BlackHawk 29 Dual Deploy Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next, I want to shorten the Rocket. But how much to shorten? Stock part lengths as follows:
* Body Tube: 31-3/4"
* Payload Bay: 10-7/8"
* Nose Cone (shoulder to tip w/o coupler length): 6-1/4"
---------------------------
* Total length: 48-7/8"

The payload bay I'm leaving as is. It will lose ~ 2" for av bay enchroachment, 2 " for 9V battery compartment, and 1.25" for NC shoulder,... so it's fairly tight as it is.

I want to keep the ability to fly any 29mm motor. I currently have 1, 2, 3, and 6-Gr 29mm cases (3-Gr and 6-Gr shown in photo)... but I want to be able to fit a 6XL which is 1.75" longer than a std 6-Gr case. In the stock config,... that will leave approx 15.25 inches of payload room in the main body with a 6XL case.

I'm going to shorten the main body 6".

BH-012.jpg

BH-013.jpg

BH-014.jpg

The next decision is the Av Bay.

The kit comes with a 4" length (actually 3-7/8") of CF coupler. Figure I'll loose another 1/8" with endplate caps... so I'm down to 3-3/4. I have blue coupler tube to use instead if I want a longer Av Bay.

Since this is my first Av Bay,... and it's 29mm I'm planning on mounting the Adept 22 (2.8") and the Mag Switch (0.55") in line. Min length... 3.35" (3-3/8). his means I get room for 1/8" space between the endplates / electronics... too tight for my first go.

I'm going to use a 6" section of Blue Coupler Tube. On this I will mount a 1" section of BT to create a "centering" body section / Switch Band. This will get the vent holes.

The next decision is the Av Bay...

I'm going to use a 6" section of Blue Coupler Tube. On this I will mount a 1" section of BT to create a "centering" body section / Switch Band. This will get the vent holes.

Coupler tube cut and sanded square.

BH-016.jpg

Modifications complete.

Total length w/o NC now just shy of 37.5" (was 42.625" stock). Net shortening ~ 5". LOA with NC now just shy of 43.75".

BH-021.jpg

Looking good! This thing is a blast to fly, it gets up and out reeeaaaaalllly quick. Do you have a tower to launch it out of?

Av Bay Sled. 1/16 Ply.
All-Thread Rod. 6-32 cut to 7".
Aluminum Tube to serve as sled rail to pass over one of the all-thread rods.

BH-022.jpg

BH-023.jpg

1/2" long "Thrust Ring" to secure the fwd end of the 9V battery / define Battery Bay. The 1" section was cut to provide sides for the Battery Bay Bulkhead.

BH-024.jpg

Making of AV Bay Bulkheads / Battery Bay Bulkheads.

(2) centering rings to fit in the ends Av Bay coupler; ~ 15/16"
(2) Av-Bay Endplates to cover the ends of the Av bay; ~ 1-1/8"
(1) Battery Bay Bulkhead; ~ 1-1/8"

Without a fancy presicion hole cutter, I made these old school. Entire process took 30 minute.

Stock: 3/32" ply

Step 1: Mark wood with circle template. Mark center holes.
Step 2: Drill 1/16" center holes.
Step 3: Rough Cut with hand electric jig saw.
Step 4: Embed 1/16" drill bit into scrap piece of wood to create pivot point for sanding.
Step 5: Sand round with disk sander (not shown,... use fingers to hold downward pressure, and slowly rotate disks. Take a small amount of material off each revolution).

BH-025.jpg

BH-026.jpg

BH-027.jpg

BH-028.jpg

BH-029.jpg

Last edited:
Results...

Pic 1: The two sections that will become the Av Bay End Plates.
Pic 2: The components that will become the Battery Bay Thrust Ring / End Plate with Sides.

BH-030.jpg

BH031.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good! This thing is a blast to fly, it gets up and out reeeaaaaalllly quick. Do you have a tower to launch it out of?

Thank you!

With regards to the Launch Tower... Unfortunately No. :(

She'll be getting buttons. :blush:

Last edited:
Av Bay End Plates assembled. The 2 plates were glued with 5 min epoxy. Then drilled for the 5/16" Stainless Eyebolts. This rocket is so light,... I'm not concerned about forged / welded eyebolts.

BH-032.jpg

BH-033.jpg

BH-034.jpg

Av Bay Schematic.

I'm including remote attachment points for deployment charges to avoid excessive wear / tear on the Adept Unit.

BH-035.jpg

Fillets.
Surfaces were previously scuffed with 40 grit prior to tacking on the fins.
Fillet margins masked.
High temp ProLine Epoxy provided with the kit. Sets in approx 30-40 minutes. More than enough time to do all the fillets at once.

BH-036.jpg

BH-037.jpg

BH-038.jpg

BH-039.jpg

Mask removed once epoxy begins to set. Then placed in storage closet with space heater to cure.

BH-040.jpg

BH-041.jpg

BH-042.jpg

Last edited:
My other project for the weekend... Halloween Costume.

My boys never want easy costumes. This year Micah wanted to be a Jelly Fish. I think it came out pretty good. I have some of those glow stick necklaces to fasten under the Jelly's Bell to add a bit of effect.

Micah loves it. Nothing better than making your kids smile!

BH-043.jpg

Vent Holes in Av Bay and Payload Bay. 3 each 7/64" evenly spaced. Vent holes in main body will wait for epoxy to fully cure.

BH-044.jpg

Nose Cone prepped. Seam sanded. I decided to scuff the entire cone in prep for clear coat.

The shoulder needed heavy sanding to fit. Fits nicely now.

BH-045.jpg

BH-046.jpg

Fillets cured.
Body Tube vent holes drilled (3).
Rail Button pilot holes drilled.

Current weight (unrigged)... a ridiculous 9.5 ounces. Weight includes the empty Av bay coupler section ( no sled / altimeter / and no endplates/althread/eyebolts).

BH-047.jpg

Well I started dry fitting the altimeter and sled in the coupler,... modifications required before I start! The sled sits too high in the av bay, resulting in interference.

The Adept 22 fits on its own with a bit of room to spare,... so I think it can be done with the BT coupler I have prepared (But I think the wall thickness of the BT coupler is making things challenging).

Must admit, I saw this coming... recall my opening post...

... I have never utilized electronic deploy / dual deploy so that will be the big learning exercise for this build for me. I have a suspicion I'll regret the tight confines of a 29mm AV bay as a first attempt,... but after this everything else will seem easier!...

Currently I'm modifying the sled to get a bit of room... Beveling the edge to buy 1/64-1/32"... creating a cutout in the sled to eliminate the need for a standoff... Reinforcing the underside of the sled with the allthread cover tube and (2) 3/32" hardwood stringers. We'll see...

Pics after the glue sets!

It almost scary how fast you build...

The builds go quick,... finishing is always slow. Doesn't hurt that I typically get up around 4 am. That gives me 3 uninterupted hours to do whatever I want...

Very nice! I'm watching your av bay build with interest, I just cheated and use the Raven 29mm av bay in mine ;)

Very nice! I'm watching your av bay build with interest, I just cheated and use the Raven 29mm av bay in mine ;)

Thank you.

I considered the Raven / av bay... but I like to have each rocket as a stand alone entity,... therefore the altimeter is staying with the rocket. start buying ravens, av bays, power perches for several rockets and soon you get into real money. Beyond that,... if it's stuck in a tree,... it's nice to be able to walk away without any add'l agony.

Thank you.

I considered the Raven / av bay... but I like to have each rocket as a stand alone entity,... therefore the altimeter is staying with the rocket. start buying ravens, av bays, power perches for several rockets and soon you get into real money. Beyond that,... if it's stuck in a tree,... it's nice to be able to walk away without any add'l agony.

Yeah, I just have one raven and one each of 29 and 38mm av bay that gets switched between rockets as needed. Also, chain saws :D

Basic Av Bay layout complete with major components fitting. It's tight but it goes together!

End Nuts need to be aligned properly to slip in the Body Tubes,... but thats just the difference of 30 degrees in nut turn.

I am going to cover the aluminum carrier tubes with electrical tape... prob not necessary,... but an easy step.

I ordered the mag switch friday... got a "it's shipped" e-mail over the weekend. Should come late this week.

I'd like to use brass machine screws for electrical connectors,... but need to find #2's.

Then it'll get wired up.

BH-057.jpg

BH-058.jpg

BH-059.jpg

BH-060.jpg

BH-061.jpg

My other project for the weekend... Halloween Costume.

My boys never want easy costumes. This year Micah wanted to be a Jelly Fish. I think it came out pretty good. I have some of those glow stick necklaces to fasten under the Jelly's Bell to add a bit of effect.

Micah loves it. Nothing better than making your kids smile!

How cute!

Back