CTI Cesaroni Technology

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You do have to set the delay. But that's really easy. You just have to pop off the delay section, select the amount (in seconds) you want to take off from the standard, and drill. Then put it back on.

...unless of course you want the factory supplied delay, which is what I'm guessing is the point of this video, otherwise, it's a significant oversight to just skip that step entirely! Sure, it's not hard to do, but attention must be paid.
Keep in mind- if you buy the 29mm starter kit, you get the Pro38 delay adjustment tool with an adapter for 29mm delays. Makes going to 38mm super easy, since as was said earlier, 38s don't need a closure. I just bought the 54mm cert special from Apogee, and really like the 54 DAT- much more flexibility than the 38.

...unless of course you want the factory supplied delay, which is what I'm guessing is the point of this video, otherwise, it's a significant oversight to just skip that step entirely! Sure, it's not hard to do, but attention must be paid.
Keep in mind- if you buy the 29mm starter kit, you get the Pro38 delay adjustment tool with an adapter for 29mm delays. Makes going to 38mm super easy, since as was said earlier, 38s don't need a closure. I just bought the 54mm cert special from Apogee, and really like the 54 DAT- much more flexibility than the 38.

You can also skip the delay step if your doing dual deploy (but I like to use it as a backup).

Yes the 38mm delay tool is the same that's used for the 29mm and the 24mm. You just need the required adapter (super cheap).

I do like the 54mm much better as well. You can adjust by half second increments if your that precise, although you don't need to be that precise.

It's tough to go wrong with CTI. Motors load easy, light fast, and clean easy. You really can launch, clean, reload, and launch again fast. It's like butter.

Ditto that. But a lot of people like the fun of assembling the AT motors -- until they cato because someone left out an O-ring. :wink:

Ditto that. But a lot of people like the fun of assembling the AT motors -- until they cato because someone left out an O-ring. :wink:

and how about peoples who forget to put their CTI 38mm reload in a casing ?, a no I'm not an Aerotech fanboy, I receive a CTI order from Sunward this week. this was a beautiful tread until someone make it a CTI vs Aerotech crap instead of start is own tread.

and how about peoples who forget to put their CTI 38mm reload in a casing ?, a no I'm not an Aerotech fanboy, I receive a CTI order from Sunward this week. this was a beautiful tread until someone make it a CTI vs Aerotech crap instead of start is own tread.

If you are talking about me, I made it clear I was not asking about CTI vs. Aerotech. I was asking about the advantages of CTI reloads vs single-use motors. It's not a question about brands --- it's a question about the advantages of CTI reloads. Now I have my answers, so if the tread wants to go back to a topic that is not a crap, I'm fine with that.

Yes I've seen a few casings left out, then some pretty candles on the pad.

What is a good 54mm 1-2 grain motor that would make a 3 pound rocket disappear quick?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

What is a good 54mm 1-2 grain motor that would make a 3 pound rocket disappear quick?

You really want it to disappear fast how about the 2 grain J1055 VMAX!
Greg

You really want it to disappear fast how about the 2 grain J1055 VMAX!
Greg

I'll check that one out. And please correct me if I'm wrong but that's a L2 motor correct?

I'll check that one out. And please correct me if I'm wrong but that's a L2 motor correct?

Yes it is L2 but there is a 1grain I455 VMAX that is fast and L1

Greg

Yes it is L2 but there is a 1grain I455 VMAX that is fast and L1

Greg

Well this rocket is eventually going to be my L2 after a 38mm low test flight. So that first motor would be exactly what I am looking for!

I like the cStars .. but they only come in a handful of sizes...one is a single grain 54mm I165 .

Its not a thunder or vMax ..not a skidmark. .or a color. .they just mean business and usually have a few more Ns than the equivalent sized motors.

I think ANY of the 54s will get a 3lb rocket moving pretty good...

Kenny

Last edited:

If your looking for an L1 motor, there is also the I800 Vmax. But that's in the 38mm size (4-grains)

If your looking for an L1 motor, there is also the I800 Vmax. But that's in the 38mm size (4-grains)

That is a very good option to have. If one adapts down to 38 mm, there are roughly 45 CTI motors in the I and J class. You can dial in the motor that you like pretty well.

I just might be able to fit that one in there with an adapter. Like I said I want to test fly the rocket first. Then go for broke. But I only have 11 1/2 inches of motor area. So that limits me quite a bit on the 54mm side.

I just might be able to fit that one in there with an adapter. Like I said I want to test fly the rocket first. Then go for broke. But I only have 11 1/2 inches of motor area. So that limits me quite a bit on the 54mm side.

Well your in luck. The 38mm 4-grain casing is 11.5" long! And that I800 is great for lifting heavy rockets.

One last question. What 2 grain 54mm L2 motor has the shortest burn time?

One last question. What 2 grain 54mm L2 motor has the shortest burn time?

Most likely Vmax motors.

However I did some digging for ya. So in order from longest to shortest, we have to top five 54mm 1-2 grain motors:

5: I218 White Thunder, 1grain, 2.3s
4: J430 White Thunder, 2grain, 1.9s
3: I140 Skidmark, 1grain, 1.9s
2: I445 Vmax, 1grain, 1.1s
1: J1055 Vmax, 2grain, 0.7s

There are some 'animal by cessaroni' motors in there but I don't know the casing numbers to tell what is 1 or 2 grains.

Most likely Vmax motors.

However I did some digging for ya. So in order from longest to shortest, we have to top five 54mm 1-2 grain motors:

5: I218 White Thunder, 1grain, 2.3s
4: J430 White Thunder, 2grain, 1.9s
3: I140 Skidmark, 1grain, 1.9s
2: I445 Vmax, 1grain, 1.1s
1: J1055 Vmax, 2grain, 0.7s

There are some 'animal by cessaroni' motors in there but I don't know the casing numbers to tell what is 1 or 2 grains.

Wow. Thanks for helping me out with that. And I'm liking the J1055 more and more. And at 2grains it's also the longest motor I can use. Stupid limitations. Does the J1055 have a ejection charge? If not I'm gonna have some difficulties putting a charge that far from my electronics.

Wow. Thanks for helping me out with that. And I'm liking the J1055 more and more. And at 2grains it's also the longest motor I can use. Stupid limitations. Does the J1055 have a ejection charge? If not I'm gonna have some difficulties putting a charge that far from my electronics.

yes it as ejection charge, but I have 2 that fail on 3 launch with this motors, and I'm not the only one, I see few post here relating the same thing. A 54mm VMAX, you better have an altimeter as backup

yes it as ejection charge, but I have 2 that fail on 3 launch with this motors, and I'm not the only one, I see few post here relating the same thing. A 54mm VMAX, you better have an altimeter as backup

I do have an altimeter but it's in the nose. Maybe I should have mentioned the rocket is rear ejection.

I've had this problem before with the I800. There was someone at a local launch that used one and the delay grain didn't burn. Minor damages to the rocket. I had one with the same manufacturing date but wasn't concerned as I was using the Aeropack MD retainer. After the flight (or shred in my case) I checked the delay grain and sure enough it didn't burn.

I do have an altimeter but it's in the nose. Maybe I should have mentioned the rocket is rear ejection.

I see. Very limited in what you have. Why can't you put the ejection charge close to the nose cone? I would hope there is a bulkhead protecting those valuable electronics.

Back