Food handeling practices

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our dairy gets audited by the Army twice per year (it always amazes me that the Veterenary staff performs food safety audits, at least at this particular base).

You are correct. Washing your hands with soap and water rids them of coliform bacteria. Purel may or may not work depending on the bacteria.

As for Vets, they do most food safety in the US. The UDA is mostly from the Vet side of medicine.

The Army uses both Preventive Medicine and Vets as foot and water safety officers, but this is not unique to the Military.

snip... I take it and walk off to another isle, look around real quick and dump it off on a shelf next to some canned goods and go get a can of Vienna sausages instead. Some people, I tell ya.
Really? Why not tell her you no longer want the meat and why you don't want it (she might actually learn something). Stashing it in another part of the store is just plain wrong. It's a loss to the store and someone will eventually have to deal with it. Good job. "Some people, I tell ya."

Germs? Get real. I subcribe to the George Carlin theory of germs:

Where did this sudden fear of germs come from in this country? Have you noticed this? The media constantly running stories about all the latest infections? Salmonella, E-coli, hanta virus, bird flu, and Americans will panic easily so everybody's running around scrubbing this and spraying that and overcooking their food and repeatedly washing their hands, trying to avoid all contact with germs. It's ridiculous and it goes to ridiculous lengths.

In prisons, before they give you lethal injection, they swab your arm with ALCOHOL. Wouldn't want some guy to go to hell AND be sick.Fear of germs, why these f----n' p------s. You can't even get a decent hamburger anymore they cook the s--t out of everything now 'cause everyone's afraid of FOOD POISONING! Hey, wheres you sense of adventure? Take a f---n' chance will you? Hey you know how many people die of food poisoning in this country? Nine thousand, thats all, its a minor risk.

Take a f----n' chance bunch of g-------n p-----s.Besides, what d'ya think you have an immune system for? It's for killing germs! But it needs practice, it needs germs to practice on. So if you kill all the germs around you, and live a completely sterile life, then when germs do come along, you're not gonna be prepared. And never mind ordinary germs, what are you gonna do when some super virus comes along that turns your vital organs into liquid ****?! I'll tell you what your gonna do ... you're gonna get sick. You're gonna die and your gonna deserve it because you're f-----g weak and you got a f-----n' weak immune system!

Let me tell you a true story about immunization ok. When I was a little boy in New York city in the nineteen-forties, we swam in the Hudson river. And it was filled with raw sewage! OK? We swam in raw sewage, you know, to cool off. And at that time the big fear was polio. Thousands of kids died from polio every year. But you know something? In my neighborhood no one ever got polio. No one! EVER! You know why? Cause WE SWAM IN RAW SEWAGE! It strengthened our immune system, the polio never had a prayer. We were tempered in raw s--t!

So personally I never take any precautions against germs. I don't shy away from people who sneeze and cough. I don't wipe off the telephone, I don't cover the toilet seat, and if I drop food on the floor I pick it up and eat it!Even if I'm at side walk cafe! IN CALCUTTA! THE POOR SECTION! ON NEW YEARS MORNING DURING A SOCCER RIOT! And you know something? In spite of all the so called "risky behavior ".... I never get infections. I don't get em. I don't get colds, I don't get flu, I don't get headaches, I don't get upset stomach, And you know why? Cause I got a good strong immune system! And it gets a lot of practice!

My immune system is equipped with the biological equivalent of fully automatic military assault rifles, with night vision and laser scopes. And we have recently acquired phosphorous grenades, cluster bombs and anti personnel fragmentation mines.

So, when my white blood cells are on patrol reconnoitering my blood stream seeking out strangers and other undesirables, and if they see any, ANY, suspicious looking germs of any kind, THEY DON'T. F--K. AROUND. They whip out the weapons, they wax the motherf----r and deposit the unlucky fellow directly into my colon! Into my colon. There's no nonsense! There's no miranda warning, there's none of that three strikes and your out bulls--t. First defense, BAM! Into the colon you go!

-- George Carlin

Last edited:
Here Here I concur with George completely!

As a Camper, Bass'er & Outdoorsman for decades, I know for a fact Germ-a-phobia so rampant in the country today is weakening our immune systems horribly! Hand sanitizers and all the surface disinfactants are Killing more people then any germ induced ailment.

God made dirt and dirt (and the germs it contains) don't hurt. A few "Trail Seasonings" are a great fun way to spice up a bland trail cooked dish.

OK! processed, bottle milk needs to be kept cold, a given. But the OP'er of this thread was not only DEAD Wrong shelving the chicken piece, but very wasteful as well. If squeemish, should have told the lady to keep it rather then completely wasting the food by effectively throwing it away without paying for it, costing the store money. Many in other parts of the world would have eaten that Chicken if she'd spit in the bag.

Last edited:
I'm not that big of a geraphobic, but when someone I do'nt know well enugh to stick my toung in her face is getting that close with my chow, and she aint that good lookin, I get a little grossed out. Not real keen on someone coughing on thier hans and handeling my foodn either. I trust my own germs that I incubate in my sink at home but am concerned about compatability issues with someone elses especialy if thiers are more robust. Yes, there is truth yo gaining an imunity or resistance to microbes, my dad was a doctor and was almost never sick, he said it is because you build a resistance to illneses. Now Foamy, be careful with those Cadmium colors.

I once walked into one of the few remaining traditional butcher shops to get a simple snack (a local type of sausage in a bread roll). The customer before me got some raw liver. After the butcher cut the liver, he wiped his hands "clean" on his apron an prepared my snack. I'm neither into raw meat nor into liver, but I figured it won't kill me, so I ate my snack, albeit with reduced appetite. I haven't been to this store ever since.

Reinhard

snip...Now Foamy, be careful with those Cadmium colors.
Ah, no worries. I only do paint brushes after they've been cleaned to keep a good point on 'em. Saliva is good at that.

Really? Why not tell her you no longer want the meat and why you don't want it (she might actually learn something). Stashing it in another part of the store is just plain wrong. It's a loss to the store and someone will eventually have to deal with it. Good job. "Some people, I tell ya."

While I agree, just stashing it somewhere else was kind of gross, the real question is, so what? Because the actual fact of the matter is that it was a loss to the store when the woman stuck her face and her germs, rather real or precieved, in the food. If he would have simply declined to take it, it most probably would have been dumped back in the case for some other unsuspecting person to buy and eat, which is even grossier than his just stashing it somewhere.

I'm not that big of a geraphobic, but when someone I do'nt know well enugh to stick my toung in her face is getting that close with my chow, and she aint that good lookin, I get a little grossed out. Not real keen on someone coughing on thier hans and handeling my foodn either. I trust my own germs that I incubate in my sink at home but am concerned about compatability issues with someone elses especialy if thiers are more robust. Yes, there is truth yo gaining an imunity or resistance to microbes, my dad was a doctor and was almost never sick, he said it is because you build a resistance to illneses. Now Foamy, be careful with those Cadmium colors.

So if she was hot it wouldn't have bothered you? I didn't know ugly people had more germs.

Next time you go to a salad bar, notice where the handles of the serving utensils are in relation to the food (probably right on top of the food), then think about all the people with filthy hands who handled them before you.

While I agree, just stashing it somewhere else was kind of gross, the real question is, so what? Because the actual fact of the matter is that it was a loss to the store when the woman stuck her face and her germs, rather real or precieved, in the food. If he would have simply declined to take it, it most probably would have been dumped back in the case for some other unsuspecting person to buy and eat, which is even grossier than his just stashing it somewhere.
The "real" question is "so what?" How could I be so misguided? That's good to know. I can cease to wonder why this civilization and people's lack of manners, etiquette and propriety are going down the tubes so quickly. That's a big clue on the road to enlightenment.

So, he was grossed-out by her actions and the right thing to do was to throw the meat on some random shelf. So what. I'm with the program now. You've convinced me.

Last edited:
Better to dump it on a shelf than to take a dump in an obscure corner like a dog getting back at you.

Back