If you could only do ONE, would you BUILD, or FLY?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Build, or fly?

• Build

• Fly

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rocketbuilder

Reaction score
First off, I know this another one of those silly questions about what one would do in a situation that will never arise, but I thought it would be fun to see what you all said anyways.
So, if you could only build rockets which would never fly (no cheating and having somebody else fly it for you), or fly rockets that were built by someone whom you would never have any contact with (so that you could have no influence whatsoever on the construction), which would you do? There is no third option-- except for not voting at all, of course.
I already know what some of you will say, but I have no idea what the majority is.
Should be interesting!

You must build first to be able to fly--therefore building is paramount---like fishing--catching a fish makes a good day better, but you have to go first!

First off, I know this another one of those silly questions about what one would do in a situation that will never arise, but I thought it would be fun to see what you all said anyways.
So, if you could only build rockets which would never fly (no cheating and having somebody else fly it for you), or fly rockets that were built by someone whom you would never have any contact with (so that you could have no influence whatsoever on the construction), which would you do? There is no third option-- except for not voting at all, of course.
I already know what some of you will say, but I have no idea what the majority is.
Should be interesting!

As you can see, I selected "Build" but I want to comment on my selection. I do not build shelf queens. Everything I build *IS* flown and I don't consider a new project completed until it has flown. However, if I have to choose which of the 2 activities brings me the most enjoyment, it is definitely the building. There is something about using my hands to create something, that relaxes me. I suspect it is because my work as an Information Architect is so abstract and cerebral, that doing something that is tactile is such a change of pace.

I love to build, but if I couldn't fly I can't see the point of building. I would hate to see rocketry go the way of R/C aircraft; it's almost impossible to even find a kit anymore. RTF and ARTF is the new normal.

Everything I build gets flown - eventually :)

I would build actually.
I sometimes find myself just building things with no intention of ever flying them. These are my "I'm bored" rockets. They are usually for the sole purpose of gaining experience or trying out some new technique. Most of them are built with parts I already have so I dont waste any money. That's why I'm jealous when I see rocketeers with their houses just overflowing with unused parts.
Sometimes, If I really like the rocket I will fly them. A good example was the "STUB". I built it because I was bored. I took a liking to the little guy so I ended up flying it on an H178DM.
So yeah, I love building.

I wouldnt like to fly rockets. If they arnt mine it's just like watching any other launch. There's no rush of excitement and adrenaline.

Alex

As you can see, I selected "Build" but I want to comment on my selection. I do not build shelf queens. Everything I build *IS* flown and I don't consider a new project completed until it has flown. However, if I have to choose which of the 2 activities brings me the most enjoyment, it is definitely the building. There is something about using my hands to create something, that relaxes me. I suspect it is because my work as an Information Architect is so abstract and cerebral, that doing something that is tactile is such a change of pace.

Could'nt have said it better. Hang out on the deck over the pool and build --or inside looking at the pool and build--takin my time and enjoying the moment---or--fighting wind-burn bans-the law-rain-- on and on just to get one up---did I mention the drive--All mine go up--but at my lessure---

I went with "fly". My thought was that as a flyer, similar to a race car driver or test pilot, I would be able to give feedback to help with future improvements on the rocket. Its not that I don't enjoy the build, because I do enjoy the challenges there as well. I don't enjoy the sanding or the painting aspect so much. I think that is based on that I am somewhat mechanically inclined but I am defitinetly artistically challenged.

I would "Build" a "Fly". :eyeroll:

357_monarchflyboxart.JPG

I'm a builder. I love to design a rocket for flying even though I rarely get to fly them. Eventually I do get that opportunity and they will get their day. Building a rocket not designed to fly.....I did that once, but it looked cool. I did fly it once and it sucked at flying.

There's a guy over at YORF that builds for people that just want to fly and can't build a rocket. I did think that was a bit unusual. Apparently he makes pretty good cash for it. To me that sounds like process work. I'd get no satisfaction from that because it's like being on a production line. This is my hobby and I like keeping what I build and flying it when I can.

Bottom line, I don't usually build anything I don't intend to fly.

I was just wondering...

I wonder if the majority of the "builders" fall into the LPR/MPR spectrum and if the majority of the "flyers" fall into the MPR/HPR spectrum

Well I voted before reading the thread, I thought this was going a different direction but I would have to say build. I build ALOT more than I get to fly. You can build every day, but you can't fly every day. You need some thing to fill the gap.

All the more reason for you to have as much of your fleet as you can at the Freedom Launch!:bangpan:

There are few that haven't been flown. All that haven't will be with me at Freedom Launch. Some of what I'm bringing have been flown but they're getting motor upgrades. :horse:

I love building things so it's an easy choice for me. Of course I also love flying what I build, but the building relaxes me and gives me a sense of accomplishment that I really enjoy.

Like many here, one without the other seems kinda pointless. I really have no interest in flying something I didn't build, and a huge part of the design/build phase fun is intending for it to fly.

That said, the vast majority of the time I spend "with rockets" is in the design/build phase. Actual time spent flying is a tiny portion of the overall. Even though I really like to fly, I LOVE designing/building/tweaking/etc. and this is by far the most interesting and most enjoyable part of it.

If I HAD to choose just one (and I'm glad I don't), no question it would be building.

s6

If I couldn't do one I wouldn't do the other. I'd probably get a lot more sack time.

dddoooesss nnott commpute...hard wiring failure to adrenaline gland, nerve damage to pleasure center....ocular input refuses to stabilize, shorts reported in the 'rush' gene...genes reported in the shorts, Danger! Will Robinson, Danger! Will Robinson....

(Hmmm...if the guy building them gave me the motors....uh, but then....*faulty logic loop-circuit disabled* please see instruction manual, do not return to maker-no user servicable parts inside

+1 for building.

I was actually thinking about this the last few days before I saw this post. If all we could do was fly prebuilt rockets on commercial engines I wouldn't have any interest in the hobby. For me, the primary enjoyment comes from creating something. Flying is validation, but not necessary. I could enjoy building any one part and buying the rest; airframe, motors, electronics, recovery. But, the more components I build myself the more enjoyable it is.

I love to build, but if I couldn't fly I can't see the point of building. I would hate to see rocketry go the way of R/C aircraft; it's almost impossible to even find a kit anymore. RTF and ARTF is the new normal.

I have built/flown fewer than a half dozen kit/ARF RC aircraft but literally dozens of scratch builds. The scratch built ones, besides being more enjoyable to build, almost always fly better, get flown more, and are kept longer. On RC Groups I spent 80 percent of my time in the Scratch Built Foamy section and the rest in scale building, decals, electronics, etc. Personally, the ARFS just have no draw. I think that is why I never got into helicopters. The multirotors are attractive but I'm not ready yet for the committment.

If seen some things Fly that looked like they were built in the dark wearing gloves...Iv'e also seen some flawless builds that somehow they forgot to install the stability...."I don't always Fly but when i do..I use a launch system"....

I have to agree with what appears to be the general consensus - BUILD - "If you build it - it will fly - eventually" I use model building as a way to relax and escape the insanity that comes with my business. I do artwork all day, but in the evening I like to do something a little bit different and model building fits the bill. It's still a creative endeavor, but doesn't have the pressure. As for flying - I don't get the opportunity to do it as often as I would like and my business hours limit the days when I can get out and do it. Of course it doesn't help that somebody bought the horse farm down the road from me and now I can't use those lovely open paddocks as a launch site anymore - darn horses:lol:

FLY.

I like to fly a lot more than the building. If I could press a button and my models would become "built", I'd rather do that.

Also, I like to design. THat's the only aspect of "building" that I like. Vast majority of what I fly is stuff I designed, and is scratchbuilt. though sometimes they might be designs by others, that often I'll tweak or modify in some ways So this is why ARF's or RTF's are not an option.

I do get enjoyment out of flying models I designed (when they work right). And I d have an appreciation for a the looks of say a scale model that turned out well. "Hey, wow, I built that...."

But, I still don't like the process of building them. It's evil.

Uh, I mean, building them is a necessary evil.

Can't fly 'em if you don't build them. Well, not the ones I usually want to fly, anyway.

- George Gassaway

Build, the answer in my case must be build. I have numerous kits lined up, and a dozen or so waiting for paint. I have several with paint & decals which have not flown. Just don't seem to get out to fly anymore.

Back