Ejection Charge Size in Estes A, B, and C Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenstarr

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly or approximately the weight in grams of the ejection charge used in Estes and/or Quest motors? If you are wondering, I need to know for electronic deployment in an 18mm minimum diameter carbon fiber rocket.

kenstarr said:
...for electronic deployment in an 18mm minimum diameter carbon fiber rocket.

Ok, now you really got me wondering...

Did you roll your own carbon fiber, or where did you find the tube?

I made a Black Hawk 13 a while ago, but...well...it just looks like CF

004.jpgBaffle 007.jpgBaffle 008.jpgBaffle 010.jpg

And, yes, it flies great! Got a bit of a 'wiggle' now, because some of the CF decal is peeling up on the (airfoiled) fins, and CA doesn't stick...:(

Tell us more! Got any pics? I'd really like to see what you've got.

Wow! I've actually got plans for a Blackhawk 18, 13, and 5 (or whatever micromax is). Oddly enough, in my original inquiry, I was not thinking about a Blackhawk, just a high altitude attempt for a contest next year and and wanted to use a C6-0 instead of something that had a built in delay charge. I'll be starting a build thread soon. Only part I have done is make the CF tube using Soller Composites sleeve. It's heavier than estes tube by a wee bit so I am going to make another using some lighter sleeve. No way I would try to roll some CF on a mandrel that small!
And for my original inquiry, thanks for the information!

OK here is a tube I made. Nicer quality than the first but instead of 18.1mm, it's about 19mm and therefore unsuitable for my intended application. The mandrel was made from drill rod and built up to size (incorrect size here) with parchment paper.
CF tube.jpg
Regarding the finish, I just wet sanded working up to 2000 grit and gave it a rub with some vegetable oil because it was handy.
So do I put the build thread in Low Power because it is low power. Or do I put it in High Power because It's all composite and will use an altimeter??? Or I could put the thread in scratch built.....
Ken

Last edited:
That's a nice tube!

You should be able to put 3 card stock shims, about 1/4" wide and 2" long, inside the airframe to make the difference. Just find some stock that is 0.45mm thick, and you're set.

Greg

Unsuitable? Yes, I see.

I will PM you my address, you can send me the tube, and I will dispose of it properly.:lol:

No, seriously, that looks awesome. What type of epoxy are you using?

I just checked the Soller Composites site, I'm guessing this is the 'biaxial' sleeve?

Im sorry, I'm hacking your thread....:blush:

I was recently wondering how much BP to use in a 12" long piece of bt60...turns out not much, an online calculator (rocket reviews) said that I would need a whopping 0.2g to get 15 psi :).
rex

Unsuitable? Yes, I see.

I will PM you my address, you can send me the tube, and I will dispose of it properly.:lol:

No, seriously, that looks awesome. What type of epoxy are you using?

I just checked the Soller Composites site, I'm guessing this is the 'biaxial' sleeve?

Im sorry, I'm hacking your thread....:blush:

OK, you pay postage. Tube weighs mere grams but the box will eat all the cost. either way, it won't be much. I'm serious! PM me and it's yours.

Back