What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attended our clubs annual HPR Labour Day weekend launch this past weekend, and successfully got my (Canadian) level 3! :) (Also flew a couple other HPR flights and participated in a Big Bertha drag race!

My Wildman Punisher (dubbed New Horizons after the mission to Pluto) lifting off on a CTI 660J381 Skid to 4,244' for my level 3:
28858103373_bc005a3743_k.jpg

Today I finished editing and uploading the video of weekends launch to YouTube:
[video=youtube;gMPxra4ptAM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMPxra4ptAM[/video]

My Wildman Punisher (dubbed New Horizons after the mission to Pluto) lifting off on a CTI 660J381 Skid to 4,244' for my level 3:
These are feet ? So for 5000 is a level 4? Beautiful flights! Did you find all these rockets in grasses and shrubs?

These are feet ? So for 5000 is a level 4? Beautiful flights! Did you find all these rockets in grasses and shrubs?

Level is the highest certification, altitude has nothing to do with the level. The certification levels are based on the size of the motor. Most altitudes on TRF are in feet since most members are in the USA.

Level is the highest certification, altitude has nothing to do with the level. The certification levels are based on the size of the motor. Most altitudes on TRF are in feet since most members are in the USA.
As far as I know in the US have yards and miles too.But I did not know that xxx" are feet.
Personally, I prefer millimeters. Altitude of only 1 km is 1 000 000 mm :)In fact, one day the whole world will work with meters because this is the scientific unit of length :)
Which level I have? My biggest motor was 1000n.s.Flight did not get very good , thrust was progressive but the sound was a killer :)
[video=youtube;g3XT3nriCT4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3XT3nriCT4[/video]

Last edited:
Did some launching in the back yard (I live out in the country)... got a few flights in with my cosmic explorer playing around with my new AltimeterThree. Also launched my super alpha first on C6-5, then a D13-6 (drilled delay) and figured I'd shove the D24 in there. Last one more less teleported off the pad. All launches safely recovered and now bbq'ing a couple racks of ribs for dinner ...

Did some launching in the back yard (I live out in the country)... got a few flights in with my cosmic explorer playing around with my new AltimeterThree. Also launched my super alpha first on C6-5, then a D13-6 (drilled delay) and figured I'd shove the D24 in there. Last one more less teleported off the pad. All launches safely recovered and now bbq'ing a couple racks of ribs for dinner ...

Sounds like a near perfect day...

Today, I finished the paint and decal work on the rocket called Cygnus, my entry in the summer design-your-own build competition:

29482492415_cca5bf7c93_b.jpg

29402470811_3ff0d2569d_b.jpg

Showed Luis my scale V-2 and Patriot. .. he may want to attempt some sport scale himself.

Also sanded a few more spirals on 6 inch blue tube... time to mark out fin slots and start a cuttin

Kenny

More fillet and bondo work on the Polecat BBIII. It's a big relief to feel a smooth surface after sanding the Bondo - I was getting nervous about tackling the open fiberglass weave on the body tubes.

Got just about all my rocket stuff unpacked. Hope to launch this weekend. (just a few, gently. New launch site and I haven't done this in a while)
rockets.jpg

3rd coat of gloss white on a rocket many of you will recognize....

CherokeeD.jpg

A pseudo clone that I had parts from Semroc just waiting. I did make the motor mount support an E engine

Last edited:
Got a new box of goodies...err parts from Boyce Aerospace Hobbies. A 1/17.5 scale Mercury Redstone Capsule and a 1/21.8 Mercury Atlas Capsule with Missle to Capsule adapter, the Merc Atlas was a custom that Alex did for me. The MercAtlas adapter is designed to fit around a BT-80, and the Capsule shoulder fits inside the BT-80. The parts will need a little clean up but they look pretty good in the raw. Parts like the LES towers have been printed in such a way that the parts should be easy to remove from the "sprue/flash" and will have the angles pre-built in. The first picture is a comparison of the two capsules for size reference, the larger is sized for Loc 3.9 airframe (MercRedstone) and the smaller is the Merc Atlas for which the main body is a Loc 5.38 airframe. The main difference between the capsules besides size is the astronauts view port. The pictures 2-7 are the Merc Resdstone and the last 3 are the Merc Atlas. I must say I am pleased with the work and the communications from Alex and Sheree, from the time I decided to order the parts until they were in my hands was just over a week (including Labor Day weekend).

Edit: a build thread will be coming to a Scale section near you sometime in the near future. I will also be picking the minds of people like George Gassaway and others for information like proper colors and the like.

MercuryCapsules1.jpgMercuryCapsules9.jpgMercuryCapsules8.jpgMercuryCapsules7.jpgMercuryCapsules6.jpgMercuryCapsules5.jpgMercuryCapsules4.jpgMercuryCapsules3.jpgMercuryCapsules2.jpgMercuryCapsules10.jpg

Last edited:
I actually launched some rockets today at the Radical Rocketeers monthly launch. Now *that* is news.

Maidened the Diamond Cutter on a D12: lousy flight, I don't know if it hung on the rod or something but it cocked severely off the rod and then kind of waggled its way up into the air. Came back in perfect condition, will need to try it again in the future and see if I can get it straightened out.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1473554699.809059.jpg

Maidened my Odd'l Cyclone. I was really looking forward to seeing this one fly, and to my considerable surprise it shredded on the way up. I have no idea why. I really did a good job building it (and all the glue joints held). Unfortunately, without good video I'll probably never know what happened. Rest in pieces!
launch_pics - 1.jpg

Maidened my Estes Quinstar on a C6-0, and then put it up a couple of times on a D12-3. This was my most fun rocket of the day. Here's a video of the first flight; my ability to track it in flight was almost nil, but you get an idea and the audio is good. It spins really well on the way up and pretty well on the way down, always landed close by. It is a good saucer. And although I really enjoyed seeing it go up on the D12, it is fine on the C6 as well. Two big thumbs up!
[video=youtube;WrXCgFUjnoA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrXCgFUjnoA[/video]

I also brought along my trusty Solar Warrior and it once again flew like a champ on a couple of D12 flights. Eight flights into its career, it is still looks almost pristine. I wish knew what I did so right with this one!
launch_pics - 2.jpg

I am extremely relieved to get my 2016 Newton-Second tally into positive territory.

Back