CTI Cesaroni Technology

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll probably get shot for asking such a stupid question but, assuming the core and the nozzle is the same size in the donor reloads, what is the likelihood of a successful launch if red, green and blue grains are mixed in a single reload? I.e a RGB reload?

I wouldn't do it (unless you want to void warranty on your hardware, and flying at an EX launch), but I don't think there would be much of a problem. You probably won't get the effect you want though.

Jeroen,

Would you be so kind as to provide the exact ID and OD of the CTI 4" nose cone? I want to cross reference and see what tubing manufactures match that cone.

Thank you sir

Jeroen, Would you be so kind as to provide the exact ID and OD of the CTI 4" nose cone? I want to cross reference and see what tubing manufactures match that cone. Thank you sir

4.025" OD and 3.903" ID (to fit a coupler). Coupler length inside cone is 3.16".

Jeroen

Jeroen, I was wondering why there are no C* reloads for 38 mm and under. Is it because the liner is too weak or is it because the fwd closure is too weak?

Jeroen, I was wondering why there are no C* reloads for 38 mm and under. Is it because the liner is too weak or is it because the fwd closure is too weak?

Unfortunately the plastic liner will not stand up to C* propellant.

Jeroen

Oh.

If you make it thicker, then would it be able to stand up to C* propellant?

I helped a friend of mine assemble a CTI M1300 Dual thrust motor at AIRFest and he never got to fly it. Any idea how long it is ok to store it before launching it? Any storage tips etc. I would hate to see this motor go to waste.

I think there was another thread that might have answered your questions, although I can't find it right now. I'm pretty sure it said something about large CTI motors sitting out in the open for a year or so, then being flown without any problems.

BTW, I think you should start a new thread on this problem. It'll probably get answers more quickly there.

Last edited:
I think a nice addition would be a 75mm 6GXL Mellow that would be available before Airfest in 2016.

I have a question on tracking smoke. Another manufacturer mentions tracking smoke and has CTI considered this in larger motors especially where one might use a spacer - inserting a smoke grain instead? I love to see a rocket belching smoke on the way down and site does make it easier to spot even with a tracker.

Thanks I'm considering this for a future launch

I have a question on tracking smoke. Another manufacturer mentions tracking smoke and has CTI considered this in larger motors especially where one might use a spacer - inserting a smoke grain instead? I love to see a rocket belching smoke on the way down and site does make it easier to spot even with a tracker.

AFAIK, CTI does have tracking smoke for all their motors.

I think something coloured would better.

When removing delay, BP or both I've replaced them with a cast slury unmade of a coloured tracking smoke.

Can't miss orange or red across the sky.

I think something coloured would better.

When removing delay, BP or both I've replaced them with a cast slury unmade of a coloured tracking smoke.

Can't miss orange or red across the sky.

I think that's a great idea. But Jeroen once told me why they don't do that, it leads to inconsistencies in the time the delay grain burns. But if you remove motor eject and have the know how, by all means it does help with tracking.

Pyropete, Pmed you

T34 or Jeroen - I'm willing to dump the delay grain, have redundant Apogee eject and use that upper grain for smoke - does CTI sell or willing to sell market such a grain?

While we're talking about wish lists, what are the restrictions on green loads? It looks like the only green loads are 5 or 6 grain motors. I'm guessing there is a reason for this?

Well, since we're talking about wish lists here…..;)

24 mm

6G C* load

6GXL Imax and maybe, if Jeroen found a way to include C* propellant in smaller cases, a C* load too. And maybe throw in some Blue streak and white thunder loads as well.

29 mm

C* load for the 2 grain case.

C* and IMax load for the 6GXL case.

38 mm

C* for the 1 grain and 6GXL case and White thunder for the 6GXL case.

54 mm

C*, White thunder, and White longburn for the 6GXL case.

75 mm

C*, white thunder, and mellow loads for the 6GXL case.

98 mm

C* load for the 4 grain case

White thunder load for the 6GXL case.

If you make it thicker, then would it be able to stand up to C* propellant?

It remains a plastic liner. So, without an additional other liner that is not really possible. How about the Imax propellant? That is very similar in performance. There is also a problem with the agglomeration of aluminum in these smaller motors which takes away most of the performance gain.

I helped a friend of mine assemble a CTI M1300 Dual thrust motor at AIRFest and he never got to fly it. Any idea how long it is ok to store it before launching it? Any storage tips etc. I would hate to see this motor go to waste.

If you can bag it with some desiccant it will be fine - provided it is stored between 10F and 90F.

An additional smoke grain adds propellant to the motor and would affect the certification status. Also, large amounts of smoke grain like a full size grain will probably also require case temperature testing by CAR/TMT/S&T because case temperatures will go up significantly with increasing amounts of tracking smoke. NFPA 1125 limits the maximum temperature a motor casing can reach.

Jeroen , what are the odd's of getting a c-star load and a Imax load in the 98-2 grain case? Eric

Great suggestion. I'm not sure if the Imax would have enough initial thrust to be a very practical motor. C* is worth looking at. Do you have a particular application in mind?

While we're talking about wish lists, what are the restrictions on green loads? It looks like the only green loads are 5 or 6 grain motors. I'm guessing there is a reason for this?

We found in testing that in shorter motors the green flame color gets washed out by the tracking smoke.

Jeroen

Last edited:
Jeroen, would it be possible to use the Pro 38 G115's 232 ISP white thunder propellant in larger (and longer) motors? As in, let's say, a Pro98 6GXL motor? Or will the added number of grains require a larger core diameter that will largely minimize the total impulse?

Last edited:
Jeroen , the 98mm 2 grain case has always been my favorite. I love the L3150 , it's a perfect booster motor for a 60 lb 2 stage. The M1560 is in my option , the most under realized / utilized cheap level 3 motor out there. I would rather fly a 98mm 2 grain then a 75mm 4 grain. Im thinking the c-star would be around a M1000 or so and the Imax should be around a M700. Both could be marketed for cheap cert three options.
Eric

I'd love some purple motors. Something like Scott Szympruch's formula. Also some more long-burn smokies and sparkies in 29 and 38 mm

Last edited:
And I'd still like something halfway between the extreme longburn of the mellows and the quick burn of the other propellants. Maybe a mellow that's still yellow?

Back