Madcow Super DX3 project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windeavor

Reaction score
Almost done with my Madcow DD 4" Super DX3 all fiberglass project. Will add photos of av-bay and nose cone configuration when completed. Primer Dupli-Color, BT blue Dupli-Color, nose cone yellow Rustolium and clear coat Dupli-Color.

Big thanks to several on this forum for passing on their knowledge and creative ideas!!!

DSC_4690.jpg

DSC_4702.jpg

DSC_4714.jpg

DSC_4726.jpg

DSC_4722.jpg

DSC_4724.jpg

54mm Aero Pack motor retainer and 38mm Aero Pack motor adapter.
DSC_4703.jpg

DSC_4713.jpg

DSC_4707.jpg

DSC_4709.jpg

Decals from Stickershock23. Nice job on the decals Mark and very quick turn around.
DSC_4689.jpg

DSC_4688.jpg

West System epoxy fillets.
DSC_4677.jpg

Aeropoxy on internal fin fillets.
DSC_4673.jpg

All-thread permanently mounted into upper BT. Av-bay/coupler slides on and off all-thread for easy servicing.
DSC_4663.jpg

Look up inside fin can.
DSC_4657.jpg

DSC_4651.jpg

Beautiful ,absolutely !

You`ve done some very nice paintwork and overall craftsmanship on that build.

You are going to be pleased on how it flies and should take pretty much all you can throw into it.

Happy flying !

Paul T

Very Very nice !!!! I have the Mad Cow Frenzy XL but would trade for that rocket in a minute...Who needs the extra fins anyway?

Incredible paint job. I'm blown away

Holy Crap nice job. I have a DX3 too but not like that piece of art. Hope it flies as good as it looks. I love flying mine.

very nice job. What color of blue is that.
gp

Thanks all for the comments!!!

Crossfire the blue is Dupli-Color Metal Specks. The can doesn't say what shade of blue but it's pretty dark. I plan to install my tracking electronics (70cm radio band) up in the nose cone, so avoided metalic paint on the nose cone. Metal specks in the paint could cause issues with the transmitter's signal.

That's some spectacularly beautiful paint and bodywork there.

Makes my stuff look like I used a paint tray and roller.

I'd be interested in seeing your Alt bay in more detail.

That's some spectacularly beautiful paint and bodywork there.

Makes my stuff look like I used a paint tray and roller.

I'd be interested in seeing your Alt bay in more detail.

Thanks! I'll post av-bay pics as soon as its completed. With any luck it might get it's maiden flight at Lunar's Snow Ranch launch May 5th weather permitting. Are you planning to be there if it's a go for launch? If not I am definately planning on being at the May TCC Dairy Aire 2012 in Fresno. Was over in Stockton a few weeks ago getting some rocket supplies from Jack at What's Up Hobbies, and he got me fired up about Dairy Aire.

Yes, I plan on being at Snow Ranch on Cinco De Mayo. Many of the Sac Valley group (qquake2k, drobb, SacEsq) will probably be there as well. It's less than 90 minutes away for most of us and the field is big enough to launch some big birds.

Attending Tripoli Central Cali launches is another story for me. Their launch site is about 3 and a half hours each way. Dairy Aire and October Sky are both big 2-3 day events that are well worth attending. I've been to one of each in the past two years and have experienced windy conditions both times. Safe enough to launch and no problem with losing rockets, just long recovery hikes. Dairy Aire last year was on a disked field which was very tiring for me to walk on due to the furrows. YMMV. October Sky the prior year was on a nice smooth field.

Jack will be at the TCC launches with the traveling rocket shack and you may find other vendors there as well. Most importantly, these two events are probably the largest two high power launches in Northern and Central Cali.

Here's some photos of the nose cone. Used Aeropoxy to secure all-thread with washer and nuts to the tip of the cone. Cut out a ply donut and used Aeropoxy on the back side of the ply to secure into aft part of the cone. This allows access into the nose cone for rocket location transmitter which will be packed in bubble wrap and slid into cone. It also provides approx 3.5 inches extra head space in the upper BT for recovery equipement. Still need to drill shear pin holes and install metal pin cutters.

DSC_4729.jpg

DSC_4732.jpg

DSC_4733.jpg

DSC_4736.jpg

Yes, I plan on being at Snow Ranch on Cinco De Mayo. Many of the Sac Valley group (qquake2k, drobb, SacEsq) will probably be there as well. It's less than 90 minutes away for most of us and the field is big enough to launch some big birds.

Attending Tripoli Central Cali launches is another story for me. Their launch site is about 3 and a half hours each way. Dairy Aire and October Sky are both big 2-3 day events that are well worth attending. I've been to one of each in the past two years and have experienced windy conditions both times. Safe enough to launch and no problem with losing rockets, just long recovery hikes. Dairy Aire last year was on a disked field which was very tiring for me to walk on due to the furrows. YMMV. October Sky the prior year was on a nice smooth field.

Jack will be at the TCC launches with the traveling rocket shack and you may find other vendors there as well. Most importantly, these two events are probably the largest two high power launches in Northern and Central Cali.

Cool hope to meet you there.

I will definitely stop by to see your Super DX3 if we're both at Snow Ranch.

I just spotted your location in the post header. What an easy trip for you to get to the LUNAR launch site. It's Hwy 4 all the way!

That's why we depend on you Mark, cause most of us CAN'T paint like that.:clap:

Thanks all! Here are the last pics of the av-bay / coupler. The all-threat is permanently fastened to the upper BT. The av-bay just slides on and off as needed and nuts keep it in place. No rivets or screws needed through the BT.

DSC_4762.jpg

DSC_4763.jpg

Tape on the speaker to cut down volume while testing. Film on the MARSA 54 LCD remains until build is complete to protect screen.
DSC_4765.jpg

DSC_4766.jpg

DSC_4768.jpg

Last edited:

Yes that is copper fastened with SS hardware. Now I know they aren't lookers like your fine products but they get the job done. I've tested 2 charges so far on the upper BT with nose cone secured with shear pins. Used 1.5 gram FFFFH charges and it blew everything off and out without any problems. Copper still fully intact. Also did some test charges in the copper out of the rocket before using them. Other then weight and powder attacking the copper which is easily replaced, is there something I should know?

Last edited:
LOL Naaa the copper will work fine, I'm just biased is all:grin:, Build looks great.

Thanks! Will consider your fancier version in future upgrades / builds.:wink:

Thanks all for the comments!!!

Crossfire the blue is Dupli-Color Metal Specks. The can doesn't say what shade of blue but it's pretty dark. I plan to install my tracking electronics (70cm radio band) up in the nose cone, so avoided metalic paint on the nose cone. Metal specks in the paint could cause issues with the transmitter's signal.
Do you have any painting tips on how to get a nice finish like the one on your DX3?

Just lots of years painting all sorts of things. Sprayed and wet sanded both primer and a few thin coats of the blue till it was just right. Let it dry in approx 75 degree temps for a week then applied a few clear coats wet sanding in between till I was satisfied with the finish. I added some 3M Marine Protective wax at the end to give it a little deeper shine and a little UV protection. To be honest unless you plan to just showcase the bird it really isn't worth all the extra fuss. After a few flights it just get all dinged and scratched up anyways, at least where I fly.

Back