[V0.8]Featherweight Interface Program for Mac (official)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will work with VMWare Fusion on my MacBook Pro, but it acts a little unstable. Not fun to work with and if we lose the fun we lose our hobby. I will be selling my 250G acc Raven this spring. I'm done messing with it. I just bought a TeleMega.

Would you consider releasing the interface specs for the Raven (if not open source the FIP software itself) and let the community invest in developing, supporting and extending the software?

This. I just ordered a featherweight and two av-bays. The old featherweight forum indicate the altimeter software is open sourced but I can't find it. I would be happy enough working through a terminal session. The less I have to fired up VM-ware the better but I don't need a GUI.

So, it seems pretty stable using WinXP under VMWare. mikec said he had reverse engineered the text file format. Is that love shared anywhere?

mikec said he had reverse engineered the text file format.
The text file used to be produced by FIP but I'm not sure if it even is any more.

Flavors of the old Parrot flight code and some prototype FIPs were floating around (see the Featherweight forum), but neither the current FIP nor the Raven flight code are.

What's known:

The char mapping and multiplier that FIP currently has is:

X=Axial Accel (Gs),0.01
Y=Lateral Accel (Gs),0.01
T=Temperature (F),0.01
b=Volts Battery (V),0.001
a=Volts Pyro Apogee (V),0.001
m=Volts Pyro Main (V),0.001
3=Volts Pyro 3rd (V),0.001
4=Volts Pyro 4th (V),0.001
C=Current Draw (A),0.001
P=Baro (Atm),0.00004

A=[Altitude (Baro-Ft-AGL)],1.0
V=[Velocity (Accel-Ft/Sec)],0.1

sampling rates:

440 Hz: X axial acceleration * 100

220 Hz: Y radial acceleration * 100

40 Hz: C output current

20 Hz: everything else

Thank you posting what you have.

The current FIP, downloaded as of yesterday, exported both a binary FIP file and a formatted text file at the same time. I will compare what you posted with the current data.

I will report back unless Adrian asks me not to. I suspect this is one of the unintended areas covered by the DCMA.

Sorry for my lack of recent rocketry development but I'm starting to get some time to work on a java interface replacement for FIP (windows only). Initially this will be Raven only... maybe I'll try to get it working for the previous Parrot but that will be priority based (no guarantees but I myself still own some Parrots...).

I'll likely start a new thread as this old one was tied to trying to use WINE on Mac which didn't work well with the USB interface (if I recall the history correctly)...

My current version supports download only and graphics - no zoom and I need to add the time scale printout (!). I have tested it some on Windows, Mac and Linux. I see some oddities but will try to resolve them...

So, is there interest out there?

Sorry for my lack of recent rocketry development but I'm starting to get some time to work on a java interface replacement for FIP (windows only). Initially this will be Raven only... maybe I'll try to get it working for the previous Parrot but that will be priority based (no guarantees but I myself still own some Parrots...).

I'll likely start a new thread as this old one was tied to trying to use WINE on Mac which didn't work well with the USB interface (if I recall the history correctly)...

My current version supports download only and graphics - no zoom and I need to add the time scale printout (!). I have tested it some on Windows, Mac and Linux. I see some oddities but will try to resolve them...

So, is there interest out there?
Sure! I have macs and Ravens and that would help.

The text file used to be produced by FIP but I'm not sure if it even is any more.

Flavors of the old Parrot flight code and some prototype FIPs were floating around (see the Featherweight forum), but neither the current FIP nor the Raven flight code are.

What's known:

The char mapping and multiplier that FIP currently has is:

X=Axial Accel (Gs),0.01
Y=Lateral Accel (Gs),0.01
T=Temperature (F),0.01
b=Volts Battery (V),0.001
a=Volts Pyro Apogee (V),0.001
m=Volts Pyro Main (V),0.001
3=Volts Pyro 3rd (V),0.001
4=Volts Pyro 4th (V),0.001
C=Current Draw (A),0.001
P=Baro (Atm),0.00004

A=[Altitude (Baro-Ft-AGL)],1.0
V=[Velocity (Accel-Ft/Sec)],0.1

sampling rates:

440 Hz: X axial acceleration * 100

220 Hz: Y radial acceleration * 100

40 Hz: C output current

20 Hz: everything else

Not seen the code on the featherweight forum, been mucking around in excel using via code mostly for fun. Think you'll find the sampling rates are 400 for X and 200 for Y perhaps older models had those faster rates?
There is also a F which has the flight event registers. There are t (small) entires that are to do with sampling rates I believe. There is also a v (small), no idea on this one. The current FIP version can extract csv files in 2 formats - normal and flat file as well as providing the raw data. There's also a once off O line that I beleive is produced when the Raven detects the launch. Altitude is calculated it is not stored in the log.

I sent a message to the few that replied first - as well as a past user with good inputs - and will work with them for an alpha build via email to get it usable / tested on more than just my machine...

/kjs

Hi Kevin

How goes the progress on this update. I would be very happy to work with you on this project.

Cheers

Noel

As I see the last post in 2016, any update to FIP for Mac? Tried to open the zip - wineskin and get an ERROR! cannot write to Info.plist, there are permission problems, or you are on a read-only volume.

This cannot run from within a read-only dmg file.

Back