[GPS Tracking] Garmin Astro DC30 (Dog Tracking System)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not put them in av bay with a garmin. I have used and adept 22 separated by 3 feet from a garmin.

Ummmm, The person who had the 12 inch diameter 16 foot tall project I mentioned above that went in ballistic, built a new one with new Adept 22's. Thought he could get away with 30 inches of "separation". I did some serious arm twisting for him to test the setup with bare ematches. By the way he initially responded, I thought he was going to ignore the recommendation but I misjudged him. He tested and found that after a short period of time the altimeters locked up, shutdown and failed to function. Got different electronics for the flight.

I hope it always works for you Chuck but myself, I'd be nervous unless the electronics were shielded from the Garmin like in Konshaks article or pass an extended test. If you have the dog tracker in the nosecone that might be all you need. If it can flop around on the shockcord I'd still be nervous.

I will make mention that the EggTimer deployment altimeter uses opto-isolation of the deloyment channels and likely would be a good match for high powered trackers. The maker has the device that has the deployment computer and the tracker on the same board, the TRS, that works fine.

I've been burned twice in the past before I wised-up. Test first then fly. Kurt

Echoing cwbullet's comments... I have three DC40 currently in service with Perfectflight Stratologger 100 and Highalt45s no problems. Used with 3" and 4" RW, MC, and WM kits. DC40 are in FGW nosecone separate from ebay. Closest separation would be ~22 inches. No problems in three+ years.

No problems with Eggfinders and Stratologger either.

Back