Building the Estes Saturn V

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like that cutting map you have! Where can a guy but one like that?

Hello. I bought it in Wal-Mart for $4 dollars!!. It is a really good cutting mat.

OK guys, I finished with black paint. Now I am going with the silver and then the decals. It was very difficult to get sharp and straight lines but I will fix them with bottle paint. Here are some photos!!.

Any suggestions are welcomed.
(P.S: After applying the decals I want to spray a clear glosscoat (or Dullcoat) Can you recommend me a good glosscoat brand?)
IMG_1470.jpg IMG_1472.jpg

Very nice! I built mine over the winter and was thinking the same as you, what to use for clear. However I painted mine with rustolium painters touch 2x and thought of using the same brand for clear. Once the decals where on I decided to not clear it incase it would wrinkle the paint, which has happened to me before on other rockets. I'm not flying mine, just having it for display. I know there are postings of using Future floor polish as a clear but not sure if it would leave runs on the wraps.

Ken
Sent from my iPhone

Here is what I did today. I painted the fins silver. It was very easy to mask this part and all went very well.

I need to do some touch-ups yet but, can anyone help me with the decals? I don't want to spoil them.

Thanks!!!
IMG_0932.jpg IMG_0933.jpg

Ignore the photos below. The ones above are the correct ones.

Attachments

• IMG_1470.jpg
    IMG_1470.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1472.jpg
    IMG_1472.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Looks great ,very nice work !! I just finished mine last year but just don`t have the heart to fly it ,so it`s on display in my rocket shop.I do however have another ,that I will build and fly on clusters instead of just one central 24mm motor.

I know from doing various Sat. Vs ,that the paint/roll patterns can be pretty tough ,seems like you got it licked !

I am looking to buy one more and do a modification to it.Just hope they are still on the market for awhile longer.

OH....I also want the BIG one from Sirius Rocketry ,that`s a real beauty ,it will go nicely with my Apogee Saturn V :wink:

Yessir.....I like Saturn Vs

Take care and good job !!

Paul t

Looks great ,very nice work !! I just finished mine last year but just don`t have the heart to fly it ,so it`s on display in my rocket shop.I do however have another ,that I will build and fly on clusters instead of just one central 24mm motor.

I know from doing various Sat. Vs ,that the paint/roll patterns can be pretty tough ,seems like you got it licked !

I am looking to buy one more and do a modification to it.Just hope they are still on the market for awhile longer.

OH....I also want the BIG one from Sirius Rocketry ,that`s a real beauty ,it will go nicely with my Apogee Saturn V :wink:

Yessir.....I like Saturn Vs

Take care and good job !!

Paul t

I built mine with a five motor cluster and man it flies like a dream. I overbuilt mine so it is pretty heavy but it still gets up there on one central D12 and four C6's. One of these days I am gonna shove an F in the center along with the outboard c's and see what happens.

I did all of the mods myself but Commonwealth carries a cluster upgrade kit that looks pretty good.

Here is what I did today. I painted the fins silver. It was very easy to mask this part and all went very well.

I need to do some touch-ups yet but, can anyone help me with the decals? I don't want to spoil them.

Read up on Chris Michielssen's blog. He discusses locating templates and oddities with the decals:
Start at estes-saturn-v-build-part-63-decals and progress through the next few days' entries

I built mine with a five motor cluster and man it flies like a dream. I overbuilt mine so it is pretty heavy but it still gets up there on one central D12 and four C6's. One of these days I am gonna shove an F in the center along with the outboard c's and see what happens.

I did all of the mods myself but Commonwealth carries a cluster upgrade kit that looks pretty good.

I was thinking 5 x 18mm ,but I do like 4x18mm and 24 core much better !!

Paul T

I was thinking 5 x 18mm ,but I do like 4x18mm and 24 core much better !!

Paul T

Only thing I didn't like with the 24mm center motor was I could only get four of the nozzles on instead of all five but it still looks correct enough on the pad for me.

OK. Today I began by fixing any imperfection in the tubes. I sanded the top and rear edges of the tubes and then applied a thin coat of CA for extra protection.

I am only 16 years old and this is the 9th rocket I build. Please any suggestions (as the ones you gave me above) are welcomed.

View attachment 86101View attachment 86102

Gl to a rocketier like you i am doing the same stuff , its all about the patience

Back