Motor Testing At MIT

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAC of MMMSClub

Reaction score
Hi All,

Had to edit out any motor ID but here are some photos of test of some new offerings soon to be available. Is that vague enough??:lol:

P1060008.jpg
Bob K, manning the scales.

P1060009.jpg
Kenn B., Prepping the motors.
P1060011.jpg
Burn
P1060016.jpg
Ejection pop!
P1060017.jpg
Bill S. Braving the smoke. Deep in the under belly of the building!

Before anybody asks, we can't tell you who made the motors, what type they are, what size they are, what the propellant is or if they were submitted for certification. If they were and if they passed you'll know soon enough. Enjoy the pictures.

Not exactly. :confused:

It's more like the motley crew of NAR S&T East were busy conducting confidential motor certification testing of an unspecified number of motors for an unspecified motor manufacturer in a secure underground bunker at MIT today. :cool:

A clandestine S&T hit squad has been activated and is on 90 minute standby to conduct an operation in Southern Maine to eliminate the probable source of leaks and mop up any evidence should a leak occur. An event, should it occur, will not be the result of a hobby rocket motor CATO, and will not exceed Magnitude 4.0 on the Richter scale. :dark:

Have a good nite Scott. :kill:

Bob

Motors? What engines? I don't see any thrust generators.
Move along; there's plenty of other things to see on campus. :drool:
Yes, this does mean I enjoyed the pizza at the student union. :point:
It has nothing to do with the women students staying over the break, probably. :no:

Was the test session today? I missed those days going to MIT and helping out. I was actually in the area last week but was not feeling well on that Sunday, but if I remember correctly that session was postponed?

Was the test session today? I missed those days going to MIT and helping out. I was actually in the area last week but was not feeling well on that Sunday, but if I remember correctly that session was postponed?

Correct.

I hope you guys remembered to turn the fan on this time.

I'm building a secret rocket for those secret motors to test in a secret launch area in a secret southern part of a secret state, which shall be nameless, because it's a secret.

I hope you guys remembered to turn the fan on this time.

For what good it does, the fan was on. The picture of BillS that SAC posted just missed Bill having his sweatshirt up over his nose a la Mort from the Bazooka Joe comics. I went in to recover the last motor fired with a handkerchief over my nose and mouth and it wasn't enough. An open field is one place for smoke but a slowly vented blast chamber is quite another. :bang:

I'm building a secret rocket for those secret motors to test in a secret launch area in a secret southern part of a secret state, which shall be nameless, because it's a secret.
Dan, you have to learn to be more open about things; keeping things bottled up is only good for drinks and even they have to be opened to be any good. :cheers:

Last edited:
I see enough hints in the photos to take an educated guess, but I will not do so on the public forum.

Gonna need to allocate more cash for motor purchases in the (hopefully) near future!

I see enough hints in the photos to take an educated guess, but I will not do so on the public forum.

Gonna need to allocate more cash for motor purchases in the (hopefully) near future!

Our "plain brown wrapper" ploy worked; we didn't even have to paint red herrings on them. :wink:

Fred, honestly (and hypothetically), when aren't we all allocating more money for more motors?

Good policy, though, not making any guesses, educated or ortherwise, in this public forum.

Last edited:
Not exactly. :confused:

It's more like the motley crew of NAR S&T East were busy conducting confidential motor certification testing of an unspecified number of motors for an unspecified motor manufacturer in a secure underground bunker at MIT today. :cool:

A clandestine S&T hit squad has been activated and is on 90 minute standby to conduct an operation in Southern Maine to eliminate the probable source of leaks and mop up any evidence should a leak occur. An event, should it occur, will not be the result of a hobby rocket motor CATO, and will not exceed Magnitude 4.0 on the Richter scale. :dark:

Have a good nite Scott. :kill:

Bob

Bob,

That was very clever of you to have your team disguised as a group of "Girl Scouts" selling cookies, I have never seen a sash used as a weapon to take out a guard dog like that. luckily the plastic pellets in the AP mine under the doormat doesn't affect the flavor of the coconut carmel cookies. The driver of the cleverly low key minivan would have escaped, if she has not left the vehicle to try evac the wounded, but she tripped into a punji pit.
Just Kidding:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:OH! Lighten UP!

I see you use him as the Disposable Bill, just like we do at SLI!

No respect, eh, Bill, no respect? :)

-Kevin

Ha, Ha, Its not like they were burning depleted uranium as propellant. MIT has a lack of every PPE.

As RSO of MMMSC when im not cooking hot dogs(or when I can get Guy to do a much better job than I) . I will have to put together a PPE kit for motor testing.

Lung/Hearing I have on hand.

Last edited:
I see you use him as the Disposable Bill, just like we do at SLI!

No respect, eh, Bill, no respect? :)

-Kevin

They take advantage of the skills I've developed over the years. The other guys sit back, write numbers and push buttons. I run through the smoke to grab the hot motors because I am a steely eyed missile man.

Ha, Ha, Its not like they were burning depleted uranium as propellant. MIT has a lack of every PPE.

As RSO of MMMSC when im not cooking hot dogs(or when I can get Guy to do a much better job than I) . I will have to put together a PPE kit for motor testing.

Lung/Hearing I have on hand.

Okay, what's a PPE?

They take advantage of the skills I've developed over the years. The other guys sit back, write numbers and push buttons. I run through the smoke to grab the hot motors because I am a steely eyed missile man.

Bill, that's twice in one month you've tried to convince the world of your "steely" eyeness (the other was when you were one-upped by a little girl who launched at the Post End of the World Launch at MMMSC). Let's face facts; your steely eyes are only a little rusty as you wear your corrective lenses all the time and the real reason we send you in there is your steely hands - no heat pain receptors. :hot:

Bill, that's twice in one month you've tried to convince the world of your "steely" eyeness (the other was when you were one-upped by a little girl who launched at the Post End of the World Launch at MMMSC). Let's face facts; your steely eyes are only a little rusty as you wear your corrective lenses all the time and the real reason we send you in there is your steely hands - no heat pain receptors. :hot:

I wasn't at the MMMSC launch because of a lack of missile manliness. I had to work in the morning, take my employees out to launch at noon and then go home and have a fine meal with the family for my wife's birthday. A lesser man couldn't have eaten as much.

I'm trying to create a legend by referring to myself as a steely eyed missile man. So far it isn't working.

Based on a TARC photo from a few years ago, I count you as a steely eyed missile man.

I don't remember the photo but if it was taken at the TARC finals you're mistaking fatigue for steely eyedness. Not that what I do there could be considered physically taxing but getting up before the sun does is.

Based on a TARC photo from a few years ago, I count you as a steely eyed missile man.

I don't remember the photo but if it was taken at the TARC finals you're mistaking fatigue for steely eyedness. Not that what I do there could be considered physically taxing but getting up before the sun does is.

Bill, I know we don't give you many opportunities to practice, but when someone compliments you, just say "Thank you" and move along.
This has been an Emily Post post.

I did note the impressive flame on the test.

Was the testing crew, uh, "satisfied" with the results?

Greg

I did note the impressive flame on the test.

Was the testing crew, uh, "satisfied" with the results?

Greg

MIT has a really good burger w/ bacon and swiss (according to my daughter) but that is all I can say.

Personally, I do under stand wanting to have all your ducks in a row and not having egg on ones face when offering up a any product, in any market. So do not draw any inferences from some candids.

Casual Observations:
1) I thot underground testing had been banned...LOL!
2) I'm disappointed some wizard on campus did not do an air exchange flow rate model for the lab. Yes-that is a lot of particulate to dump in a short period, but after all it IS Magicians In Training.
3) Great name for a new vibrant colour=Red Herring! Love that name for a new rocket build. Somehow "Kippered Snack Food" doesn't sound as fun.
Thx for the post-we always need new motors!

Bill, I know we don't give you many opportunities to practice, but when someone compliments you, just say "Thank you" and move along.
This has been an Emily Post post.

What do you mean? The three most often heard words at a CMASS launch are "Nice try, Bill." That's a compliment, isn't it?

The building is built (or looks to be built) to take a direct hit from hell, BUT I think this lab chamber has well... I don't know! been screwed.

1. Venting, enough motor/fan to suck it clear in seconds
2. Make up air you cant take what aint there so clean air has got to come in from somewhere

You know; "What do you need real world testing for?" "Just computer simulate it!"

Latest posts

Back