3'" Ultra Fatboy Re-build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxvelocity

Reaction score
I picked up a fiberglass 3" ultra fatboy from a member here and I believe it came from an ebay auction. I have always liked this design it is very simple and yet very different from most rockets. When I saw the price I had to have it. Since this is an older rocket and has no av bay I plan to fly it this way as my "days when I don't feel like messing with altimeters or tracking a rocket for hours" rocket. I think 1 and 2 grain 54 mm should work great. The rocket is built like a tank but needed some work. I wanted to see what I was working with so I sanded all the paint off. This was quite a task. The orange finish was a very nice and thick automotive type paint job. It had a purple pearl and would have looked really good when it was first completed. The primer under the paint was also very thick then there was a thin purple paintjob and finally another coat of thinner primer. Two hours of mouse sanding and I was down to mostly bare tube. I used a metal cutting, cut off wheel on a grinder to cut the broken fin nub off then used the mouse sander to get the fin/fillet flush with the tube. Next I used the grinder to remove the fin root from the slot. The fillets appeared to be cracking but after cutting them out I found the fillets were fine but there was a cosmetic bondo layer over the structural that was cracking. Either way I will re do the fillets and I ground out all the fillets. Next, this ol' skool girl had ACME aluminum 3/8" lugs so i used the grinder to cut into the aluminum until they got really hot then pulled them right off with vice grips. I will use rail buttons. I originally figured the fins to be 1/8" G10 but they are actually 3/32" (the extremely thick paint fooled me) I found that I don't have any 3/32" on hand so I will first see if any local club members have any they can sell me Saturday at the launch then it will be on to mcmaster. Once I get this stock I will cut a new fin and get going with fillets.fin slot.jpgfatboy.jpg

I still wonder who originally built it, but its in good hands now. What is the plan for the paint job?

Not sure yet. Im thinking some bright neons. I think something will come to me between now and the time its ready for paint.

I hae always liked short fat rockets. This one is a little more sleek.

So I finally got around to ordering a sheet of 3/32" G10 from McMaster. It is here and I will hopefully get around to cutting a fin out and getting on with the project this weekend.

I totally forgot about this lol! What motor you planning on flying it on?

Should be a cool flight, and im sure you wont need to add anymore nose weight.

No, definitely no more nose weight. Im just going to fix the fin new fillets and paint. Everything else eill fly as is

Back