CTI Cesaroni Technology

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I could tell you. Rocket landed in a tree about 20 yards north of the field. Overcompensated for wind just ever so slightly. :bang:

The weight was 16.2 lbs. RockSim put it at 6588'.
Before the Mad Dog, I flew a WM Mini Eagle Claw on a CTI G54 LB. RS was 2863, altimeter read 2913'. Same conditions, so I'd say 6600 is probably pretty close to what I got.

Chainsaw?

It may come to that.

I think I saw that flight actually. I was recovering my punisher all day (it landed in the trees right behind the flight line). Next time I'm there, point it out, I'll climb to try and get it.

I think I saw that flight actually. I was recovering my punisher all day (it landed in the trees right behind the flight line). Next time I'm there, point it out, I'll climb to try and get it.

I know exactly where it is. It is in the bog/stream area to the north of the field, right next to a yellow and black V2. I tied a couple of pieces of orange streamer tape with my name, MMMSC, and phone # on it so I can find it easily or if someone sees it they know who it belongs to.

I actually went up last weekend to use the polesaw and ladder they had. The rocket was originally draped across the branches of three trees. I worked for two hours and managed to free it from the two trees on either side of it but now it is lying over the branches of the central tree, each side hanging down about equally and at least 30' up. Neither side is close enough to the ground to be able to pull the rest out, and as it is DD, you have the main on one branch, the nose cone on another, the payload on a third and then the body is hanging down from a fourth branch. Long story short, it's in there and it's in there good. I seriously don't see a way of retrieving it without cutting down the tree. It's a maple, about 8" diameter, so you're not shaking anything out. The branches don't start until about 25', so you're not climbing up there. There is a steep bank almost as soon as you get off the sod. Hauling just a ladder down and back up in 90% humidity was a b***h. Even if I had a cherry picker, which I don't, I don't think you can get to that area – it is pretty much a peat bog. I think that area technically belongs to the town, but I don't want to jeopardize our relationship with the turf farm by just hacking down trees every time a rocket lands in one. I'm going to talk to Scott about it. I'm can't make it up there until after labor day, so there's no big hurry to do anything.

If your pole saw is long enough , duct tape a road flare to the end of it. Then all you have to do is cut the cord and the booster will come down. the other pieces may then fall down or blow out of the tree.

If your pole saw is long enough , duct tape a road flare to the end of it. Then all you have to do is cut the cord and the booster will come down. the other pieces may then fall down or blow out of the tree.

Nice try, "3 stooges rocketry". Next you'll be telling me to poke the rocket in the eyes.

if you think I'm pulling your shock cord , sorry. I've used this method for not only removing rockets from a tree , but as long as it is voltage , I have also recovered one off a power line.

Eric

if you think I'm pulling your shock cord , sorry. I've used this method for not only removing rockets from a tree , but as long as it is voltage , I have also recovered one off a power line.

Eric

Isn't that a violation of NAR to retrieve rockets from power lines?

There were a number of CATOs of the K1440 Pro54 6G motor in a drag race at Rocstock 41 at Lucerne in June (2 out of 9 at least, maybe more?) Anyone heard anything about K1440 issues? I've got a reload I bought from Wildman last Black Saturday with two dates on the tube: June 26 2014 and Nov 10 2014. Not sure what the significance of two dates is.

I have 100% success with 3 of them. All different time frames (2 months ago, 1.5 years ago and 2.5 years ago)

I've had the double date code issue with CTI motors from another vendor. In our case, it was for a TARC team. But it's interesting in that you've had the same problem from another vendor. Seems with all the motor regulations that there would be some sort of regulation to have one date printed on the tube.

But it's interesting in that you've had the same problem from another vendor. Seems with all the motor regulations that there would be some sort of regulation to have one date printed on the tube.
I'm not sure it's a problem, IIRC they had a liner issue at one point and this reload could have had the liner replaced and the date updated. But only Jeroen knows for sure.

Y'know, I was thinking that it would be cool if CTI came out with some C-Star reloads for the Pro24 6G and pro29 6GXL cases.

Last edited:
Y'know, I was thinking that it would be cool if CTI came out with some C-Star reloads for the Pro24/29 6GXL cases.

I believe it was explained why they don't (for 38mm at least) earlier in the thread, although I can't find it right now.

BTW, I'm curious what is the highest altitude that can be achieved by a N5800.

Last edited:
He didn't really answer the question about <38mm. I think the closure can't handle the thrust in the 38 and anything smaller is too difficult to have a star shaped core plus a c-slot or the difference is negligible in terms of additional thrust.

I believe that was the answer I received. But c-star doesn't use a star shaped core. It's round like most other grains. C-star uses a stepped core which I believe means each grain has a smaller diameter core than the one below it.

All right, I found it. It says that the liner for 38 mm and under is too weak to accommodate C-star reloads.

I believe that was the answer I received. But c-star doesn't use a star shaped core. It's round like most other grains. C-star uses a stepped core which I believe means each grain has a smaller diameter core than the one below it.

BTW, I don't think the N5800 uses this configuration. Pics of the grains show that the cores are the exact same. Jeroen mentioned in another thread that C* reloads (or the N5800) didn't have to use this configuration anymore. IDK why, though.

View attachment 272393

I'll probably get shot for asking such a stupid question but, assuming the core and the nozzle is the same size in the donor reloads, what is the likelihood of a successful launch if red, green and blue grains are mixed in a single reload? I.e a RGB reload?

IDK, but this post said that the CTI pink reloads are actually a mix of blue and red grains.

The other day I was wondering why the pink reloads are only available in 5grains (except for the 24mm size).

Today I answered my own question:
That's the top grain in a 54mm pink:
View attachment 186667

And that's the bottom grain:
View attachment 186668

So my guess is that there is some bluestreak grains and some red lightning grains. Correct?

Latest posts

Back