Unbuilt rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My downfall was when I got back into the hobby. There was so much more around than when I was a kid and then I started finding all of the stuff I wanted as a kid but could not afford on ebay. I lost my mind, such as it was, for a while.

700? Really? How do you hide them from your wife? Are they mostly the LPR?

I added up the ones being hoarded.... er, um, I mean collected, by the previous posters in this thread...... close to 1000. :surprised:
No wonder I cant find any old kits!

I'm actually grateful to the hoarders. They have been my best resource for finding OOP kits. C'mon guys...you know that you want to sell me your sounding rockets!

Cheers,
Michael

Semroc
Aerobee 150
Aerobee 300
Arcon Hi
Constellation
IQSY Tomahawk
Iris
Laser-X
Orion
Sam-3
SLS Aero-Dart (primed)
Starfire
Texas Firefly (primed)
ThunderStrike (primed)
WAC Corporal (under construction)
Black Widow
Bandit
Thunder Strike
Tau Zero
VF-261
Javelin
Sprite

Estes
Alpha (2)
Drifter
Silver Comet
Condor ARV
QCC Explorer
Comanche 3
Black Brandt

FlisKits
Journeyman

...and parts for 3 scratch.

Hmmm, in the box-

Arreaux
Der Red Max (and stuff for booster stage)
Taurus
Navaho (to replace the C6 skywriting performance of the sustainer in my original)
Harpoon
Cobalt (which is really just parts to replace the fake booster in the Harpoon with a real one)
Magnum Sport Loader
Two Penetrators I got for friends of my kid to build

On the bench-

Pegasus (really a rebuild)
Two scratch builts - same design, with minor differences (performance vs durability)
One scale Otomat Melaras - well, really it's a big box of parts - to say it's "in process" is pretty generous

As of right now I have NONE in the package - two in progress - both waiting on paint. Now if you count the tub of body tubes,motor-mounts,nose cones and fin stock, etc......................................

well.... about 2 dozen or so in the package, 1 (scratch 2" THOR) in progress, probably a dozen, maybe more that are built and unflown (most of them are nekkid as well), and 2 that need repair.
If tomorrow is as pretty as today was, I might get a couple of first launches in, we'll see.....

Unfinished

Dr. Zooch Mercury Atlas
Dr. Zooch Space Shuttle
Dynastar Lexx Jet
Fliskits Tartar (needs primer & paint)
Apogee SR-72
Papa Tango Decals 3.9" Mars Lander

13 still in the package

7 in various stages of completion, one just started to one that just needs decals.

I hope to add to the the still in the package next month. :)

TA

Built but never flown? Since I build all the time there are always going to be a few. Roughly a dozen right now. Most of these are on hold until I get to a large enough field or a high power launch.

I added up the ones being hoarded.... er, um, I mean collected, by the previous posters in this thread...... close to 1000. :surprised:
No wonder I cant find any old kits!
Don't count mine. I don't have a hoard, just a backlog. All of them are kits that are currently in production and with one or two exceptions there are no duplicates in the pile.

I have a kit backlog because I have been focusing on scratch-building clones for the past few years. The kits will be built.

I'm in pretty good, shape, actually.

in packages: 7 (1 or 2 of those are being considered for inclusion in the TRF rocketry box pass)
in progress: 4 (2 of those are the LPR krakens I'm helping my boys build)
needs paint: 1 (I built a MIRV a couple of weeks ago... not totally happy with the fin alignment. Trying to decide if I need to fix it)
built but not flown: 4 (one is the King Kraken for my Lvl 1 cert flight next month.)

That's what we all say. :grin:
Well I have built more than 150 rockets in the past eight years. I have finished nearly all of my current list of scratch-building projects, and I am itching to get at the kits. Soooo....... yeah, I think that I'll make a serious dent on the kit inventory once I move into that phase, especially since kits are quicker and easier to build.

Hey, when I boxed up my rockets and gear and hung up my microclips right after high school, I wasn't saying goodbye to the hobby. It was, "I'm putting you aside for a little while because I have too much else on my plate at the moment. But sit tight, because I'll be back." I never forgot about that and I always knew that I would start it back up again. And after an interval that felt like just several months (but was actually, if the calendar is to be believed, 33 years) I did. I always end up following through with my plans, even when I doubt it myself at times.

Paging Scott Branche. Paging Mr. Scott Branche...

I'd mention how many kits I still have in the package but then Scott would post pictures of his collection which would make my collection seem insignificant. :wink:

Speaking of Scott Branche, that reminds me that I also have an unopened Fake Wulf kit that I'm saving for the day that my rocket building skills reach a level worthy of it.

View attachment 105100

That is one sweet boost glider.

I've got about 5 in package, none in progress and none built but unflown....but I do have 3 that need repair. I'd better get to work!

I have none in the package, but my fiberglass Little John is in the shop right now. I have no money to continue with that (yet), so I started designing my level 2 ship...

Hmmm...
Phoenix
Silver Comet
Canadian Arrow
Spaceship One
CC Express
Patriot Missle
Baby Bertha
Big Bertha
Outlander
Magician(will become a Cherokee D)
Quest Courier
Semroc SLS Laser X
maybe a couple more in plastic.

Leviathan on bench waiting for time to free up to finish...shouldn't take much.
LOTS of painting that needs to be done, including primer.

Piranha on the way
edit: add a Rubicon, Big Daddy, Fat Boy to that build pile.

Last edited:
WAY,, WAYYY,,, WWWWWAAAAYYYYYYY too many,, 5 large HP rockets, and added 5 more so far this weekend (and Wildman sale coming up in 40 min or so) plus probably 100 or more low powered stuff, I have a bunch of spools sitting here waiting to become rockets, and a few scratch projects floating around in my head. Then there is the "special" rockets that may never be built, Estes Goonys, SaturnVs, and Maxibrute Ho-Jo's

0. Nada. Zip. None. :(

And I have no builds in progress... I'm going into withdrawal.

I'm going to order 2 kits from wild man on Saturday.
And I'm waiting for the release of Proline Rocketry V2 for my next "Big" project. That's due to come out in January.

"Black" Sale Updates.

Built / Not Flown: 1 (BH-29 / set to fly 12/1/12)

Unbuilt: 0

Ordered: 3
Madcow 2.6" Fiberglass AGM-33 Pike
Wildman Mini Eagle Claw
Wild Man 3" Black Darkstar Ltd Production

Planned: Proline Rocketry 8" V2 (waiting for kit to be released)

Is it sad I had to actually go look around the shop to make this list?

Unbuilt: 6 total: Semroc mini optima, Parts for 2 full size Optima clones are sitting in a box, I have 2 BlueTube parts packs from LOC that are as of yet unbuilt, and I just ordered a RW Lil' Rascal SE.

In the process of being built: 2 Not bad here, Just a BlueTube Parts pack from LOC that awaiting Fillets and final assembly of the AV bay, and a LOC Vulcanite awaiting sanding of the fillets and building the AV bay.

Waiting for paint: 6. Most primed but need color, Estes Mean Machine, Pheonix, Mega Mosquito, Guardian, Space Shuttle, and my 4" dual 29mm Quick and Dirty.

It's really not as bad as I imagined, and certainly not as bad as the wife claims :) My "to be repaired" pile has been growing for years.... I really need to dig into that some day. Not an excessive amount, but several are going to take some creative engineering.

I would guess between three and four dozen unbuilt, and as many as two dozen "in progress."

Many of the unbuilts are parts collections I've put together, as opposed to commercial kits.

Unbuilt LPR kits, maybe 350, mostly from the 1980's. Lots of Centuri from when we were progressively buying everything Earle's Hobby in LA still had. A couple of dozen more modern ones that I'm trying to build. MPR/HPR, none.

Built LPR models hanging around - maybe 50-75. MPR+, just 3.

Competition models MIA/KIA - hundreds...I've no idea how many. My comp box is near empty, have to build all new for NARAM-55.

I only scratch build, but I have parts for two high power rockets and two high power rockets in the construction process. I could probably scratch build a few more with the parts I have around.

Back