the correct way, and lock everything down into place. At least with Aeropoxy the work time allows you to correct silly mistakes like this. Had I been using 5 minute BSI, I'd have been pretty upset.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better albeit rainy day.

Got my first RBG mostly Designed and a few Test Throws out in the Yard in. Still needs some structural work, but it flies.
It will basically be a "Parasitic Glider", riding a Stick Rocket with its own Streamer Recovery after Separation, and I'll stick a Keychain Camera on it so that it goes up, then takes Video of its circles and landing.
Total Cost so far, about $1.50.:)

GliderFGRBGT 019.jpg

GliderFGRBGT 020.jpg

GliderFGRBGT 022.jpg

I'm loving adding a new Aspect to the Hobby, and will likely design and build some more Gliders that are just plane Gliders, as Foamboard and Balsa are both very innexpensive.

Last edited:
Starting building the Baby Bertha. Engine mount went fine, fins took more sanding than expected, but eventually I got that done too. Attempted to seal one of the fins with CWF, only to discover that I picked up the "Max" version by mistake. A bit more like grout than a wood filler. I got it sanded off, and will attempt to paper the fins on the next go round. Then I, in my infinite wisdom, decided to see if Titebond II would make a good spiral filler as there was no way the CWF Max was going to do anything. Big mistake. Probably going to need a new body tube as the dried glue is significantly harder than the tube itself.

New shopping list:
- Bondo Spot Glazing Putty
- Smaller glue applicator
- Stir sticks for glue application
- Fishing leaders / Kevlar cord / Elastic cord

Took a walk down the street with my wireless controller and a garmin GPS. Sharon stayed in the driveway and reloaded e-matches after each test. First test at 500 ft. worked great, so I walked out to 1000 ft. and fired the second match. It went off immediately when I pressed the button so I walked out to 1500 ft. The road we live on curves around, so I lost line of sight with several houses in the way. Third test took two tries, with the second try holding the remote over my head, but it lit the e-match back home! I don't have any plans to fly an "O" motor soon, so I won't need more distance with my launch controller....

WOW! 1500ft with a wire antenna and NLOS. No more reeling cords for you Wayne, great job!

Not too much today. Had a bunch of errands to run and I was lazy after that.

Examined the all thread I epoxied into the 3" av-bay and it turned out perfectly. I'm pleased.
Discovered that the only launch lugs I have are 5/16" diameter which is swell for use as launch lugs but for av-bay sleds riding on 1/4" all thread not so much. They rattle around too much for my tastes. Looks like another LOC order coming up.

Starting building the Baby Bertha. Engine mount went fine, fins took more sanding than expected, but eventually I got that done too. Attempted to seal one of the fins with CWF, only to discover that I picked up the "Max" version by mistake. A bit more like grout than a wood filler. I got it sanded off, and will attempt to paper the fins on the next go round. Then I, in my infinite wisdom, decided to see if Titebond II would make a good spiral filler as there was no way the CWF Max was going to do anything. Big mistake. Probably going to need a new body tube as the dried glue is significantly harder than the tube itself.

New shopping list:
- Bondo Spot Glazing Putty
- Smaller glue applicator
- Stir sticks for glue application
- Fishing leaders / Kevlar cord / Elastic cord

I have a short piece of BT60 if you want. How long does it need to be? I can cut it to length. PM me.

The six I showed yesterday all have Kevlar braid except for the RAMJET and it has 1/2 inch flat strap Kevlar. I have a nice pile of basswood and balsa. A couple I have a fin shape decided on, 3 of them still kicking around ideas in my head:happydeer:

Came home too a long brown box. The 1515 rail that I ordered was in it. Yea. Now I can get it attached to the my launch tower.

IMG_20141120_071505_053.jpg

Got a Coat of Primer on my AMRAAM Build and got some Glass on my RBG Build.:)

Also, got the Nose Weight in the AMRAAM Cone and made the Bulkhead for it.
The Airframe is going to stay outside in the Shed where I sprayed it with the Primer, because it is way too cold to expect it to dry any time soon, but since I can finish up the Cone indoors, I'll actually have a flyable Rocket Sans Finishing and Decals in the next couple of days.
With any luck and Weather permitting she may fly this Weekend.:)

Last edited:
Rebuilding my Canaroc Orion 4 clone. First one was lost after a E impulse altitude record attempt.

But it did fly beautifully. Die straight and very quick with a E30 motor.

CAR 1198

Figured with how ravenous yall'r with photo requests, I would post this one, this is the "before" shot while working on the Baby Bertha. Apparently, my SD cad has some retention issues, 'cause the progress and after shots are corrupted.

20141118_174605.jpg

Had started removing damaged fixed coupler in the BLUE BY YOU rocket I flew at ROCstock XL .

After much deliberation, went with 8 inch BlueTube coupler vs 6 inch long wimpy std tube 2.6" diameter - the BlueTube is a hair loose in the tube , but the Vent band I made outta some scrap Quantum tubing wouldn't slide on the wimpy coupler -- 8 inch may allow me to make the bay redundant .

Removing the coupler cracked the bottom of the Payload airframe - so cut it to be an inch shorter. The av bay lids were the right diameter for the airframe but would not seat on the slightly smaller blue tube . Sanding block was tough to just sand the inner lips of the lids but some patience and a file made it work .

Kenny

Worked a little bit on Rockets, but today was one of those days when I had to go help other People get their things done, and that really burns me up.:mad:
Maybe tomorrow I'll be left alone to work on Rocket stuff. Fingers Crossed!

ETA: Got the AIM-120 Ready for a Test Flight. She'll get finished and Decals eventually, but this is a Rocket that in its natural state is Primer Grey anyway, so it's all good for now.
Now it's just up to the Weather and my Mood as to when we Launch on a D12-3.

AIM-120 AMRAAM 001.jpg

Last edited:
Tracked down a few outstanding rocket parts orders: One vendor hasn't shipped the order out yet (10 days) and another vendor hasn't acknowledged my order/PayPal payment (5 days).

Purchasing "mail-order" is a hit or miss thing.

Ordered a 49'ers NFL Salute to Service hat on Tuesday and it hasn't even been picked up from the warehouse yet (3 days).

Ordered a new Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H motherboard on Sunday and it was sitting on my doorstep Tuesday at 8:30AM (3 days).

Ordered a Hoover vacuum cleaner a few days ago and took delivery of it today (3 days).

Gonna start compiling I list of rocketry things I need to buy, so shopping during the black sales is efficient as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Got my parents approval and started compiling my Wildman bs propellant order!

Got my parents approval and started compiling my Wildman bs propellant order!

Lucky... I got the exact opposite. I tried to get my parents approval for a big order and they are like "matt you don't need 6 motors..."

This kinda irritates me... :(

Lucky... I got the exact opposite. I tried to get my parents approval for a big order and they are like "matt you don't need 6 motors..."

This kinda irritates me... :(

Yeah, I know what you mean. sucks. :(
This was my first HPR order with more than 2 motors in it, and I don't think they know what's gonna be coming over the next year, let alone next black Saturday :y:

Nate

Back