IQSY Tomahawk in the house!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can do that or call me Barry, I answer to both! :lol: Just look for the gimpy fat guy with a camouflage cane and slightly bewildered look on his face.

Flew it today, and how! I was going to fly it on an AT SU E motor but my wife's uncle loaned me his 29/40-120 hardware and donated a motor. Can't remember what it was but it got to 3,000 feet or so at apogee. Fortunately the wind was light and what little there was carried it back to the launch area. I estimate 2 minutes for it to come down. We had some Boy Scouts watching and two of them took off at a dead run to retrieve it, maybe 150 yards from the pads.

This is a great rocket and I look forward to many more spectacular flights! Highly recommended!

Last edited:
So, I'm guessing this was at a research launch? Congtrats on the successful flight BTW.

Alex

Got there around 10:45 or 11:00 or so due to a late start. I was in a red T-shirt and gray sweats, floppy hat, cane and slightly (or not-so-slightly) bewildered look. Flew my Big Bertha, V2 (with multi-part recovery due to a too-short shock cord and broken nose cone loop) and the Tomahawk. I was sitting right in front of the Winnebago most of the time.

Last edited:
Sweet!! Thanks, Jeff! Was that an awesome flight or what? Seeing it shoot off the rod trailing smoke and thinking "holy crap that's fast!" then that "holy crap that's way up there!" moment just prior to ejection followed by the "holy crap that's gonna be a long recovery walk..." moment just after ejection - thank God for Boy Scouts full of boundless energy! :lol:

Last edited:
Jeff, on behalf of all of us flyers who are focused on seeing our birds fly, and not losing them on the way down, thanks for taking pics like these. It seems there are always folks at launches that help capture flights, and for those of us without cameras or someone to take pics or video, it's always a treat when someone say's "here you go... I got pics for you."

All of the great pics of my flights have been by someone else, better than I could have ever done even if I had the right equipment.

Just noticed that if you look carefully you can see a dragonfly perched on the end of the rod in the first pic and just off the end of the rod in the second - not sure if he flew off on his own or got displaced forcefully! That rocket left the rod so fast it wouldn't surprise me either way!

Jeff, on behalf of all of us flyers who are focused on seeing our birds fly, and not losing them on the way down, thanks for taking pics like these.

Its just another aspect of the hobby. I always beg someone to press the button for me so I can take pictures. :grin:

Back