What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drove over to Wapakoneta, OH to do some demonstration launches at the Neil Armstrong Air and Space Museum with other members of the Wright Stuff Rocketeers (NAR #703). It was rocket day at the museum and people would stop by to watch before or after they visited the museum. The museum hosted a build and fly in the afternoon so we helped 10 or 12 kids to launch their first rocket.

Wow! This post brought back some memories! I haven't been there since some time in the early 80's, but it was when I was a young member of the Summit City Aerospace Modelers (SCAM) in Ft. Wayne, IN.

Sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, prime... Dupli Color Filler Primer on my Mini Cowabunga. That stuff goes on like silk and sands so easily after 20 minutes. Really impressed that I can get 3 coats of primer on in an hour. Will probably shoot it with the primer sealer next and let it vape out for a week before putting on the top coat.

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg

Got three coats of paint on two rockets today. Just did the bodies. Nosecones, transitions and fins are to be different colors, so those will wait until another day.

Fillets. I need to get a bottle of Molding and Trim Glue (or what ever they call it now...) The gorilla glue I'm using is migrating down into the gap between the balsa planks and the BT. Not a bad thing, but I think I will have to run fillets several times to get a nice even fillet that eases/breaks/fairs in the angle of the joint.

Worked on a storage solution for my large rockets.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1491173617.524377.jpg

Picked up 10,481.5 Ns of AT White Lightning awesomeness :headbang: :headbang: :grin: (M1939)
Now, to paint the rocket that goes in... :eyeroll:

Oh sweet! One of my favorites!!

No build thread, but my Christmas gift from my wife - My L1 rocket a Madcow Super Batray (stretched) replacing the one the found the ground. Love the whistle of a wood fin Batray.

Marked lines - AV bay, NC.
Cut NC shoulder for tracker bay
Removed glassine layer for CR / Fins
JB weld Aeropac 38L & CR
Rocketpoxy MMT
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1491173458.920032.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1491173480.412810.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1491173496.994840.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1491173519.864361.jpg

Maybe I can finish by Midwest Blast

Oh sweet! One of my favorites!!

No build thread, but my Christmas gift from my wife - My L1 rocket a Madcow Super Batray (stretched) replacing the one the found the ground. Love the whistle of a wood fin Batray.

Marked lines - AV bay, NC.
Cut NC shoulder for tracker bay
Removed glassine layer for CR / Fins
JB weld Aeropac 38L & CR
Rocketpoxy MMT
View attachment 316283
View attachment 316284
View attachment 316285
View attachment 316286

Maybe I can finish by Midwest Blast

Nice! My girlfriend is building the same thing (not stretched) for her L1. Gonna fly at MWB as well.

Started building two Cherokee-D clones, one a clone of the original Cherokee-D and the second a downscale to BT50 for 18mm motors.

Second from the left looks very unhappy....

yea, that what happens in moving and storage.
It goes with the far left one.
It was going to be a Broadhead Arrow rocket to honor a fallen buddy.
When I cut the kink off, I got into the inner tube.
So it's just sitting in a box with no plans for it right now.

Pretty close Woody, only difference is the nose cones on mine are BNC-55AC and BNC-50AC's from Balsa Machining Service which are a bit more conical than ogive (technically they are secant-ogive iirc)

Not sure what nose cones I have on mine.
The one on the smaller one is purple, it's not painted.
I'm not sure where I even got that one.
My guess is off an ebay purchase some years ago of a bunch of nose cones.
IIRC my 18mm one is the same size as the original D, and my 24mm one is a slight upscale of that one.
I have rocsims of them if you would like them. Just pm me your email and I'll send em to ya.

Not sure what nose cones I have on mine.
The one on the smaller one is purple, it's not painted.
I'm not sure where I even got that one.
My guess is off an ebay purchase some years ago of a bunch of nose cones.
IIRC my 18mm one is the same size as the original D, and my 24mm one is a slight upscale of that one.
I have rocsims of them if you would like them. Just pm me your email and I'll send em to ya.

Thanks for the offer Woody, but I have plenty of .rkt and .ork files for the Cherokee-D, my L3 rocket was a 5.38" upscale of the Cherokee-D :)

Fillets. I need to get a bottle of Molding and Trim Glue (or what ever they call it now...) The gorilla glue I'm using is migrating down into the gap between the balsa planks and the BT. Not a bad thing, but I think I will have to run fillets several times to get a nice even fillet that eases/breaks/fairs in the angle of the joint.

Look up at my post #16475. I had to order it on Amazon. I couldn't find it at HD or Lowe's in Mobile, AL, where I live or in Houma, LA, where I work! So far, I absolutely love it for finish fillets on LPR/MPR. I still use TBII for initial fin attachment, or 30 minute epoxy where needed.

Look up at my post #16475. I had to order it on Amazon. I couldn't find it at HD or Lowe's in Mobile, AL, where I live or in Houma, LA, where I work! So far, I absolutely love it for finish fillets on LPR/MPR. I still use TBII for initial fin attachment, or 30 minute epoxy where needed.
Have never seen that before. Will keep that in mind for projects calling for wood glue! Thanks.

I would still use TBII for projects requiring wood glue, but the TB Quick & Thick is great for fillets. It doesn't shrink as much as TBII so it dries more evenly without divets, and it dries clear.

I would still use TBII for projects requiring wood glue, but the TB Quick & Thick is great for fillets. It doesn't shrink as much as TBII so it dries more evenly without divets, and it dries clear.

Do you sand you fillets?
How does this stuff sand?
I need to try this stuff....if I can find it around here.

No, I haven't tried to sand it, so I can't tell you how easy it is or isn't. I don't see a need to sand the fillets.

Do you sand you fillets?
How does this stuff sand?
I need to try this stuff....if I can find it around here.

Doesn't sand super well, You can get it of smooth out a bit, but the other materials next to do it will sand faster. I use TBIII for my fillets and then I use my finger to smooth it out or even a tongue depressor sometimes. Then I take a very lightly damp rag to clean up any excess that as spilled over too far and it cleans right up. Since it doesn't run, you don't have to worry about it getting too messy, just don't over do it so that you are taking off 3x more than you put on. I normally do 2 or 3 coats of the TBIII.

The Quick and Thick is essentially the same (or exactly the same?) as the No Run No Drip which is the same as the old Molding and Trim Glue. So this is pretty venerable filleting material; it's all I use (well, not true technically... once in a while I have an occasion to do a layer of Titebond II fillet first, and then finish with the Quick and Thick.) Usually I do two layers of the Quick and Thick to get nice fillets.

I also haven't tried sanding it but like TJ never found a need.

The Quick and Thick is essentially the same (or exactly the same?) as the No Run No Drip which is the same as the old Molding and Trim Glue. So this is pretty venerable filleting material; it's all I use (well, not true technically... once in a while I have an occasion to do a layer of Titebond II fillet first, and then finish with the Quick and Thick.) Usually I do two layers of the Quick and Thick to get nice fillets.

I also haven't tried sanding it but like TJ never found a need.

Q&T has the same part number as TMTG and NRND, so most likely its identical product new name.

Took a road trip and picked up a King Kraken while I was out....

EXCELLENT CHOICE! 👍🏻

Currently my favorite rocket in my fleet.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1491243469.794589.jpg

And to stay on topic, I got to fly with my club for the first time in over a year last Saturday. Perfect day for it too.

Back