Pem-Tech's Level 2 Build - "Certify With Us" program

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My apologies for the extended delay.
Got married two years ago, bought a house last year and am getting a crash course in Girl Scouts, gymnastics, soccer, birthday sleepovers, and lots of daddy stuff.
Dragged out the 4" Bonestell for a rocket presentation for the wife's girl scout troop. It is still nekkid and now slightly damaged but she will fly!
Wanted to fly at NSL but wasn't ready for the test and couldn't find the notes on powder charges and such.
"whatever the cost may be,
we shall fly on the beaches,
we shall fly in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fly in the hills;
we shall never surrender..."

My apologies for the extended delay.
Got married two years ago, bought a house last year and am getting a crash course in Girl Scouts, gymnastics, soccer, birthday sleepovers, and lots of daddy stuff.
Dragged out the 4" Bonestell for a rocket presentation for the wife's girl scout troop. It is still nekkid and now slightly damaged but she will fly!
Wanted to fly at NSL but wasn't ready for the test and couldn't find the notes on powder charges and such.
"whatever the cost may be,
we shall fly on the beaches,
we shall fly in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fly in the hills;
we shall never surrender..."

NICE TO HAVE YOU BACK!

I'm very, very pleased to see this thread resurrected, and progress move forward on this build.

A bit of airframe crinklage is probably not a big ginormous deal, Layne. At this stage, it would be rather easy to repair if it was, prior to launch.

You have a date yet? Still on the 3-grain J smokey?

Later!

--Coop

Egad! Tragedy has struck the Pem-Teck L2 attempt! While gleaning off the old bird, she was disassembled. The shock cords, nomex protectors and chutes were all still there. Then I popped open the E-bay. By the gods, this can't happening...... it was empty. The altimeter sled was gone, taking with it both altimeters, custom mounts, switches, the whole shabang. What a crushing moment, all fired up to finally do this after all these years and my electronics are gone! There is no way I could afford two more altimeters.
The project is dead in the water.

Layne,
I have a Perfectflite Minialt (I think...) that I don't use. You're more than welcome to it.
PM me your address and I'll send it to you. Do you need a sled too? My buddy made me some extra wood sleds. I can include one if you'd like.

Layne, if you'd like, I will gladly loan you an RRC3 to use for this attempt. I understand that I bear all the risk on this - if something goes awry in the flight and it's damaged or lost, you owe me nothing. If the flight goes well, when you get a chance, ship it back to me. :)

If you don't fancy an RRC3, I may have something else similar I'd happily loan to you.

If you'd like to borrow it, please shoot me an email (I'm not on here very often) and we'll get it on its merry way to you!

-Kevin

For those of you keeping score, there's a Llama-gram on its way to Layne.

I just hope the llamas aren't in a biting mood this year!

-Kevin

Hey @Pem Tech - curious.....did the grand event ever happen?

No, we never got to fly. Had to resign from the ADH Radioactive Materials Program back in '13, then got married, bought a house, took an industry position, left after a few months, then back with the State. With them for 6 years of daily H@ll. Left after my health had deteriorated. Started the alternative teaching certification program for HS science and math but discovered the horror of Common Core. Holy smokes, what has been done to education is a travesty. Dropped that idea like a hot tuber root and now I'm back with the State as an organic chemist at the Public Health Lab. Factor in COVID and sadly I haven't flown in years. :(
The Bonestell has been beaten, banged up, dented, crushed, folded, stapled and mutilated. Don't know if I can save her. Also, I owe you and Adrian an altimeter. As soon as I find them.
However times are good now, I enjoy my work, the girls are growing up too fast and we put in a new home for the Pem-Tech workshop. Time to release something, even if it is gas. 😁

However times are good now, I enjoy my work, the girls are growing up too fast and we put in a new home for the Pem-Tech workshop. Time to release something, even if it is gas. 😁

That last bit is the most important bit!

Rockets can wait. Enjoy your family, first. :)

-Kevin

Back