Icarus - Scratch Built

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orion14ed

Reaction score
I was thinking of a name... and I like Icarus... Well, here is the basic design.
scan0005.jpg (Had to outline it in purple for it to show up on the scan.)

I have never built a tube-fin rocket, and I really want to. So I designed this bad boy. It has 6 BT-60 tube fins, mounted on a BT-80 body tube, with 2 BT-50s mounted on the other sides. I am not sure at all if it would be stable, and I am open to how long each tube should be.

I was thinking...
29mm motor mount
6 4.5 inch BT-60 body tubes
2 6 inch BT-50 body tubes
12 - 20" BT-80 body tube

Any ideas? Open to any, I like the fin layout though. I do not know how to design a rocket like this in a sim... so if anyone would like to, that would be awesome! Thanks!

With that much effective fin surface if your fins are at least as long as their diameters and the rocket isn't too stubby (go with 20" length) I don't think stability will be an issue.

Last edited:
Aww, I was hoping that it was a diagram of a cluster of something like a 98mm, six 75mm, and two 38mm motors in pods... Usually you see all identical pods.

I know rocksim can do tube fins... But that's expensive.

I'd just do the good-old spin test. That's what I do with my tube fin designs (and why I haven't made a HPR one yet)

I like the idea of not using all the same tube for the fins. Definetly out of the ordinary.

Clusters are next on my agenda, in fact... I but I could modify this when finished to house some motor mounts. May have to take that into consideration when deciding the lengths.

EDIT:
Is that possible? I get some motor mounts for some BT-60 body tubes, and after a few flights without them, I glue them in and put a nose cone on top of the once was tube fin? I think it may work, but I am not sure. Stability :\

I also want my fins to look a like this... View attachment 92649but the cut not nearly as deep. How could I do that for the 6 BT-60 tubes? It would look very very awesome with a lime green and black paint job... sorta like that.

Did a rendering in blender. I couldnt make the notches like on that... but here is the basic idea. I like the green and black ^_^Icarus.JPG Its not nearly as bright in that image as it is on my screen. lol

Last edited:
Back